Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Roseanne to return...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,847 ✭✭✭py2006

I can't believe it. Im actually quite saddened and dissapointed about this.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,371 ✭✭✭Phoebas

py2006 wrote: »
    Punishing the other actors and people behind the scenes isn't fair.

That's ALL on Roseanne Barr.
    She's just put a load of people out of work because she can't contain her predujice.

Phoebas wrote: »
    That's ALL on Roseanne Barr.
    She's just put a load of people out of work because she can't contain her predujice.

Yes I feel sorry for the DJ and Becky actors as they don't have the careers the others have.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,078 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

I believe everyone is entitled to their opinion. However, in situations such as these people cannot simply dismiss these as simply personal opinion. Celebrities and "influencers" (God I hate that word) use social media to push their own opinions and agendas - donald trump's personal twitter feed is also considered as official presidential communication. These people post these messages on their various forums in order to attempt to change people's opinions and to affect change.

Rosanne Barr has been very vocal in her opinions and in pushing her agenda both on the show and off it. The fact is, this agenda did not sit well with the studio's target audience opinions.

I work with a large corporation with people from many different countries. If I suddenly started posting racist/prejudiced opinions for all to see and I was in a position of influence in my job (With the ability to hire/fire/have authority over others) then I believe it would be reasonable for my company to, at the very least, examine my work etiquette and investigate if my opinions have had a detrimental impact on my so-workers.

In this case, Barr posted her opinions while were considered vile to a great many people, including people she worked with, assuming that her celebrity status would grant her some immunity and also to sway people to her own opinions. People did not like this and the posting did[/] have an effect. Just not what she was expecting.

I feel sorry for the people who may now be out of a job because of her posting. Especially the behind-the-scenes people.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,118 ✭✭✭TomOnBoard

DrumSteve wrote: »
    Fox might.

Yeah, Hannity, Ingraham and "Judge" Janine will have her on decrying breach of her 1st Amendment rights as soon as they can.

• Advertisement

To be honest, I doubt it's her opinion and more she thought she was being funny but she wasn't and it has backfired spectacularly.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

Yes I feel sorry for the DJ and Becky actors as they don't have the careers the others have.

Yeah, they're the ones I was thinking will be most affected by the cancellation too. I imagine the other actors will have other work lined up fairly sharpish, and the writers are all extremely well established in the industry so they'll be grand, as will the crew, but Lecy Goranson (Becky) and Michael Fishman (DJ) really only had this - they're not exactly great actors, and can't see them getting a whole lot of acting work in anything else.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,915 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

To be honest, I doubt it's her opinion and more she thought she was being funny but she wasn't and it has backfired spectacularly.

Oh I don't doubt one bit that it's her personal opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,517 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

She's just a racist. I can't see how she thought it would be perceived as funny. She's an idiot.

Well done to ABC. They stopped a cash cow ratings juggernaut for the greater good.

It was a massively popular show originally and proved popular enough to reboot it. The show was't based on racism nor was it a cynical cash cow. Such a shame

The show has dealt with issues like racism and homophobia in the past when other shows where guilty of that or didn't have guilts to run story lines that dealt with those issues

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,782 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

So does this mean that Roseanne Barr is no longer insane?

That'll be a no then..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,464 ✭✭✭XsApollo

I was enjoying the show too.
    Pure simple t.v. But brilliant.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,915 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,634 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

She had a brief flirtation with relevance again yet instead of keeping her head down and being on best behaviour, counting herself lucky in the culture of nostalgia for having a second shot at success, couldn't resist falling back on bad habits. Nobody to blame here except herself... as well as perhaps the Network for the faux shock over her outburst.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,953 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

It's a pity it's gone so soon. I have to say I didn't love the revival but it did bring a more fresh voice to a lot of topical issues, certainly more than other tv shows. You'd think someone with a sense of how to do that would know comparing people to apes just is not going to wash anywhere on the planet these days. It had the potential for something good, the saddest end to such things has to be having your star eclipsed by your stupidity.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,517 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

She was also fired by her talent agent, Hulu have pulled Roseanne from its streaming service, and Viacom have pulled reruns from 3 of its channels.

http://huffp.st/V3gCGaQ

Bad day for Roseanne...

• Registered Users Posts: 33,804 ✭✭✭✭Penn

She's now blaming it on taking Ambien, and also asking her followers not to defend her and apologising again and saying that what she did was wrong...

...while also retweeting people defending her, people claiming it's a conspiracy, people photoshopping things like changing a t-shirt Whoopi Goldberg was wearing to make it seem worse than what Roseanne did...

