Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

cyclist and truck incident in smithfield this morning

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭Parchment

OleRodrigo wrote: »
    I've little doubt that cycling in Dublin will get worse - more injuries, more frequently - before it gets better.

We're getting close to a point where you need next level skills to keep yourself safe.

You can have all the skills you want but if a car hits you thats it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭triggermortis

OleRodrigo wrote: »
    We're getting close to a point where you need next level skills to keep yourself safe.

That's me screwed then.... :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭Garzard

This occurred right around the corner of my workplace. Was confused to find the general area blocked off by Garda on my way in this morning until seeing the truck and crushed bike at the junction.

I use that juncture to exit Smithfield and it can be frustrating at the best of times - as others have mentioned it's very heavily used and I've observed most motorists not bothering to indicate left from the right-hand lane. On the way in I typically find myself forced to dismount and cross the pedestrian lights instead of continuing straight because I can't rely on motorists to indicate left. Very easy to be caught out.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

...- Drivers in the right lane who are turning left tend not to bother indicating at all. I really don't understand this one. From casual observation there I'd put the number at about 4 out of 5 drivers not bothering to indicate.....
    The reason they don't indicate is that they are not 'turning' as such and simply following the normal flow as both lanes turn to the left with priority. To go straight on there you are effectively 'turning right'.

It would be utterly insane for any cyclist intending going straight on to George's Lane/North Brunswick Street to remain in the cycle lane. Effectively you'd be making a right turn from the left lane.

(Ironic that this junction is on the doorstep of the DPP's Office).

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,083 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

OldBean wrote: »
    I hope everyone involved comes out ok, but it definitely sounds/looked serious.

This has hit pretty close to home.

I had a huge argument with a Garda on a bike about this about 6 months ago on this exact spot. He threatened myself and my wife with a fine for taking the lane on this road to turn right. He said all cyclists should stay on the left where the bike lane is, and move from there to the right hand turn.

The Garda made a pretty big deal of us being in the centre of the right lane turning right when there was a bike lane on the left hand side of the left lane, and threatened other cyclists doing the same while we were arguing - He said he's never had an issue crossing both lanes to turn right, which I'd well believe when you're cycling a Garda bike with 'Garda' written across your back.

He didn't issue us with a fine. Some other cyclists stopped and backed up what we were saying. Another Garda stopped and told the Garda on the bike he was wrong and he'd be best walk away but I've seen him there since doing the same thing.

I'm not saying he had anything to do with this accident, but it's hard enough to encourage safe cycling when people are being told tucking in to left on a junction like that is the right thing to do.

I used to use the junction daily -- that's unreal and that garda needs to be complained about if he's doing that again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭alexf1

I used to live around the corner and drive that road daily, but never cycled (for fear of being killed actually). The cars turning left onto Queen Street from both lanes on North King Street do not, and should not, indicate left. They are effectively going straight ahead. All cars turning right from the right lane of King street should indicate right (very very very few do that though). I've witnesses countless near misses with pedestrians (and cyclists crossing from the footpath) with cars turning right without indicating.

I feel ill thinking about the poor cyclist and hopefully it's not as serious as I've heard it may be. The cycle lane isn't much use on that road and in fact should be removed. Cyclists should be in the middle of the normal traffic lanes there. The speed limit is 30km/h anyway. There are always cars parked both sides, driveways and junctions exit onto the road from both sides, cars turn into the little car park at the top of the square etc. It's nuts to force bikes into that cycle lane.

As for the garda, I'd be making a complaint.

alexf1 wrote: »
    I used to live around the corner and drive that road daily, but never cycled (for fear of being killed actually). The cars turning left onto Queen Street from both lanes on North King Street do not, and should not, indicate left. They are effectively going straight ahead.

What exactly makes you think that you don't have to indicate?

There's nothing to suggest that one turn is more minor than the other.

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭alexf1

monument wrote: »
    What exactly makes you think that you don't have to indicate?

There's nothing to suggest that one turn is more minor than the other.

