Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Roseanne to return...

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭Pelvis

Over 18 million viewers on its return apparently, huge!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,847 ✭✭✭py2006

Pelvis wrote: »
    Over 18 million viewers on its return apparently, huge!

I thought that was overall but its 18million each episode.

It will drop but I expect it to be a very healthy figure for all 9 episodes. Another season is almost definite now.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭lertsnim

Finished episode 1. It was OK. The political ****e wore thin very quickly though.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,558 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

• Registered Users Posts: 43,880 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Watched the first two episodes this morning and it wasn't terrible.. Sara Gilbert's burns to 2nd Becky are still quite funny, and Laurie Metcalfe's delivery is still superb (she was great in the scene with 1st Becky). Definitely will watch a few more. Michael Fishman (DJ) may as well have not featured at all..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 60,558 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

For those who watched is there any mention of Glenn Quinn's Mark Healy?

Yes - well kind of: they mention that Becky has been widowed several times. I thought it was respectfully done. Got the feeling it would be backstoried at some point.
    I really enjoyed the reboot - very well done, true to original, very nostalgic though. They could only do so much in 2 * 22 mins and I think it worked.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,961 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

I have to say I liked it, I don't really know why but I liked it, might be something to do with the fact that it's not as "clean" as normal TV and not showing the "smarter" America, like it or loathe it America voted for Trump so that's the Real America. Dan is a brilliant character and I thought his portrayal was excellt, pointing out that he didn't care how his grand son dressed but he was worried about his was great, great line as well with "I've a big head so I'm not narrow minded"

• Registered Users Posts: 12,795 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

Where can I watch this?

Apparently picked up for another season...

ABC announced on Friday that Roseanne has been picked up for a second season -- or an 11th season if you count the episodes that aired from 1988 to 1997.

"I just got the call-thank u ABC! Thank you, Roseanne Show family (including fans) B'aruch Hashem. #DAYENU," Roseanne Barr, the show's star, tweeted. "What kind of subjects would you like to see in season 11? #Roseanne"

She added: "HEY! THIS MEANS WE GET TO DO A HALLOWEEN SHOW!!! YAY!!!!!"

https://twitter.com/RoseanneOnABC/status/979780298551582725

• Advertisement

That was already posted 5 posts up.

Other than Darlenes son named after him, no

That was already posted 5 posts up.

oops

• Registered Users Posts: 4,627 ✭✭✭tedpan

I've just finished watching all the original series. Didn't even realise they were releasing new episodes. I think a marathon for the bank holiday weekend is in order :)

tedpan wrote: »
    I've just finished watching all the original series. Didn't even realise they were releasing new episodes. I think a marathon for the bank holiday weekend is in order :)

Where can you watch them?

With one day of delayed viewing factored in, the audience for the “Roseanne” premiere is now up to 21.9 million

• Registered Users Posts: 4,627 ✭✭✭tedpan

py2006 wrote:
    Where can you watch them?

Streaming is the only way unfortunately :(

• Registered Users Posts: 7,424 ✭✭✭corkie

‘Roseanne’ Is Here to Stay:
    ABC Renews Highly Rated Reboot

“Roseanne” is going to be here for a while.

Three days removed from its blockbuster premiere, ABC said on Friday that it would bring back the revived sitcom for another season.

After “Roseanne” drew 18.2 million viewers and a mighty 5.1 rating among adults under 50 on Tuesday, a renewal was all but inevitable. Roseanne Barr, the show’s co-creator and star, had previously said she wanted to do another season.

Edit: - Looks lie this is old news, sorry for the post.

Enjoyed the first two episodes!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 777 ✭✭✭Skedaddle

I'm not going to prejudge it without watching a few episodes, but I get the impression she's slightly being falsely accused of being diehard pro-Trump.

From what I gather she's trying to explain why middle American types have voted for someone as extreme as Trump and why the mainstream of American politics has broken down. She's always been someone who's challenged the erosion of quality of life for blue-collar workers and the normal parts of America.

So, I could see her seeing Trump as being a spanner thrown in the works that might cause a big reset.

It looks to me more like the show's going to try and comically dissect what's going on in middle America rather than just be a pro-Trump thing, which is what "The Donald" seems to think is happening.

You don't resolve issues like the rise of Trump without discussing them and sometimes sitcoms in the US tend to be where these things get fleshed out.

However, I'm reserving my judgement until I see how the show goes. I may be over optimistic.

Skedaddle wrote: »
    I'm not going to prejudge it without watching a few episodes, but I get the impression she's slightly being falsely accused of being diehard pro-Trump.
    You don't resolve issues like the rise of Trump without discussing them and sometimes sitcoms in the US tend to be where these things get fleshed out.

However, I'm reserving my judgement until I see how the show goes. I may be over optimistic.

...having watched them both that was my take. Roseanne is off the wall and a bit on the crazy side, but she far from unaware and is very aware of her audience. I think viewers from all sides of politic and economic divides appreciate that unlike most mainstream comedy she's not patronising them.

• Advertisement

She is very much pro-Trump. And a bit of a head case to boot.

https://twitter.com/therealroseanne/status/979890451200258048

• Registered Users Posts: 9,176 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

A couple of things I found odd were the multiple references to Trump, and the laugh track. Maybe I was too young to notice the political humour the first time around, or is politics just in everything now?

The comedies I've watched more recently tended to not have studio audiences, so that's probably why the laugh track stood out to me.

Other than that it seemed OK. A nice nostalgia trip anyway. I'll watch a few more at least.

I hope that call from Trump and the fact he seems to have aligned himself with the show doesn't hit the ratings.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 777 ✭✭✭Skedaddle

Well, as I said; I reserve my judgement, until I see where it goes.
    It's hard to know with comedians, they can have odd ways of playing politics.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

She is very much pro-Trump. And a bit of a head case to boot.

https://twitter.com/therealroseanne/status/979890451200258048

So she believes in the storm. Full on tin foil hat stuff, I remember reading some stuff she said in the past about environmental issues and she seemed to be losely tethered to reality.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,962 ✭✭✭✭dark crystal

Just caught up with the first two episodes now and I have to say I really enjoyed them. There seems to be a genuine fondness between the cast and it feels very much like sinking back into your favourite old chair.

Love Darlene's son in it, he's such a pet. :)

Just caught up with the first two episodes now and I have to say I really enjoyed them. There seems to be a genuine fondness between the cast and it feels very much like sinking back into your favourite old chair.

Love Darlene's son in it, he's such a pet. :)

That scene when Darlene was talking to her son in the bedroom. She had genuine tears

• Registered Users Posts: 1,909 ✭✭✭McLoughlin

I was planning to read some reviews about the new series but most articles I came across had Roseanne Reboot in the title or opening paragraph which turned me off reading. Do people actually know what a reboot is it seems to became a buzz word to be thrown around.

Still the first couple of episodes were enjoyable .

So just watched 3rd episode. Inititally I thought they were trying too hard and not delivering the lines as well as they could. But the second half improved and there was genuinely good parts.

Darlene is VERY strong. Sarah Gilbert plays the part well. No DJ and very little of Jackie and Becky.

Over 15m viewers too.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,961 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

I'm struggling to see past Debbie Gallagher for the actress playing Darlene's daughter, she playing similar characters but they seem poles apart.

Advertisement