Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is it worth it anymore..... ?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29,078 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

No
    meeeeh wrote: »
    I don't get that. If someone​ gets killed cycling like an idiot that doesn't count? Does only damage you cause to others count? We had as kids cycling test and I think it did us no harm. If anything it made us safer and I wish the defensive attitude would be less aggressive and at least kids would be taught how to safely cycle. But apparently that is redundant because they don't kill anyone cycling.

Try this follow-up post and see if you get it now:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=103606579&postcount=415

What on earth makes you think that a one-off course/test for children has any impact on behaviour years down the line, given the atrocious behaviour we see on the roads every day from trained/tested/licensed/insured motorists?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,617 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

We had as kids cycling test and I think it did us no harm.
    no harm whatsoever. but if you failed your test - did that prevent you from being allowed cycle?
    because that is what some commentators are proposing.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

Try this follow-up post and see if you get it now:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=103606579&postcount=415

What on earth makes you think that a one-off course/test for children has any impact on behaviour years down the line, given the atrocious behaviour we see on the roads every day from trained/tested/licensed/insured motorists?

I would assume that if you want kids to cycle you want them to know how behave on the roads. That is all.

Anyway the excuse seems to be people are stupid so it's pointless to teach them anything. I give up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,861 ✭✭✭Mr.H

Chuchote wrote:
    I know you do. But you're wrong, and a million (slight exaggeration) studies show that it is drivers who break red lights more than cyclists.

You show that 1 in 8 cyclists break red lights. But what is percentage of drivers?

More cyclists per capita break red lights than drivers.

If a cyclist breaks a red light and I got them then I will automatically blamed by the likes of yourself.

I have training to be a driver. It's called a licence. Cyclists don't need one. Hell most don't even know the rules of the road.

To use the road you should have to know the rules

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,939 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

I would assume that if you want kids to cycle you want them to know how behave on the roads. That is all.

Anyway the excuse seems to be people are stupid so it's pointless to teach them anything. I give up.

Not really an excuse, just how it appears. In reality, like the driving test, alot of people behave in a certain way to get by the test and never really drive like that again. In some cases, they improve and learn. In Ireland, a few seem to often take a few steps backwards.

The only thing that will bring about improvements in road safety in a flash, in regards one type of dangerous road usage (regardless of the type of user) is a penalty/fine/punishment followed by blanket enforcement. We never really get the latter. If they hadn't cracked down on drink driving years ago, it would be still acceptable to many and due to the lack of enforcement, I see it creeping back in. They either need a system they can put out to tender for specific road traffic offences or they need to increase garda number substantially, remove the highly crippling paperwork that makes a mockery of the justice system and then crack the whip.

I also think cycling education should be part of the national curriculum and part of the core curriculum at national school level and if realistic, junior cert level.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,769 ✭✭✭cython

No
    Mr.H wrote: »
    You show that 1 in 8 cyclists break red lights. But what is percentage of drivers?

If a cyclist breaks a red light and I got them then I will automatically blamed by the likes of yourself.

I have training to be a driver. It's called a licence. Cyclists don't need one. Hell most don't even know the rules of the road.

The bolded does not seem to be unique to cyclists in my experience (i.e. drivers flout plenty of them on a regular basis), so licensing is clearly not the solution to improving this......

• Registered Users Posts: 7,762 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

No

From my own casual observation, no red light goes unchallenged in Dublin by drivers. One or two will break it usually, but sometime's you'll get 4 or 5 cars stream through a red. SOme of the junctions on my travels are almost comical with the amount of red light breaking.

/insert other nonsensical statistic here.....

If a cyclist breaks a red light and I got them then I will automatically blamed by the likes of yourself.[/QUOTE]

By "got them", you mean hit them? So no different than a mortised vehicle breaking a red (you're no automatically blamed, so rest easy).

I have training to be a driver. It's called a licence.

....as do about 80% of cyclists.
    Cyclists don't need one.

True. refer to point above.
    Hell most don't even know the rules of the road.

Yeah, I must admit Ireland is one of the only countries in the world where 100% rule adherence by drivers is a daily occurrence. I think the UN or someone was going to come here to do a study as to how we manage it....

• Registered Users Posts: 8,848 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

To use the road you should have to know the rule

Not sure if the statistics, but purely from observation there's usually 2 to 5 vehicles still proceeding after the traffic signal has turned red.. The impact of which would be felt much more by pedestrians, cyclists and other vehicles rather than if a bicyclist did it, which would more likely impact him or her.