She has apologised because all eyes are on her in this moment. But she's not sorry. She's already started to show that based on the stuff she's retweeting.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭Frank O. Pinion

Why is it okay for people of many different public and private positions to comment on President Trump's physical appearance? Because he's a white male?

Not defending her actual words, btw.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,156 ✭✭✭screamer

Perhaps stupider than her tweets is taking to Twitter after taking sleeping tablets...... Seriously. Anyways the hint is in the name...Twit. never liked the show Roseanne back in the day and still have zero interest in it

Why is it okay for people of many different public and private positions to comment on President Trump's physical appearance? Because he's a white male?

Not defending her actual words, btw.

"He's fat, uses fake tan and his hair is weird" doesn't equate to "This woman who is half black is like something from Planet of the Apes"

One is commenting on appearance, one has connotations to the person's race in a way that is regularly used as racist abuse.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭Frank O. Pinion

Penn wrote: »
    "He's fat, uses fake tan and his hair is weird" doesn't equate to "This woman who is half black is like something from Planet of the Apes"

One is commenting on appearance, one has connotations to the person's race in a way that is regularly used as racist abuse.
    We all evolved from monkeys, though.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭wes

He is the most powerful man in the world, and nothing being said about him can be considered racist. Also, Trump spent a decade with his absurd racist birther nonsense, and is more than happy to hurl all kind of insults at people all day every day. Someone who throws out insults like Trump, imo can't complain when people fire some back at him. I really do have to question people who invoke Trump in regards to people insulting him, as if the man doesn't have form in that regard himself.

Also, lets be honest here, Trump is more orange than white........ ;)

If you don't understand why calling a black person a monkey might get you into trouble, and the history behind it, do yourself a favor and look up the history behind the treatment of African Americans in the US, and why saying certain thing will get you into trouble.

We all evolved from monkeys, though.

No we didn't........

We share common ancestry. I would recommend reading up on some basics on human evolution before coming out with that kind of thing.

Also, black people have been dehumanized by racists for centuries by being compare to monkeys. Look up the history, you will be doing yourself a favor.

https://theconversation.com/the-ape-insult-a-short-history-of-a-racist-idea-14808
    Each of these ways of thinking about the relationship between humans and monkeys reinforced the connection made by Europeans between Africans and apes. And by making it seem as if people of a non-European origin were more like apes than humans, these different theories were used to justify plantation slavery in the Americas and colonialism through the rest of the world.

All of these different scientific and religious theories worked in the same direction – to reinforce the European right to control large swathes of the world.

The ape insult is actually about the way Europeans have differentiated themselves, biologically and culturally, in an effort to maintain superiority over other people.

The important thing to remember is that those “other” people are much more aware of that history than white Europeans. To summon up the image of an ape is to tap into the power that has led to indigenous dispossession and the other bequests of colonialism.

Look up monkey chants directed at black footballers, or bananas being thrown at black people. Comparing black people to apes has long time been considered racist, and it's something racists purposely do to demonstrate that racism.

Turns out the actress who plays Darlenes daughter rang to quit the show based on the comments before it was made known to her the show was cancelled anyway.

https://twitter.com/EmmaRoseKenney/status/1001542079053414400

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭bloodless_coup

Every week there's shows cancelled or shows pulled from streaming services due to current or legacy mishaps from some actor / actress.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,979 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

kill off the Roseanne character? It worked for Taggart!

"unfortunately Roseanne died on the way back to her home planet" :pac:

loyatemu wrote: »
    kill off the Roseanne character? It worked for Taggart!

"unfortunately Roseanne died on the way back to her home planet" :pac:

There have been suggestions on Twitter that they should rename the show "The Connors", Roseanne died between seasons and basically let John Goodman take the lead with Laurie Metcalf and Sara Gilbert.

That said I don't know if any of them would want to now be associated with the show in any way as it'll always be tied to Roseanne.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 138 ✭✭Joe Dog

Mr E wrote: »
    She was also fired by her talent agent, Hulu have pulled Roseanne from its streaming service, and Viacom have pulled reruns from 3 of its channels.

http://huffp.st/V3gCGaQ

Bad day for Roseanne...

Bit much to pull reruns of the old show.

It is possible to separate the art from the artist.

• Advertisement

Joe Dog wrote: »
    Bit much to pull reruns of the old show.

It is possible to separate the art from the artist.

Yeah, I do think that is going a bit to far as well. It also hurts the other people who get residuals from the show, who had nothing to do with Roseanne's racist outburst.

Advertisement