Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

House sharing with couple - Put in difficult situation

• 11-05-2017 10:58am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭

Hi there,

Not sure where is best to post this but need advice on an awkward situation i've inadvertently been put in. Living with a couple the last 2/3 months. We were living in one house and the landlord was taking back the old house. I was only staying short term, but it ended up I was going to stay longer. Couple found nicer new apartment and asked me if I wanted to go with them. I agreed. Moved in to new place a few weeks now. Couple originally had keys for both places while making the transaction. The girl was away the last week. The guy asked me to drive to said old house to collect post. He gets there realises one of the locks has been changed (there's a double lock). Says to me if he wants to play dirty I can too. So he double locked the door. The couple have received their deposit back and squared everything with the landlord. I get a message off him the next day saying We weren't in (Old house name). So I never said anything or thought too much of it. Got home last night and the girl says to me, landlord is messaging me asking who locked the door, why is the door double locked etc, can you get whoever did it to unlock it. She basically messaged him back saying she has no clue what he's on about that they have no keys. She is completely unaware that her bf has keys and he's basically asked me to lie for him. I just said "Oh really" and didn't know what to say. She was living there for 3 years and he only moved in a few weeks before the end of the agreement. He's making a fool out of her and making me look bad if this comes out, not to mention making me feel really uncomfortable. More to the point he had no right to hang on to the keys and just walk in to the house as their agreement had ended and deposit returned etc. I messaged him last night saying "You're going to have to tell GF what happened, landlord is hassling her and she's asking me questions. I feel like a right div and very uncomfortable with this situation"

Should I just come out straight and tell her if he doesn't. I've given him the opportunity so i'm not going behind anyones back. I don't like this situation one bit and either way my living situation/peace is going to be compromised by his actions. Also if my car was seen outside the house, i'm imagining he could easily pin this story on me and say i'm lying, I had keys etc. Any advice greatly appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 535 ✭✭✭CiboC

It's totally unfair that he is expecting you to take the heat for his actions.

Give him a deadline for him to fess up to his partner that it was him who locked the door, and tell him if he doesn't you will come clean instead, tell him you shouldn't be made have to look like a sh1t because of his actions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭Danniboo

I know, and I don't know what his intentions where for keeping the keys either. Then to lie to his partner about it. I feel so sorry for her for being stuck with such a moron. They're both at home today and i'm working. He's working tonight so if he hasn't told her by then i'm going to tell her.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 535 ✭✭✭CiboC

Just give him the chance to own up first, so he has the opportunity to come out of it with some dignity intact....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,578 ✭✭✭Scraggs

I'd just tell her, I can't understand why he wanted the big cover up in the first place. He sounds like a right dose.

Scraggs wrote: »
    I'd just tell her, I can't understand why he wanted the big cover up in the first place. He sounds like a right dose.

Yeap, that's exactly what i'm worried about

• Advertisement

He intentionally locked the door, knowing the landlord probably wouldn't be able to get back in. My other housemate could very well be suspecting me for all I know.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭Ms Doubtfire1

Ugh. just mention to her he has keys in a passing way. It's not your fight, don't get involved.You owe him nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭conorhal

Just tell her he did it. I'm baffled as to WHY he did it, I'm baffled as to why you were standing there watching him do it and didn't tell him to cop on and not act the fool.
    Tell her, then tell him and send him off the go around immediately and unlock the door then appologise to the landlord. Make something up if you have to, tell him there was a mis communication, he went around to access the property, couldn't gain access and decided to lock it back up and double locked it by mistake. (why doesn't the landlord have keys for all the front door locks anyway?)

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭shel64

He sounds immature, Just give him a 24 hour deadline to come clean ,if he doesn't come clean tell her, he isn't showing respect for her is he?

conorhal wrote: »
    Just tell her he did it. I'm baffled as to WHY he did it, I'm baffled as to why you were standing there watching him do it and didn't tell him to cop on and not act the fool.
    Tell her, then tell him and send him off the go around immediately and unlock the door then appologise to the landlord. Make something up if you have to, tell him there was a mis communication, he went around to access the property, couldn't gain access and decided to lock it back up and double locked it by mistake. (why doesn't the landlord have keys for all the front door locks anyway?)