A green signal doesn't mean you can proceed without caution, full observation in case of the unexpected must be maintained.

Many people passed a simple 30mins or so test, some 10, 20 or 30 years ago, doesn't stop the speeding, dangerous overtaking, collisions and fatalities that occur every day on the roads...

And respect the rules...

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,939 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

A farcical claim and also one that cannot be shown. If one cyclists stops at a red light, others can go around him. If one driver stops, all those behind him must stop as well (unless your in a white civic and on your way to a lecture in UCD, in which case you can apparently go into oncoming traffic, break the light and be fine (anecdote))
    ??? I don't think that is remotely true, the onyl case in recent years that comes to mind. The cyclist lied about having a green light and was found guilty after colliding with a car coming through on green.
    I know plenty of drivers with no trainign, I know plenty who trained to pass the test and not how to drive safely, and I know even more whose behaviour on the road indicates they either do not know the law or do not care about it or other road users. There behaviour as a population is identical to cyclists.
    Knowing the rules and behaving with manners, respect and safety are clearly two different subject areas in this country.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

As someone who comes from a country with a lot of reckless driving (much improved now with enormous speeding fines) I find Irish drivers fairly well behaved but often ignorant of rules of the road. It's a lucky motorways here are so empty because a third don't know which lane to take. Similarly I find a lot of roads are just not designed for pedestrians or cyclists. Still that is not an excuse for some fairly stupid behavior especially in urban areas.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,514 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Similarly I find a lot of roads are just not designed for pedestrians or cyclists. Still that is not an excuse for some fairly stupid behavior especially in urban areas.

I would say an awful lot of the roads were never designed for cars. Many have been around before widespread car use. They were in fact ideal for pedestrians and cyclists.

No

No, it's not that people are stupid. It's just that people make their own decisions about what is in their own selfish, self interests, rather than remembering the advice they got in a course 10 or 20 or 30 years ago.

Cycle training in schools is a good thing, but the idea that it will have any impact on cyclists breaking red lights or other minor annoyances is a fantasy.

82% of motorists break speed limits in the RSA speed survey, if you want to compare per-capita offending. But more importantly, 100% of the 4,500 road deaths for the past 15 years have been at the hands of motorists, compared to 0% for cyclists.

So how's the training/licence thing working out for the 82% of motorists that break speed limits?

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Hold the phone there chief. 100%? Where does this come from. What about people killed going up the inside of trucks and buses?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,617 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

100% of the 4,500 road deaths for the past 15 years have been at the hands of motorists, compared to 0% for cyclists.
    surely there's been examples of cyclists dying as a result of crashes which didn't involve cars?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,769 ✭✭✭cython

No
    Hold the phone there chief. 100%? Where does this come from. What about people killed going up the inside of trucks and buses?
    surely there's been examples of cyclists dying as a result of crashes which didn't involve cars?

Yeah, frankly AndrewJRenko has jumped the shark here: http://irishcycle.com/2016/08/22/woman-in-her-30s-dies-after-her-bicycle-hits-a-ditch-in-co-kerry/

That kind of OTT rhetoric helps neither side, and is only needlessly antagonistic, IMHO.

EDIT: Another one that I recall for a fact was discussed here: http://irishcycle.com/2016/05/03/man-in-critical-condition-after-walkingcycling-collision-on-phoenix-park-cycle-tracks/

I'm sure there are plenty of others as well.

Pinch Flat wrote:
    By "got them", you mean hit them? So no different than a mortised vehicle breaking a red (you're no automatically blamed, so rest easy).

Yea I meant hit. I'm using the phone so apologies for that bad auto correct.

I really am not anti cyclist. If you spent 10 mins with me in a car you'd see how much I think other drivers are complete morons. I'm not immune to stupidity also of course. No high horse here. We all make the odd stupid choice.

I just think that people should have a better understanding of the rules of the road before being allowed to use it. Sure drivers could improve but at least they have to at the minimum bluff a test. Cyclists don't. People on a horse don't.....

To say we should start enforcing laws on drivers is the easy way out. We need to enforce laws on everyone. Put cameras on lights. Put ref plates on bikes. Make cyclists pass a small "theory test".

