Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Roseanne to return...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,847 ✭✭✭py2006

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭Pelvis

What's your point?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭wes

py2006 wrote: »

Its really simple and already explained by multiple post earlier in the thread. Africans have been dehumanized by being compared to monkeys for centuries, this was used to justify slavery, discrimination etc against them.

At this point I think some people are just choosing to pretend they don't know why there is a difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,614 ✭✭✭✭Penn

wes wrote: »
    Its really simple and already explained by multiple post earlier in the thread. Africans have been dehumanized by being compared to monkeys for centuries, this was used to justify slavery, discrimination etc against them.

At this point I think some people are just choosing to pretend they don't know why there is a difference.

"I called a white person a n****r and a black person a n****r and only the black guy got angry! I just can't understand it!"

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭bloodless_coup

Pelvis wrote: »
    What's your point?

It's a pretty straight forward point really.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭Frank O. Pinion

If I have a baby with a white woman and he's jumping around acting crazy, it's not racist to call him a "little crazy monkey". But how about if I have a baby with a black woman? Is it racist if I call him a "little crazy monkey"?

The black people = monkey/ape insult is so damn stupid. If you, as a white person, say it's racist, then aren't you admitting you think they look alike? If a black person literally facially resembles a person in an ape mask in a film, it shouldn't be racist to point that out, like pointing out Trump's resemblance to certain banana eating creatures.

Saying it's racist only when it involves black people, is saying there's truth in the silly insult.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭wes

Saying it's racist only when it involves black people, is saying there's truth in the silly insult.

Come on now, your trying this one? The people pointing out the racism, are the real racists. Really, your going with that silliness?

Again, there is a history of comparing black people to monkeys, used to dehumanized them. Any adult using it knows damn well what there doing, and the intent is obvious.

If I have a baby with a white woman and he's jumping around acting crazy, it's not racist to call him a "little crazy monkey". But how about if I have a baby with a black woman? Is it racist if I call him a "little crazy monkey"?

The black people = monkey/ape insult is so damn stupid. If you, as a white person, say it's racist, then aren't you admitting you think they look alike? If a black person literally facially resembles a person in an ape mask in a film, it shouldn't be racist to point that out, like pointing out Trump's resemblance to certain banana eating creatures.

That reminds me of a story I heard years ago when a creche worker got herself in a spot of bother when she affectionately called a group of kids "cheeky little monkeys". A couple of those kids were black and their parents didn't take to kindly to the comments but they didn't realise its a common term used here.

Wanna Sykes, one of the writers on Roseanne, who quit over the issue just hours before the storm hit:

https://twitter.com/iamwandasykes/status/930999556606640128

• Closed Accounts Posts: 138 ✭✭Joe Dog

py2006 wrote: »
    Wanna Sykes, one of the writers on Roseanne, who quit over the issue just hours before the storm hit:

https://twitter.com/iamwandasykes/status/930999556606640128

She's right, I stole Luxembourg yesterday it looks lovely out there in the back garden.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Penn wrote: »
    "He's fat, uses fake tan and his hair is weird" doesn't equate to "This woman who is half black is like something from Planet of the Apes"

One is commenting on appearance, one has connotations to the person's race in a way that is regularly used as racist abuse.

He does resemble an orangutan though, and I believe that is his nickname.

Nothing against the President btw. Big fan.

I just think he resembles a mature male Bornean orang.

• Registered Users Posts: 858 ✭✭✭one armed dwarf

It's all about context isn't it.

I think your example would be knee-jerk reactionism. As was that H&M hoodie a while back.

But in the context of it being an insult against someone with African roots it's a lot harder to disentangle its racist connotations.

There's a big history of psuedo-science that tried to 'prove' that that there was little between the savage ape and African people. That tried to argue that slavery was natural for them because they were inferior sort of people.

People seriously believed this like this:

We (Irish) share a little of that in our history.
    Scientific_racism_irish.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭Snickers Man

screamer wrote: »
    Perhaps stupider than her tweets is taking to Twitter after taking sleeping tablets...... Seriously.

She has some form in this regard. Last time it was us she had a problem with.

Never EVER drink and Tweet. Or take Ambien and Tweet for that matter.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭123balltv

She has some form in this regard. Last time it was us she had a problem with.

Never EVER drink and Tweet. Or take Ambien and Tweet for that matter.

Ironic last episode of Roseanne I seen on youtube had Roseanne stashing away Oxycontin in secret locations it was great while it lasted.

• Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭Vital Transformation

The manufacturers of Ambien actually released a statement saying racism is not one of the side effects of the drug. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,474 ✭✭✭valoren

The manufacturers of Ambien actually released a statement saying racism is not one of the side effects of the drug. :pac:

I hope whoever wrote that statement get's a spot bonus next month. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭Yester

I just finished watching this and I have to say I was enjoying it even more than the original series. Damnit Roseanne.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,225 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

I'm sure if someone called her a fat loudmouth kike, she'd be straight onto Twatter to shoot her gob off about it.

