Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What's ballygarret like

Options
  • 11-05-2017 9:51am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,313 ✭✭✭

Can anyone tell me what's ballygarret like to live in
    Pros and cons???
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭SCRUB

Pros , it's right beside cahore my favourite place in this country. And best pub too :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭Nokia6230i

Pros: The Schooner! :)
    Macklemore (sadly closed).
    Bug Hotel installation near the graveyard.
    It's near to Cahore (walkable distance) and I love the Strand Bar there; it's currently on the market for €700k with Sherry Fitz (I love it in Wintertime when you're sitting cocooned while the wind & rain beat off the windows as much as during the Summertime with gorgeous views all year round)
    It's near to Donaghmore (opposite side to Cahore; Ballygarrett is situated in the middle more or less) which is beautiful & yer wan from Operation Transformation has a holiday home there...and there's a holiday home scheme there (think you can live there all year round now mind; used be an issue re tax breaks I think in the 80s/90s?)
    Tom Redmonds Shop; will always attract visitors.
    Salt Shaker opp. Pegs Bar
    Pegs Bar (though this could be a negative too....)
    Ballygarrett N.S.
    Realt Na Mara/Star of the Sea G.A.A. Club which're thriving at all age group levels

Negatives
    Zero public transport, which, for a seaside (ish) village is quite odd even on a seasonal basis
    Nursing home closed down in past few years; unsure why but it could be put back into use as a tourist hostel I would've thought...or even be put into private accommodation if someone'd pockets deep enough..?
    Secondary School options're in Guaire/Gorey, Enniscorthy, Wexford....unsure if there's school transport in form of buses.....
    No bank.....can't remember if there's even an ATM or a chargeback facility in Toms shop or the pubs (Pegs wouldn't have one that's for sure!)
    Isolation (again, this could be a positive also)

Will stand corrected but I don't think there's a Post Office unless in Tom Redmonds Shop (it's been a while since I was there) so if you were collecting benefits or sending letters you might be in a bit of a bind.....

I'd love to live there if I got a rental in the village mind......though would rather Cahore or Donaghmore if options came up.

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 3,584 Mod ✭✭✭✭St Senan

Nokia6230i wrote: »
    Pros: The Schooner! :)

Secondary School options're in Guaire/Gorey, Enniscorthy, Wexford....unsure if there's school transport in form of buses.....

The closest secondary level School is just 10 mins drive down the rd, Kilmuckridge Vocational College, Kilmuckridge village has most of what big towns have. Hotel, Pubs, Restaurents, Doctors, Supermarkets, post office, Petrol Station, Hardware shop, Undertakers, etc etc

• Registered Users Posts: 1,313 ✭✭✭Mr.Boots

Anyone else?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭secman

Mr.Boots wrote: »
    Anyone else?

It entirely depends on what you are looking for. I live in Dublin midweek and live close to Ballygarrett at weekends, and every available time off. I really enjoy the contrast, friends of mine moved down permanently and the gloss has worn off somewhat for them, understandably, it's now where they live rather than a bolthole.

• Advertisement
Advertisement