Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pedestrian crossings (dangerous)

Options
  • 11-05-2017 6:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 949 ✭✭✭

Anybody notice how slow pedestrian crossing are now ?
    I don't meen the ones incorporated into traffic lights, their ok, we all have to wait our turn. :)

But the stand alone ones, (stand alone been appropriately funny wording) take forever to change.
    Ok, not forever, but at least 30-40 seconds to to give the green man. 30 seconds mightn't seem much, but count to 30 slowly and see for yourself.

I have seen to many children (and adults) run and brave the traffic as they think the lights are not functional.
    I always remember them only taking about 10 seconds to stop traffic before.
    Again, count to 10, its not to fast.

Or am I wrong :confused:

ps. My example been St. Lukes for one.
    (Cork city)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,033 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Not sure it matters really as so many motorists routinely sail through red lights anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

I assume there is a delay built into them so people can't be constantly triggering them.
    So first person comes along and gets an immediate green man. Someone else arrives a minute later and has to wait 30 seconds to get another green man. IF that is what happens then it is reasonable. If there wasn't a delay then in busy pedestrian areas they may end up with a constant green man and no moving traffic.

• Registered Users Posts: 949 ✭✭✭Tom44

Ludo wrote: »
    I assume there is a delay built into them so people can't be constantly triggering them.
    So first person comes along and gets an immediate green man. Someone else arrives a minute later and has to wait 30 seconds to get another green man. IF that is what happens then it is reasonable. If there wasn't a delay then in busy pedestrian areas they may end up with a constant green man and no moving traffic.
    No preferential treatment for first person, that I see.

But that would make traffic flow sense if it was incorporated. Which it is not.
    But good idea. 👍

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

I immediately thought of the crossing from Douglas Court SC to McDonalds when I read the thread title. I'd love to meet the ape that thought putting the crossing 10 feet away from a roundabout was a good idea.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 9,948 ✭✭✭mik_da_man

razorblunt wrote: »
    I immediately thought of the crossing from Douglas Court SC to McDonalds when I read the thread title. I'd love to meet the ape that thought putting the crossing 10 feet away from a roundabout was a good idea.

While that one is bad, The one on the Rochestown road is worse IMO.
    At least the Douglas SC-> McD one is obvious

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

mik_da_man wrote: »
    While that one is bad, The one on the Rochestown road is worse IMO.
    At least the Douglas SC-> McD one is obvious

Yep... Hate that one. Very dangerous.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭two wheels good

It's not ideal but what's the alternative? Make the pedestrian walk further? Many won't and jay-walking will cause more safety problems.
    Consider the Fingerpost r'about and a pedestrian trying to cross at the Relief Road or at Maryborough Hill arms. Not pleasant.

When the Douglas Court - McDonaldsr'about is converted to traffic lights you might miss the current set-up.

Actually, one alternative is to make the ped crossing a pelican crossing. i.e with traffic lights.

It's not ideal but what's the alternative? Make the pedestrian walk further? Many won't and jay-walking will cause more safety problems.
    Consider the Fingerpost r'about and a pedestrian trying to cross at the Relief Road or at Maryborough Hill arms. Not pleasant.

When the Douglas Court - McDonaldsr'about is converted to traffic lights you might miss the current set-up.

Actually, one alternative is to make the ped crossing a pelican crossing. i.e with traffic lights.

The way I see it, if you put it down past the bus stop, you get less brake slamming of cars having just come off the roundabout.
    People can jaywalk all they want, they won't walk out in front of the car and you don't have to slam on the brakes (not saying you should drive through them obviously). Putting lights for pedestrian crossing might end up causing a tail back through the roundabout itself.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭two wheels good

The way I see it, if you put it down past the bus stop, you get less brake slamming of cars having just come off the roundabout.
    People can jaywalk all they want, they won't walk out in front of the car and you don't have to slam on the brakes (not saying you should drive through them obviously). Putting lights for pedestrian crossing might end up causing a tail back through the roundabout itself.

Brake slamming implies poor observation/anticipation on the drivers' part I'd suggest.
    Inconvenience the pedestrians (and probably compromise safety) for the convenience\benefit of the drivers? Not an approach I'd advocate but sadly that's usually the order of priority.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭Dbu

The crossing that is most dangerous in Douglas IMO is the one from the fingerpost roundabout heading to the old Carrigaline Rd.

Someone will be seriously injured there

• Advertisement

Brake slamming implies poor observation/anticipation on the drivers' part I'd suggest.
    Inconvenience the pedestrians (and probably compromise safety) for the convenience\benefit of the drivers? Not an approach I'd advocate but sadly that's usually the order of priority.

The thing is though, I don't think people will be inconvenienced. You'd be moving the crossing down, closer to the pedestrian walkway into Douglas Court.

• Registered Users Posts: 764 ✭✭✭Kazbah

Dbu wrote: »
    The crossing that is most dangerous in Douglas IMO is the one from the fingerpost roundabout heading to the old Carrigaline Rd.

Someone will be seriously injured there

I agree it's very hard to see pedestrians.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,394 ✭✭✭ofcork

Are there plans to put lights by douglas court roundabout.

Advertisement