That's the way it looks to me from the road markings

• Registered Users Posts: 7,515 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

if this is the jusction in question then there is no need or reason to indicate left. indicating left would signal lane changes. no indicator means following the road as it follows around the bend

anyone in the left lane trying to go straight there is completely wrong. its irrelivent if its a truck, car or cyclist, you cant just cross across a lane like that

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 161 ✭✭Allah snackbar

I would think a cyclist would hold the right lane to go straight , no motorist or cyclist should be in the left lane going straight

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭DanDublin1982

Hopefully the cyclist makes a full recovery.

That junction really is a pox, and I've only ever gone through it in a car.

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭ellobee

I would think a cyclist would hold the right lane to go straight , no motorist or cyclist should be in the left lane going straight
    The road markings are poor, There is a broken white line continuing around the bend in the road, if this was a solid white line then all traffic in the left lane would have to stay in that lane. also the last time I was on that road there were no directional arrows painted on the road. I would also agree that indicating left is not required as the main 2 lane road sweeps around to the left with all other traffic having to give way, and the road to the right is a smaller minor road branching off the main road and you should probably indicate right for this road. But its definitely time this junction was redesigned to cater for cyclists who want to go right.

alexf1 wrote: »
    That's the way it looks to me from the road markings

What exact road markings?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭Moflojo

417164.jpg

The road markings and layout suggest that the right hand lane continues around the bend to the left, and a driver in the right hand lane wouldn't necessarily need to indicate left in order to follow the bend around to the left. This is my interpretation of this junction whether I am driving or cycling this route. Generally, I always indicate left when I am in the right lane, but it's mostly to deter drivers pulling out in front of me coming from the Stoneybatter/Blackhall Place direction.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭Fian

I understand that the injuries were very serious.

I hope the cyclist recovers to the maximum.

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭superd1978

Does anyone know if this guy is ok? My apartment overlooks the accident scene, it was a disturbing seen and noise to wake up to yesterday morning. im still getting flashbacks.

The guards described his injuries as extreme, so Id really like to know if this guy is ok, if anyone has any info. Ill keep an eye on this thread.

Thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

Just had a look at that "cyclist crusher" junction on google maps. My god, that's an awful layout. I like the little piece of off road cycle track to prevent pinching turning left, but it creates a new problem, who has right of way on the merge?

The Guard is 100% in the wrong here. That's just a fool following his perception of the law to the letter. A bit of cop on wouldn't go amiss. Your life is more important than his opinion. That he had the audacity to threaten a "catch all" charge when you didn't agree, just speaks volumes. A bully is what he is.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Moflojo wrote: »

The road markings and layout suggest that the right hand lane continues around the bend to the left, and a driver in the right hand lane wouldn't necessarily need to indicate left in order to follow the bend around to the left. This is my interpretation of this junction whether I am driving or cycling this route. Generally, I always indicate left when I am in the right lane, but it's mostly to deter drivers pulling out in front of me coming from the Stoneybatter/Blackhall Place direction.

Ah now I understand where it happened. That whole stretch coming from Bolton street is awful for any vehicle. Often full of kamikaze taxis stopping/starting at the mater rapid clinic.When I drive along there it always annoys me when someone comes from the right lane and turns left...even in the car I find it a major hazard. Would hate to be cycling along here.

Best wishes to this guy. Awful couple of days of news for cyclists again.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,683 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

IIRC

LovinDublin have had a few anti-cyclist articles.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

Tombo2001 wrote: »
    IIRC

LovinDublin have had a few anti-cyclist articles.....

Just search articles relating to cycling. "This video just shows how dangerous it is to cycle in Dublin" is a common occurrence. Just crappy "reporting" (story writing would be more apt).

• Advertisement

Just search articles relating to cycling. "This video just shows how dangerous it is to cycle in Dublin" is a common occurrence. Just crappy "reporting" (story writing would be more apt).