I wasn't standing WATCHING anyone do anything. I was turning my car and thought the whole situation was perfectly normal. I didn't know they had squared things with the landlord and the keys were supposed to have been given back. I won't be telling anyone to do anything. It's up to him and his gf to sort things out. I simply want to tell his gf as I don't like being stuck in this situation and keeping secrets for anyone.

I'm baffled as to why you think it's my duty to communicate to the landlord and make anything up on his behalf. I have met the landlord once. I sublet through the couple. I don't even have his number. The girl in the house has all dealings with him, I give her my rent. I'm not going to tell HER bf to go around and sort this out.

• Advertisement

shel64 wrote: »
    He sounds immature, Just give him a 24 hour deadline to come clean ,if he doesn't come clean tell her, he isn't showing respect for her is he?

He's completely making a fool out of her.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭pilly

Danniboo wrote: »
    I wasn't standing WATCHING anyone do anything. I was turning my car and thought the whole situation was perfectly normal. I didn't know they had squared things with the landlord and the keys were supposed to have been given back. I won't be telling anyone to do anything. It's up to him and his gf to sort things out. I simply want to tell his gf as I don't like being stuck in this situation and keeping secrets for anyone.

I'm baffled as to why you think it's my duty to communicate to the landlord and make anything up on his behalf. I have met the landlord once. I sublet through the couple. I don't even have his number. The girl in the house has all dealings with him, I give her my rent. I'm not going to tell HER bf to go around and sort this out.

So why are you getting so wound up about the situation so? If you've no dealings with the LL then I'd just stay out of it.

Your original post is confusing tbh in that you say the door was already double locked and then he told you to double lock it? I don't actually understand what happened but if you didn't want to be involved in the first place then you shouldn't have even gone there.

pilly wrote: »
    So why are you getting so wound up about the situation so? If you've no dealings with the LL then I'd just stay out of it.

Your original post is confusing tbh in that you say the door was already double locked and then he told you to double lock it? I don't actually understand what happened but if you didn't want to be involved in the first place then you shouldn't have even gone there.

He told me he was just going to check if there's post there. How is there anything sinister in that? The door was locked, the landlord changed one of the locks. My housemate had keys. He was able to double lock the door because one of the locks wasn't changed. No one told me to double lock anything. I'm wound up because i'm being asked to lie to his GF, who is also my housemate and being put in a really uncomfortable situation. I have to live with both of them.

I never said anywhere in my original post that he asked me to lock the door or otherwise

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭shel64

Trouble is if he's like this and you live with them both you will be brought into things, maybe find somewhere else if he seems to be long term, can't see it myself, he will probably go home to mum

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,151 ✭✭✭stargazer 68

I'm wound up because i'm being asked to lie to his GF, who is also my housemate and being put in a really uncomfortable situation. I have to live with both of them.

You aren't being asked to lie though - she asked who locked the door and you didn't tell her it was her BF. You didn't say in your OP that he told you to not to tell her.

I get a message off him the next day saying We weren't in (Old house name).

I did. He asked me to lie about being there in the first place.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭pilly

He told me he was just going to check if there's post there. How is there anything sinister in that? The door was locked, the landlord changed one of the locks. My housemate had keys. He was able to double lock the door because one of the locks wasn't changed. No one told me to double lock anything. I'm wound up because i'm being asked to lie to his GF, who is also my housemate and being put in a really uncomfortable situation. I have to live with both of them.

I never said anywhere in my original post that he asked me to lock the door or otherwise

Okay, I get it now. Tbf to everyone the way you've typed the OP is very confusing and all in one paragraph so not easy to understand.

Maybe re-read it yourself and you'll see why people are confused.

Even the above is confusing to be honest. The door was locked (locks were changed) but he was able to lock it because one of the locks wasn't changed? How many locks were on the door?

The guy asked me to drive to said old house to collect post. He gets there realises one of the locks has been changed (there's a double lock). Says to me if he wants to play dirty I can too. So he double locked the door.