I'm not anti cyclist I'm just saying that everyone needs to be better and bringing the standard up by forcing everyone to pass tests is the minimum we should do.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭mcgratheoin

No
    cython wrote: »

If we look at the UK figures from the 2009 work - (all that is available afaik) it shows that;
    With adult cyclists, police found the driver solely responsible in about 60%-75% of all cases, and riders solely at fault 17%-25% of the time.

I'd imagine that it's pretty similar here.

No
    To say we should start enforcing laws on drivers is the easy way out.

No it's not - it's the correct way out. It's the way that would save the most lives and the way that would have the most economic benefit.
    I'm not anti cyclist I'm just saying that everyone needs to be better and bringing the standard up by forcing everyone to pass tests is the minimum we should do.

But you're not actually saying that everyone needs to be better - you're saying that the standard of road usage in Ireland would be improved by the sole method of making cyclists pass a test. The minimum we could do is enforce our existing laws correctly, particularly those laws that have been shown to have a large impact on the number of fatalities - i.e. vehicles speeding and drink driving.

No

You mean the trucks and buses with blind spots, crap mirrors and no cameras? And you want to blame the cyclists???
    cython wrote: »
    Yeah, frankly AndrewJRenko has jumped the shark here: http://irishcycle.com/2016/08/22/woman-in-her-30s-dies-after-her-bicycle-hits-a-ditch-in-co-kerry/

That kind of OTT rhetoric helps neither side, and is only needlessly antagonistic, IMHO.

EDIT: Another one that I recall for a fact was discussed here: http://irishcycle.com/2016/05/03/man-in-critical-condition-after-walkingcycling-collision-on-phoenix-park-cycle-tracks/

Fair points - there have been a tiny number of such deaths not involving motorists, THere was one club cyclist killed in Wicklow on a fast descent iirc. At a guess, those deaths are still in single figures, compared to the 4,500 on the other side.
    Yea I meant hit. I'm using the phone so apologies for that bad auto correct.

I really am not anti cyclist. If you spent 10 mins with me in a car you'd see how much I think other drivers are complete morons. I'm not immune to stupidity also of course. No high horse here. We all make the odd stupid choice.

I just think that people should have a better understanding of the rules of the road before being allowed to use it. Sure drivers could improve but at least they have to at the minimum bluff a test. Cyclists don't. People on a horse don't.....

To say we should start enforcing laws on drivers is the easy way out. We need to enforce laws on everyone. Put cameras on lights. Put ref plates on bikes. Make cyclists pass a small "theory test".

You really are anti-cyclist if you want to bring in tests for cyclists (who don't kill people) and leaving things pretty much as they are for motorists (who kill 4 or 5 people each week).

Here's a better suggestion instead of the 'small test for cyclists'. How about a regular test for motorists, say every three years or every five years - seeing as 82% of them seem to have forgotten how speed limits work, and seeing how speed kills - that would be a far more effective measure than a 'small test for cyclists'.

Do you really think there are cyclists or motorists out there that don't know what a red light means?

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

You mean the trucks and buses with blind spots, crap mirrors and no cameras? And you want to blame the cyclists???

Yes. They're they ones who put themselves in danger. Which is why there's usually a death by misadventure verdict in inquests in these cases.

• Advertisement

No
    Yes. They're they ones who put themselves in danger. Which is why there's usually a death by misadventure verdict in inquests in these cases.

"I was just waving my meat-cleaver around in the school playground, Garda, and the child just ran straight by me, putting himself in danger".

Why do you blame the victims, instead of the people causing the danger?

"I was just waving my meat-cleaver around in the school playground, Garda, and the child just ran straight by me, putting himself in danger".

I may be wrong, but I doubt a verdict of death by misadventure would be recorded in that situation.

No
    I may be wrong, but I doubt a verdict of death by misadventure would be recorded in that situation.

You're probably right - why do we go so lightly on dangerous machinery on the roads?

But you're not actually saying that everyone needs to be better - you're saying that the standard of road usage in Ireland would be improved by the sole method of making cyclists pass a test. The minimum we could do is enforce our existing laws correctly, particularly those laws that have been shown to have a large impact on the number of fatalities - i.e. vehicles speeding and drink driving.

So you don't think people cycle drunk? I know people who regularly do it. I know the same people don't wear safety gear while cycling.

At the moment from the people that use the road, it is cyclists (as a group) who have the least knowledge of the rules of the road.

