Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

cyclist and truck incident in smithfield this morning

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭ellobee

Why do you think the headline is misleading and inaccurate??

• Registered Users Posts: 3,113 ✭✭✭mr spuckler

ellobee wrote: »

because without any detail or witness account it says that the cyclist collided with the truck not the other way around, thereby implying that the cyclist is at fault.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,769 ✭✭✭cython

because without any detail or witness account it says that the cyclist collided with the truck not the other way around, thereby implying that the cyclist is at fault.

Much and all as I hate LD, they are simply phrasing it as 98fm did, so I'd suggest highlighting them as the ones to mislead.

Hopefully he is not too seriously injured in any case.

I saw the aftermath of this incident. It looked serious but I didn't want to look to closely so can't say more than that. It's a dangerous enough junction, particularly if you don't know it well. Either way the lorry clearly turned left from the right hand lane (which is legal). Where the cyclist was at that point I couldn't say but it looked like he may have been on the left hand side of the right lane and hoping to go straight on (also legal). That's the most obvious interpretation of what I saw anyway.

I hope he is OK - it was a big lorry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

ellobee wrote: »

They should say there was a collision involving a cyclist and a truck.

The heading in this case isn't the worst I've seen. You might think its being pedantic, but there's a definite anti cyclist bias to much of irish media reporting.

• Advertisement

beauf wrote: »

The heading in this case isn't the worst I've seen. You might think its being pedantic, but there's a definite anti cyclist bias to much of irish media reporting.

there definitely is a recurring a theme to the reporting on these incidents and this type of headline crops up too often.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,617 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

it happened recently with that case of the motorist driving without lights - several news outlets reported it as the cyclist having struck the car.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 758 ✭✭✭Rakish Paddy

I saw the aftermath of this accident just as the paramedics were arriving and it really shook me. The cyclist was lying on the road and didn't seem to be moving when I passed by. I hope he pulls through OK.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭OldBean

I hope everyone involved comes out ok, but it definitely sounds/looked serious.

This has hit pretty close to home.

I had a huge argument with a Garda on a bike about this about 6 months ago on this exact spot. He threatened myself and my wife with a fine for taking the lane on this road to turn right. He said all cyclists should stay on the left where the bike lane is, and move from there to the right hand turn.

The Garda made a pretty big deal of us being in the centre of the right lane turning right when there was a bike lane on the left hand side of the left lane, and threatened other cyclists doing the same while we were arguing - He said he's never had an issue crossing both lanes to turn right, which I'd well believe when you're cycling a Garda bike with 'Garda' written across your back.

He didn't issue us with a fine. Some other cyclists stopped and backed up what we were saying. Another Garda stopped and told the Garda on the bike he was wrong and he'd be best walk away but I've seen him there since doing the same thing.

I'm not saying he had anything to do with this accident, but it's hard enough to encourage safe cycling when people are being told tucking in to left on a junction like that is the right thing to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭irishrover99

Having lived in Smithfield for about 7 years i would say this turn is one i always hated while driving a car or even crossing at the traffic lights while walking.
    I just went by the accident about an hour ago and the Garda had the place blocked off and the Garda photographer was taking pictures which made it look like a serious matter to me. I only seen the aftermath of that ladys accident on the Templeville road a few weeks ago and this look very similar.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,866 ✭✭✭daheff

but "without any detail or witness account" if it said the "other way around" it would also be misleading or inaccurate.

It should have said a collision between truck & bike...not either crashing into the other.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,499 ✭✭✭Carlos Orange

cython wrote: »
    Much and all as I hate LD, they are simply phrasing it as 98fm did, so I'd suggest highlighting them as the ones to mislead.

Hopefully he is not too seriously injured in any case.

They say "bike and a truck collided" collided (now anyway).
    Mind you the junction they reference doesn't seem to exist.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,769 ✭✭✭cython

psinno wrote: »
    They say "bike and a truck collided" collided (now anyway).
    Mind you the junction they reference doesn't seem to exist.

