Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Silage wrap levy

Options
  • 11-05-2017 1:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Hi

There is a retailer selling silage wrap to customers for quite cheap (No invoice) and is charging the levy per roll (€2.50) on top of the price but has yet to produce the 6 digit label code to any of his customers. He says he will give them a code in due course.
    1. Is the retailer charging the customers for a levy that he never paid for in the first place?
    2. Is the retailer pulling the label code of legitimate rolls of silage wrap and giving the customer this code?
    3. If the customer buys these rolls and is given a label code from a legitimate roll of wrap will he/she get charged extra when going to recycle?

Can some one please advise in relation to this.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,533 ✭✭✭kk.man

What good is a farm purchase (cheap or not) to you without an invoice?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭ganmo

It's probably stuff that was nicked last year

• Registered Users Posts: 4,122 ✭✭✭davidk1394

Or it could be pure shìte and you won't have a single bale of silage in the winter

• Registered Users Posts: 7,920 ✭✭✭freedominacup

davidk1394 wrote: »
    Or it could be pure shìte and you won't have a single bale of silage in the winter

This. You have thousands spent already by the time the wrap or cover goes on but fellas obsess endlessly about making a saving on the thing that makes sure the rest of the spend isn't wasted. There's no such thing as cheap silage covers/plastic.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,122 ✭✭✭davidk1394

This. You have thousands spent already by the time the wrap or cover goes on but fellas obsess endlessly about making a saving on the thing that makes sure the rest of the spend isn't wasted. There's no such thing as cheap silage covers/plastic.

See every day during the summer. Lads trying to skimp on plastic for bales. What ya'd save could be lost on 4 bales in the winter

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭waalaa

I did the whole bring centre the first year we made silage and I swore never again. Myself and my contractor bought 200 rolls from China, I only needed a few and he took the rest, from what I remember it cost around 40 Euro a roll including delivery and customs. When I wanted to get rid of them I hired a skip for a weekend threw all the wrap, netting, bags and any old crap I could fit into it and off it went.

The wrap itself was fine, my contractor who would know more about it than I would was happy enough with it. I put 6 wraps on everything and never had much waste bar the odd pinhole. If people are seeing issues it might be from not putting enough wraps on rather than the quality of the plastic. I would rather buy Irish but when the alternative is a hell of a lot cheaper and easier and of similar quality it's hard to say no. I don't make silage anymore and only needed to do it once though.

Although now that I think of it I had my mate who is based in China and ships containers regularly to Europe orgainse it all for me so perhaps I might be looking at it with rose tinted glasses.

Advertisement