You may have a drivers license but a lot of cyclists don't. A lot of cyclists do not know the rules of the road. Therefore the people who don't know the rules can cause accidents.

Like my example. If a cyclist runs a red light I will be blamed because I was not observant enough. Now while I should be more observant (this is not real but an example) the cyclist ran a red light and that is the bigger issue. But it isn't looked at that way. The cyclist wasn't fully at fault in that example.

How is allowing people to use the road without knowledge of the rules, OK? Surely that is a huge problem.

If a cyclist runs a red light I will be blamed because I was not observant enough.

No you won't. I can't think of one example of where a motorist has been convicted for hitting a cyclist running a red light.

No
    Surely that is a huge problem.

Let me repeat myself. Cyclists are not a problem on the road. Most collisions are not caused by cyclists. Nobody has ever been killed by a drunk cyclist. Most road deaths are not caused by cyclists and do not involve cyclists. The belief that road safety could be significantly improved by licensing and registering cyclists is quite simply inane. It betrays a wilful ignorance of the facts around road deaths in this country, but hey, why let the facts get in the way of a good rant about cyclists.

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭mh_cork

I really am not anti cyclist.

At the moment from the people that use the road, it is cyclists (as a group) who have the least knowledge of the rules of the road.

How is allowing people to use the road without knowledge of the rules, OK? Surely that is a huge problem.

Yes you are anti-cyclist. Saying that cyclists have the least knowledge of ROTR proves that. Its a blanket statement without proof or qualification.

As other posters have said, the record is 4500 deaths that can be attributed to motor vehicles against a handful that can be attributed to cyclists. When the two figures get somewhere close to each other, then the authorities should focus on cyclists tests, licensing or whatever else.

But right now it is sad that you think that resources should be put into some form of test for cyclists rather than focusing on the reasons why people are being killed on our roads - speeding, drunk driving, mobile phone use, etc.

No
    So you don't think people cycle drunk? I know people who regularly do it. I know the same people don't wear safety gear while cycling.
    Have you reported these regular drunk cyclists to the Gardai?

And what 'safety gear' did you have in mind, given that there is no legal requirement to wear any particular gear when cycling?
    How specifically did you conclude this? Could you please reference the RSA finding that 82% of motorists break speed limits in your answer.
    You may have a drivers license but a lot of cyclists don't. A lot of cyclists do not know the rules of the road. Therefore the people who don't know the rules can cause accidents.
    Is there any chance we could focus our attention on what ACTUALLY DOES happen, rather than what theoretically can happen?

So instead of focusing on how cyclists can cause collisions [even though every analysis of traffic safety data here and internationally shows that they largely don't], could we focus on how motorists DO cause collisions every day, killing 4 or 5 people each week.
    Again, how do you expect a test for cyclists to have any particular impact, given that 82% of licensed/tested/insured motorists opt to break the speed limit?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭Chuchote

No
    Most adult cyclists have passed a test - the driving test.

Knowing the Rules of the Road isn't particularly apposite; more important to know the law behind those rules (which sometimes differs from the RotR, by the way).

I have a suggestion. If someone driving a car is caught using a handheld phone while driving, then the person should have to re-sit the driving test. Ditto for failing to indicate in time. For speeding. For pulling out without checking. For driving straight through a stop sign. For driving dangerously close to other, more vulnerable road users (for instance people pushing buggies). For driving with drink taken. For racing through lights as and after they change to red. For turning without taking account of those in their way. For not using their mirrors with due care for others. For driving through pedestrian crossing when the lights are flashing and people are still walking across.

Because these are actions that actually put people's lives at risk. It's sensible to stop them.

Whereas saying cyclists should sit a test is merely a fancy form of mansplaining.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,848 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

Like my example. If a cyclist runs a red light I will be blamed because I was not observant enough. Now while I should be more observant (this is not real but an example) the cyclist ran a red light and that is the bigger issue. But it isn't looked at that way. The cyclist wasn't fully at fault in that example.

Never heard such sh one t...!

..based on observation, there's very little effectiveness of having a licence to take a car/van/truck out on the roads... So you reckon oul John down the road who passed his test back in 1985 knows the rules of the road better than your average cyclist?

In The Netherlands they have a thing called "strict liability" so the motorist is automatically responsible in a bicycle - car incident, if we had this here then it would have a massive effect on cycling safety, making drivers more conscious of the vulnerable road user..

Advertisement