What about this one

://lovindublin.com/opinion/why-i-hate-dublin-city-cyclists

or this one

://lovindublin.com/news/these-cartoon-anti-cyclist-posters-have-been-spotted-in-howth

or this one

://lovindublin.com/dublin/the-five-types-of-annoying-cyclists-you-see-everyday-in-dublin

or this one
    ://lovindublin.com/video/a-dublin-cyclist-is-coming-under-fire-for-uploading-a-video-of-this-exchange

This website has form. It has been a platform for bashing cyclists.

No doubt they will follow this up with some story about how great cyclists are just to show that this isn't really the case.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,413 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

LD is on my to-read list right between the Daily Mail and The Sun.

By linking those threads like that, you're helping them rank higher in Google.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,474 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

Anna Nolan - Why i hate cyclists -
    "they dont wear protective lighting !?!?!

What a F***tard .......

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... " #NoPopcorn

Ok then _ think the message that we should be sending out should be very much about media outlets that target cyclists and that cyclists should avoid engagement with those media outlets.

Any thoughts?

Tombo2001 wrote: »
    Ok then _ think the message that we should be sending out should be very much about media outlets that target cyclists and that cyclists should avoid engagement with those media outlets.

Any thoughts?

My thoughts ... the "CycleDub" guy is a gob sh1te !!! WTF?? :eek::eek:
    Talk about giving 'commuters' a bad name ! :mad::mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 440 ✭✭gmacww

This is actually the first time I've ever been on their website and I went to view the video.

lovindublin.com/video/a-dublin-cyclist-is-coming-under-fire-for-uploading-a-video-of-this-exchange

It's not there however of course I recognise the uploaders name. He's a tool pure and simple. Funny thing is one of the quoted comments on the video is something I actually did on my commute about 3 weeks ago. A lady was blocking the cycle lane in Rathmines as she had a puncture. When I stopped she thought I was about to give out to her and she apologised for blocking the lane. I fixed it for her so she could get home. So much less hassle and energy wasted than going the youtube route. She was so grateful and it gave me good karma and feelings all day too. I'd helped a fellow commuter.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,113 ✭✭✭mr spuckler

gmacww wrote: »
    This is actually the first time I've ever been on their website and I went to view the video.

lovindublin.com/video/a-dublin-cyclist-is-coming-under-fire-for-uploading-a-video-of-this-exchange

It's not there however of course I recognise the uploaders name. He's a tool pure and simple. Funny thing is one of the quoted comments on the video is something I actually did on my commute about 3 weeks ago. A lady was blocking the cycle lane in Rathmines as she had a puncture. When I stopped she thought I was about to give out to her and she apologised for blocking the lane. I fixed it for her so she could get home. So much less hassle and energy wasted than going the youtube route. She was so grateful and it gave me good karma and feelings all day too. I'd helped a fellow commuter.

it goes back to the old mantra - just be sound :)

great stuff from you for helping that lady! i always try to think in situations like that, it could so easily be my mam stuck and unable to change the flat. i'd like to think someone would help her out and would if possible do the same when i see someone stranded.

it goes back to the old mantra - just be sound :)

great stuff from you for helping that lady! i always try to think in situations like that, it could so easily be my mam stuck and unable to change the flat. i'd like to think someone would help her out and would if possible do the same when i see someone stranded.

Yes , fair play to yaa! :)

I was going to say "imagine not being able to change a flat tyre...." ...
    But then i thought , look at all the people i have met on the road that cant replace a punctured tube !!!! :D:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

Exactly how many CO2 cartridges did you use? :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Deedsie wrote: »
    I agree that a lot of CycleDubs video complaints can be a bit pedantic, however he does highlight just how ****ty it is for cyclists out there....
    But he tears the arse out of any genuine grievances by being a total gobshite in many others. I presume he doesn't drive as he seems to have no concept of how difficult it is to get a descent sight line when emerging from many minor roads in a motor vehicle as evidenced by his berating of motorists for 'nosing' out. I'm surprised he hasn't got a hiding yet.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement