Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to discover new music by genre in spotify

• 11-05-2017 2:10pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 642 ✭✭✭

Recently got Spotify as part of Vodafone package. Had previously used Microsoft Groove and I'm finding Spotify to be a less user friendly experience. How do people use Spotify to find new music to their taste? For example, I hate pop music. So if I go to new releases how do I filter out pop? In groove you can filter it down by genre and sub genre and select multiple genres.

I know I can pick an artist I like and start a radio channel. But paying for music is all about discovering new stuff which I don't find the radio channel is great at.

It's a popular service, so it's likely I'm missing a trick here. So how do people use Spotify to discover new music? Or is that simply done outside of the service?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭Anesthetize

I do it outside of Spotify. I browse though sites like Rate Your Music, AllMusic and Album of the Year, and take a chance on any albums which catch my attention.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Pick a genre radio station, thumbs down what you don't like. You'll get more songs to your liking played and your recommendations and Daily Mixes will get fine tuned to stuff you like.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 642 ✭✭✭qrx

Thumbs down sounds useful. I don't seem to have that feature though on android or Windows.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,558 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Discover Weekly. I think it's a great playlist. 30 songs every Monday, I think it's tailored to your listening habits or something like that. I've found a lot of new stuff thanks to it.

Aside and outside to spotify I'd look at sites like metacritic, Album of The Year, Any Decent Music and I'd still give The Needle Drop a look every now and again. His schtick tires me out a bit these days but I still think he's a largely fair reviewer of new music.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭noby

qrx wrote: »
    Thumbs down sounds useful. I don't seem to have that feature though on android or Windows.

When you play radio you have a thumbs up/down option.

I like to play playlists rather than radio. Someone has actually put those lists together, rather than some algorithm.

• Advertisement
Advertisement