Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

neoprene hat any good?

Options
  • 11-05-2017 3:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 546 ✭✭✭

Hate cold water and get brain free and dizziness in open water usually.
    The ear plugs solve the dizziness, how good are the neoprene hats?
    Do they make a big difference?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭Doeshedare

I haven't used one myself but I did do a lot of winter swimming this year and many of the regulars use them (and/or neoprene shoes & gloves). Anyone else including me use two silicone hats.

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭Hani Kosti

Yes massive,especially if you're (like me) freezing even in August.
    You can get a decent enough on Amazon if you're not willing to spend €30+ (I got a thermal insulated one and it works great, think I paid $10 in US)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 851 ✭✭✭Pidae.m

Put a good lump of Vaseline on your face too.
    gerfmurphy wrote: »
    Hate cold water and get brain free and dizziness in open water usually.
    The ear plugs solve the dizziness, how good are the neoprene hats?
    Do they make a big difference?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭woody1

yes definitely, i suffer from the cold worse than most, the hat makes a huge difference.. the chin strap on mine can feel a bit restrictive but other than that they are a great job..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

Hani Kosti wrote: »
    Yes massive,especially if you're (like me) freezing even in August.
    You can get a decent enough on Amazon if you're not willing to spend €30+ (I got a thermal insulated one and it works great, think I paid $10 in US)
    woody1 wrote: »
    yes definitely, i suffer from the cold worse than most, the hat makes a huge difference.. the chin strap on mine can feel a bit restrictive but other than that they are a great job..

What brand & model did you both get? Need to get one as hoping to venture in soon and hate the cold. Cheers.

P.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,425 ✭✭✭joey100

I wore one for the first time on bank holiday Monday just gone. Usually wear 2 swim hats but thought I would try it out. Worked really well, to be honest I was surprised at how well it worked. Chin strap can be a little tight, and can feela bit chokey but wasn't too bad. I used a Zerod one, I'd say they are all pretty much the same though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭woody1

2xu neoprene hat , was 19.00 from chain reaction a few years ago
    checked their website, they dont seem to be selling them any more
    but as joey says id imagine they are all the same

• Registered Users Posts: 546 ✭✭✭gerfmurphy

Sounds very encoraging.
    I will try one on sunday. Just found out a tri store in lucan is open early sunday and I will be just about passing it.
    Thanks for the input

• Closed Accounts Posts: 851 ✭✭✭Pidae.m

I wear a neoprene hat with a chin strap and another thick hat on that. Plenty of vasaline on exposed face
    gerfmurphy wrote: »
    Sounds very encoraging.
    I will try one on sunday. Just found out a tri store in lucan is open early sunday and I will be just about passing it.
    Thanks for the input

Advertisement