Into the bargain, am I the only one who isn't surprised by this? She's made a living being a snarky, obnoxious cunt. That's her persona, on stage and off. She's been doing it for years. 'Roseanne' was always about that. I've no doubt she thought her tweet was just the same edgy, mouthy, "comedy" that she's been peddling for decades and not racist in any way.

A friend of mine has said that she's started to have a go at her colleagues on the show now. I'm not on Twitter, it's a cesspool of idiots and one of the worst things about the web, but this infighting ain't going to make things better.

I've no idea why celebs go on Twitter. It's so dangerous. You can't apply any sort of context to any of your remarks, when it's limited to so little text. You can only speak in soundbites and absolutes. Nearly everyone comes off as an ass eventually. It's, absolutely, the worst kind of forum for any kind of discussion.

https://twitter.com/SanofiUS/status/1001824999496404992

• Registered Users Posts: 60,558 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Uncancel and replace her with Tom Arnold and say she had a sex change.

I read there as well that she made $20m from the aired episodes so not bad for a short comeback.

• Advertisement

I must be the only person in the world that think the network at the world seems to be over reacting. Yes it was a nasty joke and a slap on the wrist and an apology is warranted. If she had made fun of a straight white western man nobody would give a crap.

We unfortunately live in a world were you can't say anything nowadays. The only person that should be offended is Valerie Jarrett, and not a host of pc bandits.

I'd love to see the show return and have Valerie Jarrett guest appear in the opening scene taking the piss out of Roseanne or whatever.

At the very very very least continue the show without her for one season to see how it goes.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,378 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Had it been an isolated incident then yeah, why cancel. But Roseanne simply has form in sh*tty racist behaviour. The network didn't factor this in and the inevitable terrible publicity generated by Barrs sudden return to mainsteam celebrity. They panicked and made a financial decision but have only themselves to blame

• Registered Users Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭Patty O Furniture

According to a story on NBC Nightly News, just a while ago i saw, it may return as Darlene?

http://tvline.com/2018/06/01/roseanne-spinoff-darlene-sara-gilbert-abc-renewed/

I haven't seen the reboot, but i see that Sara Gilbert is an Exec Producer on the show? i'd heard she wasn't gonna work with her again!

http://tvline.com/tag/sara-gilbert/

Maybe she's looking out for the 200 jobs & 'David' when he's finished with 'Penny' :p:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭sunbeam

Surely the plot line that Roseanne's character was
    about to go for knee surgery
    would be the perfect excuse to kill her off and resume the show with the rest of the cast?

In retrospect, given the investment, potential returns and Roseanne's history of mental health and issues with authority and control - kind of surprising that ABC didn't insist on access or control to her public social media accounts. Most major networks/distributors would. And also curious about the reasons for Whitney Cummings departure - again, likely a harbinger of trouble to come.

Regardless, no winners in this one.

Darlene - nice idea but kind of has sad, tragic and bad writing vibes already no? *hope hope hope i'm wrong, I was loving season 10, but come on... The charm of Roseanne was her crassness (until).

sunbeam wrote: »
    Surely the plot line that Roseanne's character was
    about to go for knee surgery
    would be the perfect excuse to kill her off and resume the show with the rest of the cast?

Interestingly, in the final episode, her character did express to Dan
    her worry about dying and going without him
    . Seems a natural storyline now.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,614 ✭✭✭✭Penn

pixelburp wrote: »
    Had it been an isolated incident then yeah, why cancel. But Roseanne simply has form in sh*tty racist behaviour. The network didn't factor this in and the inevitable terrible publicity generated by Barrs sudden return to mainsteam celebrity. They panicked and made a financial decision but have only themselves to blame

I agree. In a way, I kinda believe Roseanne may not have known the woman was black. It is definitely possible. But that tweet is the full stop on a long, horrifying sentence of some of the stuff Roseanne has been saying and doing for a number of years, and even very recently on Twitter. The network took a huge chance on her and for the most part it paid off. But she'd been skirting the line and drawing a lot of negative publicity to herself and the show before this tweet. This was simply the one to finally push her over that line, whether it was an intentionally racist remark or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,310 ✭✭✭Pkiernan

Yes. It is important that speech be curtailed. Only politically correct speech should be allowed.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,378 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Pkiernan wrote: »
    Yes. It is important that speech be curtailed. Only politically correct speech should be allowed.

:rolleyes: "free speech" doesn't automatically immune you from consequence, nor does it protect you from any contract with a business, or freedom from terms and conditions. It's not some blanket hard pass from sh*tty behaviour; If you or I conducted ourselves like Roseanne in own own offices or industry towards a colleague, we'd get our marching orders.

• Advertisement

Can you imagine the amount of people around the world both famous, political and lay people that would be fired for their comments on trumps physical appearance etc if it was the same rule for all.

Advertisement