Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garmin race prediction times

Options
  • 11-05-2017 3:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭

A lad in work is doing a 5km soon. Hi garmin predicts 18.00 based on vo2max. He is a high enough level cyclist but not a runner. Skinny as **** though
    I'm suspecting pacing based on this is ****ing dumb.
    Anyone tried it? What results?
    Is the race prediction worth a snot?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,990 ✭✭✭68 lost souls

I would think that VO2Max is different for running and cycling are different. I know I have done lab testing on both and seen a difference between them of about 10% having trained for both running and cycling (and swimming obviously). Does the garmin VO2max option combine across the board or split it for cycling and running?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭jameshayes

The V02 max on my watch is separate for cycling and running.. and the running V02 max predictions are pretty spot on for me

Garmins base their V02 max from HR data and I have heard a few of them have shocking wrist based HRM's so that could be a factor if he is not using a HRM strap..

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

I would think that VO2Max is different for running and cycling are different. I know I have done lab testing on both and seen a difference between them of about 10% having trained for both running and cycling (and swimming obviously). Does the garmin VO2max option combine across the board or split it for cycling and running?
    Separate calculations I believe

jameshayes wrote: »
    The V02 max on my watch is separate for cycling and running.. and the running V02 max predictions are pretty spot on for me

Garmins base their V02 max from HR data and I have heard a few of them have shocking wrist based HRM's so that could be a factor if he is not using a HRM strap..
    Good point. He does use a strap for the runs so....

N=1 in 2014 my watch said I could run a 2:59 marathon but I'd not ran more than 10km in training. Went out at 4:15 pace and got to 21km on track and blew spectacularly.

But for shorter distances 5-10km when you can assume adequate training?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭jameshayes

tunney wrote: »
    N=1 in 2014 my watch said I could run a 2:59 marathon but I'd not ran more than 10km in training. Went out at 4:15 pace and got to 21km on track and blew spectacularly.

I think thats the assumption - race time predictor with appropriate training.. mine is giving me a 21min 5k which would be spot on but a 44min 10k, I've never trained for a 10k specifically but the closest I got was 46 minutes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

Its important to note that the race predictions are meant to be in idealised conditions,flat course, no wind, rain etc. My race predictions were wildly inaccurate when I first started using my Garmin but the more races and distances I run the more accurate they are becoming I think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

Only one example i have seen, predictor of 16:44 off the Garmin and 16:53 achieved over 5k

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

the garmin 9xx give you seperate vo2 for cycling and running, at different times over the last few years my running and cycling have traded places as to which was higher.

the predictor has always been off though, says i could do a 37 min 10k, a 1:22 half and a 2:53 full. none of those i've ever gotten close to. there was a thread on slowtwitch at one point where people posted garmin predictor versus pb's, the garmin was hugely optimistic for the vast vast majority

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

Is the predictor a seperate app or part of Garmin Connect?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭rodneyr1981

Find close enough for 5/10km but a bit off on the longer stuff

pgibbo wrote:
    Is the predictor a seperate app or part of Garmin Connect?

Its part of garmin connect. It shows up on my watch under 'stats'

• Registered Users Posts: 3,990 ✭✭✭68 lost souls

panda100 wrote: »
    Its part of garmin connect. It shows up on my watch under 'stats'

I believe its model specific though? I cannot find it, I use a vivoactiv HR and a 310xt

I believe its model specific though? I cannot find it, I use a vivoactiv HR and a 310xt

Oh perhaps, I have a Foreunner 735XT and it shows up automatically on mine

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

yup, it wasn't on the 910, it showed up on the 920 and subsequent models .

• Registered Users Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭peter kern

Find close enough for 5/10km but a bit off on the longer stuff

maybe see it more as a 2 year future longer distance performace potential than a now data.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭peter kern

tunney wrote: »

i would give it close to 0 % attention to predict a marthon pace for somebody that hasnt run many miles for many years.
    but for a 5 k race if you assume good trainng i guess its not the worst indicator.

Advertisement