Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Deer in a small forestry.

Options
  • 11-05-2017 6:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭

Was out walking today on a river and came across a forestry said i walk the line of it for runs to snare and that came across a hot part of the forestry where deer prints were in the mud and signs of fur on the barbed wire where deer are crossing this forestry is no than 100 acres. i imminently got in the car and call to the farmer asked him for permission good old famous words ''work away''. has anyone else got permissions like this holding deer.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭cookimonster

Without giving actual GPS coordinates where are you talking about and what deer species are they?

If their lowland reds you may find that they are transient, moving between locations - bedding and feeding spots or they are moving in large circles or routes where your location may only be visited once or twice in a month. Small choke points such as river crossings or sheltered areas can present so much sign - droppings, hair, slots, browse lines etc you could easily mistake a small amount - 2 to 3, animals as being more numerous. You could certainly have successes if you stake the location out but unless your living locally and acting on on the spot sightings it can be frustrating waiting to connect.

This time of the year hinds and does are ready to fawn and you may be seeing a spot routinely used for this and as the year goes on the animals may not remain. I have one or two permissions that are similar and have found them to be effected by external factors such as local farming - presence of cattle / sheep, late evening farming particularly during shorter days, bird season - one spot is a waste of time during pheasant season and then shorter days where the animals go nocturnal and are not seen at dawn and dusk.

So only time, patience and a lot more time will tell what you have, when you have it and how to tackle it. Either way best of luck with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭Hunter456

Without giving actual GPS coordinates where are you talking about and what deer species are they?

If their lowland reds you may find that they are transient, moving between locations - bedding and feeding spots or they are moving in large circles or routes where your location may only be visited once or twice in a month. Small choke points such as river crossings or sheltered areas can present so much sign - droppings, hair, slots, browse lines etc you could easily mistake a small amount - 2 to 3, animals as being more numerous. You could certainly have successes if you stake the location out but unless your living locally and acting on on the spot sightings it can be frustrating waiting to connect.

This time of the year hinds and does are ready to fawn and you may be seeing a spot routinely used for this and as the year goes on the animals may not remain. I have one or two permissions that are similar and have found them to be effected by external factors such as local farming - presence of cattle / sheep, late evening farming particularly during shorter days, bird season - one spot is a waste of time during pheasant season and then shorter days where the animals go nocturnal and are not seen at dawn and dusk.

So only time, patience and a lot more time will tell what you have, when you have it and how to tackle it. Either way best of luck with it.

East limerick and there is fallow deer in this spot and surrounding area. A lad I know also told me when he was fishing he seen them out grazing a few times.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭cookimonster

Do a bit of scouting and see can you find their tracks through the fields to and from the woods and you'll have a good idea as to what their up to and weather they are staying in the surrounding fields to feed.
    I have permission along the outside of a wood and the deer will feed out from the forest but cross over the road to other fields and usually but not always move out with the wind so you tend to see them exit at one location and return at another. We have had good successes in this small location catching them moving in or out.
    We use high seats with great success but often take a animal on the way in as well, deer will always be where you weren't expecting them.

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭smallfry

Trailcam is the way to go. Put it in that hot spot. I would check it first after a few weeks in case the memory fills quickly and if it doesn't I'd leave it there for the next few months so you should have an idea coming to September what kind of numbers are around. Don't over shoot it and scare them all away from that small area.

smallfry

• Registered Users Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭Kat1170

deer will always be where you weren't expecting them.

Ha ha, this, a thousand times this. The amount of times all you will see is a white ar$e disappearing, or hear a whistle or a bark is too damned high :D:D

• Advertisement
Advertisement