Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Landlord witholding deposit

Options
2»

Comments

davindub wrote: »
    Show me once piece of evidence supporting your position. A licensee is no different to having a friend stay over for the weekend. They have no say whatsoever on if the owner enters or not. They have no rights simple as that.

In a hotel or B&B it's no different the room can be entered at anytime for any reason.

Can you not go buy some books on the subjects to understand it yourself better?

I really couldn't care less what madness you believe, but if you ever have a court date let me know, it would be hilarious.

Ha ha, you are talking absolute gutter and would want to invest in these books you are talking about yourself as I'm the one who actually knows how it works.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

Nox001 and Davindub take it to pm. You are both around the forum long enough to know that this sort of sniping and points scoring to and fro is not acceptable.

Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭Acciaccatura

So, I moved out of the house yesterday, after the landlord walked out on me. He had a guest over later that evening while I was waiting for my dad to come pick me and my stuff up, and went to return the key. He seemed a bit taken aback that I was leaving now rather than the date I'd given him, and then proceeded to have another quite heated conversation with me (in front of his guest, with whom he'd obviously told her about the situation as she was all set to jump in and have a go at me to support him). He basically made out that I'd briefly mentioned my leaving in May way back when I first moved in and ignored any of the valid points I made - I hardly got a word in edgeways anyway from all his ranting and raving. He claimed that everyone he's discussed this with is on his side and that his conscience is clear. He said he'll get in contact with me if he fills the room by the 28th to get me the deposit back. I could see that this argument was going nowhere and that my father was sitting in the car just wanting to go home for dinner after a long day at work, so I, being pretty peed off at being walked out on earlier and then humiliated in front of his friend, said a curt goodbye and slammed the door. 
    I should note that he has the room up on rent.ie, Daft and Facebook now, so we'll see how this turns out. We're going to ask Threshold.ie for advice first, to see if it would be worth going to the small claims court. I'll be keeping an eye on the advert on Daft and Rent to see if it gets taken down before the 28th of May, and will contact him then to see if he holds up his end of the deal.

Thanks so much for all your help and advice, everyone. The moral of the story is, no matter how casual and friendly you are with your landlord, do things properly and create a paper trail from day one; submit everything in writing.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,100 ✭✭✭Browney7

So, I moved out of the house yesterday, after the landlord walked out on me. He had a guest over later that evening while I was waiting for my dad to come pick me and my stuff up, and went to return the key. He seemed a bit taken aback that I was leaving now rather than the date I'd given him, and then proceeded to have another quite heated conversation with me (in front of his guest, with whom he'd obviously told her about the situation as she was all set to jump in and have a go at me to support him). He basically made out that I'd briefly mentioned my leaving in May way back when I first moved in and ignored any of the valid points I made - I hardly got a word in edgeways anyway from all his ranting and raving. He claimed that everyone he's discussed this with is on his side and that his conscience is clear. He said he'll get in contact with me if he fills the room by the 28th to get me the deposit back. I could see that this argument was going nowhere and that my father was sitting in the car just wanting to go home for dinner after a long day at work, so I, being pretty peed off at being walked out on earlier and then humiliated in front of his friend, said a curt goodbye and slammed the door. 
    I should note that he has the room up on rent.ie, Daft and Facebook now, so we'll see how this turns out. We're going to ask Threshold.ie for advice first, to see if it would be worth going to the small claims court. I'll be keeping an eye on the advert on Daft and Rent to see if it gets taken down before the 28th of May, and will contact him then to see if he holds up his end of the deal.

Thanks so much for all your help and advice, everyone. The moral of the story is, no matter how casual and friendly you are with your landlord, do things properly and create a paper trail from day one; submit everything in writing.

Lesson being landlords and property owners are usually grand until you want to leave.

You won't get your deposit back now OP now that you've left. You should have told his friend where to go aswell. Next time you leave a place where you are renting a room negotiate to use the deposit as last month's rent because when you are a licensee you rely on his goodwill to give your money back. At least with a tenancy you have the RTB to use

Advertisement