Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Landlord won't replace broken equipment

Options
  • 11-05-2017 10:50am
    Registered Users Posts: 523 ✭✭✭

Ok, this is a pretty minor issue, but I just want to check my understanding of things.

We are long term tenants of a house. No problems with the landlord, they leave us alone, we leave them alone, everything is hunky dory.

The lawnmower is broken beyond economic repair, just old age. Repair shop said better of just going and buying a new one.

I told the landlord and he replied and said landlord is not obliged to provide garden equipment. Fair enough, except this lawnmower is the landlord's, and was there when we moved in. In our original lease there is a term requiring us to keep the garden in good order.

Now I don't want to make a big deal about it, but my understanding is that he should replace it if it was there at the beginning and we are expected to maintain the garden?

I am ok with just buying a replacement as long as it is agreed that it is no longer an item on the inventory (as in it is now 'mine') and we will not have our deposit deducted at some point in the future because of it.

Thoughts?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭mugsymugsy

Buy your own and keep receipt. Email / text to tell him you are doing this.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭jlm29

I always understood that if the landlord wants the outside to be maintained, he either provided a lawnmower, or organised to have someone cut the grass. This is probably the done thing though, rather than actual legislation!
    If you ring him and tell him is broken "beyond economic repair" and ask him to remove it, I do t see how it can jeopardise your deposit, as he will have gotten his property back.

Advertisement