That has been updated since, as has the headline on the article. Too much to hope that they might note these details, mind :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,202 ✭✭✭maximoose

OldBean wrote: »

I had a huge argument with a Garda on a bike about this about 6 months ago on this exact spot. He threatened myself and my wife with a fine for taking the lane on this road to turn left. He said all cyclists should stay on the left where the bike lane is, and move from there to the right hand turn.

The Garda made a pretty big deal of us being in the centre of the right lane turning right

Sorry just confused here, which way were you turning?

It can be a confusing junction, fingers crossed the person involved is ok.

daheff wrote: »
    but "without any detail or witness account" if it said the "other way around" it would also be misleading or inaccurate.

It should have said a collision between truck & bike...not either crashing into the other.

agreed. i didn't make myself at all clear but my issue is that it's always written the way it was here, not that it should be rewritten to imply blame for the other road user!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,965 ✭✭✭✭Zulu

Which junction?

Anyway who's honestly suggesting it's the cyclists fault? :rolleyes:

maximoose wrote: »
    Sorry just confused here, which way were you turning?

It can be a confusing junction, fingers crossed the person involved is ok.

I'm turning right, so moved to the right hand lane and took up a position central on it.

As I'm sure you know, it's pretty common for people to park along the right hand side of the road and it's one of those streets that seems to invite motorists to accelerate pretty hard so if I feel I need to, I'll take the centre of the lane so any cars behind me that are also turning right won't force me too close to the curb directly after making the turn, and keep me out of harms way from car doors. I'm well lit up and have reflectors on the rear of my bike. I take the left hand turn pretty much straight after.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭Blowfish

The Garda made a pretty big deal of us being in the centre of the right lane turning right when there was a bike lane on the left hand side of the left lane, and threatened other cyclists doing the same while we were arguing - He said he's never had an issue crossing both lanes to turn right, which I'd well believe when you're cycling a Garda bike with 'Garda' written across your back.
    I really wish there was better training for the Gardai when it comes to cycling safety. Even the Rules of the Road disagree with him (p188):
    ROTR wrote:
    When turning right, get into the centre or just left of centre of the right turning lane. This helps to prevent a vehicle overtaking you whilst you are changing direction. Look behind and give the proper signal before you move out and ensure traffic in that lane is not going straight ahead. On steep hills or busy roads, pull into the left-hand side of the road and wait until there is a break in traffic in both directions to let you make the turn safely.
    From looking at the junction, I'd do exactly the same thing, to try and prevent what happened today.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,926 ✭✭✭trellheim

This is currently one of my commutes on two wheels ( North King St to Georges Lane and thence to Stoneybatter ) .

That right turn is exceedingly dangerous for experienced cyclists , you must take the lane fully to be safe sometimes . As someone on the thread has said, North King St seems to attract motorists driving at a higher speed and it can get very hairy indeed . If you maintain position on the south side of North King St till the very end to cross to Georges Lane you will have a very very unsafe cycling experience . Night time in wind and rain makes this worse. That plus people parking on the north side to go to the Gym etc or the Indian makes it even worse.

Thoughts with the cyclist concerned

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,942 ✭✭✭Danbo!

He suffered what are being described as "serious injuries" to his arm.

From: http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/news/cyclist-seriously-injured-after-recycling-truck-collision-35703985.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

beauf wrote: »

I'm sure the phrasing was similar on Newstalk last night regarding the incident in Kerry, made it sound like the cyclist collided with the tractor.

edit: Just listened back,
    the woman was cycling a bike which hit a tractor
    is the exact phrasing used. You can only really abstract one meaning from that if you adhere to the English language.

I'm glad to hear it wasn't a fatal accident. I hope the chap that went down has a solid recovery ahead.

The Google Maps image on IrishCycle.com really shows what an awful junction it is to have to try turn right from the bike lane.
    Blowfish wrote: »
    I really wish there was better training for the Gardai when it comes to cycling safety. Even the Rules of the Road disagree with him (p188):

From looking at the junction, I'd do exactly the same thing, to try and prevent what happened today.