The door was locked, the landlord changed one of the locks. My housemate had keys. He was able to double lock the door because one of the locks wasn't changed.

So your housemate found that the lock was changed on an apartment he had no right to access and decided to double-lock it and now the landlord can't access his own property? What a knob!

Don't ask, TELL him to "find" the keys and give them to his girlfriend to give back to the landlord.

If I was the landlord I'd be raging.

pilly wrote: »
    Okay, I get it now. Tbf to everyone the way you've typed the OP is very confusing and all in one paragraph so not easy to understand.

Maybe re-read it yourself and you'll see why people are confused.

Even the above is confusing to be honest. The door was locked (locks were changed) but he was able to lock it because one of the locks wasn't changed? How many locks were on the door?

I said one of the locks was changed but my housemate was able to double lock the door as the other obviously wasn't changed. I don't think the landlord lives nearby so not sure what his key situation is, but weird my housemate still has keys and my gf believed he didn't. She has lived there so long and minded the place like her own. I can't believe her own partner would put something like this on her and make her look like a fool and a liar.

So your housemate found that the lock was changed on an apartment he had no right to access and decided to double-lock it and now the landlord can't access his own property? What a knob!

Don't ask, TELL him to "find" the keys and give them to his girlfriend to give back to the landlord.

If I was the landlord I'd be raging.

Yes that's pretty much the gist.

I thought from his tone the landlord hadn't given them back their deposit and/or the lease wasn't completed on the other place. I nearly died when I found out what he had actually done and the fact they were officially moved out, he just locked the door etc. I didn't think i'd be dragged in to it though. I thought it was just an innocent trip to look for post.

• Advertisement

He hasn't responded to my message. I was talking to her earlier and she never mentioned anything. Surprise, surprise. I just messaged him saying "GFs name could think I have keys which is really unfair, can you please tell her today or I will have to say something tonight"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 499 ✭✭Aimeee

He hasn't responded to my message. I was talking to her earlier and she never mentioned anything. Surprise, surprise. I just messaged him saying "GFs name could think I have keys which is really unfair, can you please tell her today or I will have to say something tonight"

You're giving him a chance to tell the truth so if he doesn't by tonight definitely tell her. Tell her also what you said earlier about not knowing the full situation when he asked you to pop back to the old house. (If I'm understanding the story correctly).
    What a fool he is. She may as well find out now what he's like.
    Annoying that she was a good tenant and this idiot comes along and sours things.

Aimeee wrote: »
    You're giving him a chance to tell the truth so if he doesn't by tonight definitely tell her. Tell her also what you said earlier about not knowing the full situation when he asked you to pop back to the old house. (If I'm understanding the story correctly).
    What a fool he is. She may as well find out now what he's like.
    Annoying that she was a good tenant and this idiot comes along and sours things.

I know it really is and now he's made our living arrangement difficult on top of things. He should definitely move back to mammys. 29 going on 15.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,311 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

She was living there for 3 years and he only moved in a few weeks before the end of the agreement.
    IMO, I'd say he'll tell her that you were the one that double locked the door, but he now has the keys, or some such sh|t.

Meh.

If he's like this now, sounds like he'll be a joy to live with :rolleyes:

the_syco wrote: »
    IMO, I'd say he'll tell her that you were the one that double locked the door, but he now has the keys, or some such sh|t.

Meh.

If he's like this now, sounds like he'll be a joy to live with :rolleyes:

I gave HER my keys when we moved in to the new place. So hopefully that shouldn't be an issue unless she thinks i'm conniving enough to get a second set cut. I'm just really angry i've been put in this situation. I just wanted to have a peaceful home environment without drama or issues.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,133 ✭✭✭GottaGetGatt

Yer man is a dope tbh. Tell the Donkey to go over and unlock the door and leave the keys there and don't you be worrying about it.

Yer man is a dope tbh. Tell the Donkey to go over and unlock the door and leave the keys there and don't you be worrying about it.

I've a feeling that it's going to get out in the wash either way and i'd rather say it out straight to her now than for her to find out her BF and her housemate were keeping secrets. How bad does that look.

Advertisement