I should have included in my original post, the reasons given by the Garda for threatening a fixed penalty fine on us was not using a cycle lane and holding up traffic (it was 10am on a Sunday morning, there was no traffic on the road but that's beside the point considering both myself and my wife on bicycles should be considered traffic and were travelling 24-27kph in an area with a 30kph speed limit...). Both of which could fit in under section 4b of the FPN for cyclists:

Cyclist driving a pedal cycle without reasonable consideration

I argued it with him at the time, and would have again in court if he issued the fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭Mac-Chops

Majority of traffic will turn left at this junction and people generally don't indicate that they're doing this I've found.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

....I should have included in my original post, the reasons given by the Garda for threatening a fixed penalty fine on us was not using a cycle lane and holding up traffic (it was 10am on a Sunday morning, there was no traffic on the road but that's beside the point considering both myself and my wife on bicycles should be considered traffic and were travelling 24-27kph in an area with a 30kph speed limit...). Both of which could fit in under section 4b of the FPN for cyclists:

Cyclist driving a pedal cycle without reasonable consideration

I argued it with him at the time, and would have again in court if he issued the fine.
    You're very restrained!

I would have demanded to be charged/fined and look forward to arguing my point in court. I've tried that a couple of times but Gardai suddenly seem reluctant to charge/fine when you put it up to them.

Danbo! wrote: »

Glad to hear this wasn't fatal. It didn't look that way this morning.

It's a terrible junction. When I cycled that route I usually just pulled up on the left and waited for the pedestrian lights to change before turning right.

WRT the Guard on the bicycle, I suspect I know the person you are talking about. I have had my own run in with him in the same area. Apparently in these days of scarce resources it pays to have a guard lecture cyclists at great length about incredibly minor (or just invented) infractions of the rules of the road.

You're very restrained!

I would have demanded to be charged/fined and look forward to arguing my point in court. I've tried that a couple of times but Gardai suddenly seem reluctant to charge/fine when you put it up to them.
    I'm good at civil arguing - it's not often you get one Garda to tell another they're wrong. Felt good.
    WRT the Guard on the bicycle, I suspect I know the person you are talking about. I have had my own run in with him in the same area. Apparently in these days of scarce resources it pays to have a guard lecture cyclists at great length about incredibly minor (or just invented) infractions of the rules of the road.

I've no doubt it's the same person. Badge number beginning with 4?

He's previously told cyclists to use the footpaths and quote his badge number, saying he's given permission to cycle there if any other other Gardaì stop you.

In light of this mornings incident, I'd head into the station if I thought it'd do any good... will it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 758 ✭✭✭Rakish Paddy

It's a terrible junction, both for bad driver behaviour and bad cyclist behaviour.

- Drivers in the right lane who are turning left tend not to bother indicating at all. I really don't understand this one. From casual observation there I'd put the number at about 4 out of 5 drivers not bothering to indicate.

- I've both had and observed near misses where drivers turning left went straight through the red lights at a fair speed while the pedestrian green man was lit. An absolute jackass of a taxi driver nearly flattened me doing that.

- A load of eejits cycle on the footpath past the HIQA building and either come around the corner on the footpath straight into pedestrians on North King St, or come off the path and cut straight across the right turn lane, into the middle of the junction, to get into the lanes with the left-turning traffic. I've seen this both where there was oncoming traffic and where the pedestrians had the green man. Silly move either way.

- Most scarily of all, you'll often see some of the indigenous tracksuited scrotes (and the occasional deliveroo courier) cycling the wrong way down North King St into oncoming traffic.

And the one thing I've never seen there is any kind of Garda traffic corps enforcement!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,617 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

In light of this mornings incident, I'd head into the station if I thought it'd do any good... will it?
    given that it's possible that this morning's victim may have been ordered to do the same by the same garda, it may be worth making a statement on it.

this is said with the clear optimism that the gardai will not protect one of their own, clearly.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭OleRodrigo

I've little doubt that cycling in Dublin will get worse - more injuries, more frequently - before it gets better.

We're getting close to a point where you need next level skills to keep yourself safe.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement