Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

EV & Ioniq Questions

• 11-05-2017 8:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭

Hi

I have been trying to keep up with all the threads, but still have some questions. Apologies if they're answered elsewhere. I am interested in a full electric Ioniq.
    - Are the ESB still doing free home charge installations?
    - Do they do day/night as part of the installation?
    - If you have one, can you still get free public charging?
    - Does the Ioniq have enough boot space for a adult bike (with wheels off)?
    - Is it true there is a six month waiting list of the Ioniq?
    - Worst case and you run out of juice I assume you can get someone to call out and recharge you? Or is it a tow?
    - Who services EVs? Just the main dealers or are there other garages?

Thanks in advance,
    John

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,702 ✭✭✭✭BoatMad

fitz213 wrote: »
    Hi

I have been trying to keep up with all the threads, but still have some questions. Apologies if they're answered elsewhere. I am interested in a full electric Ioniq.
    - Are the ESB still doing free home charge installations?
    - Do they do day/night as part of the installation?
    - If you have one, can you still get free public charging?
    - Worst case and you run out of juice I assume you can get someone to call out and recharge you? Or is it a tow?
    - Who services EVs? Just the main dealers or are there other garages?

Thanks in advance,
    John

still free home installations at present, expected to end " soon" was what they said at the Seai show

you do not get day night as part of it, you have to request it separately , their is no charge for such an installation, the standing charge increases by about 30 euros a year .

public charging is free, whether or not you have a home installation , that situation will continue for this year at least

cant answer the bike question

dealer said to me last week , they should have stock around November, unless something changes, he was not happy

Theres is no mobile recharge service ( but that cant be far away for the likes of the AA ), so its a tow
    but the fact is very few people run out , most drive very conservatively . in 5 years nissan saw 10 people availed of the recovery vehicle service, the Ioniq with its better range and better instrumentation , is likely to be even less

in Hyundais case there is no designated EV dealers ( nor is their any more with Nissan ) having meet Hyundai, I am under the impression they are slow and haphazard in getting the dealers up to speed on EVs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 369 ✭✭thelikelylad

Haven't tried fitting one in the boot with the wheels off but my road bike fits fine, wheels on with the back seats down.

I'll try see if my bike fits with the wheels off in just the boot at the weekend if I have time. Can't see why not with the parcel shelf stored under the boot floor.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭fitz213

Haven't tried fitting one in the boot with the wheels off but my road bike fits fine, wheels on with the back seats down.

I'll try see if my bike fits with the wheels off in just the boot at the weekend if I have time. Can't see why not with the parcel shelf stored under the boot floor.

Thanks both.

Reason why I ask re: bike in boot is the kids will be in the back seats :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭cros13

BoatMad wrote: »
    Theres is no mobile recharge service ( but that cant be far away for the likes of the AA ), so its a tow

There is a company in Carlow making portable rapid chargers which some of the recovery services in the UK have trialed, including the AA. But the AA withdrew after the trial due to lack of demand for the service.
    BoatMad wrote: »
    but the fact is very few people run out , most drive very conservatively . in 5 years nissan saw 10 people availed of the recovery vehicle service, the Ioniq with its better range and better instrumentation , is likely to be even less

In 250,000km of electric driving I've never ran out. Although my dad did a few months back for the first time after three years being a Leaf owner and on his second EV. He skipped a rapid charger on a motorway trip having started off with a lower charge than usual, in freezing rain and into a 60km/h headwind. Ran out 200 meters away from the next rapid and had to call Nissan. They have a 30 minute response and towed him to the rapid.

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭Mope

You are not supposed to tow an EV, but I guess 200 meters or anything below few KM (like 10 or less) isn't going to break anything? :]

Question re bike is interesting, did not try it myself, but I have a mountain bike which is bulky, same for tires... Will maybe try at some stage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,741 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

cros13 wrote: »
    Although my dad did a few months back for the first time after three years being a Leaf owner and on his second EV. He skipped a rapid charger on a motorway trip having started off with a lower charge than usual, in freezing rain and into a 60km/h headwind.

He was very unlucky. That headwind must have murdered his range.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭fitz213

Dropped into the dealer today and measured the boot and its c. 32x40" flat, a few inches smaller than my XL bike frame. Would probably fit in but not flat!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭man_no_plan

Dealer told me he could get a black or white for July, silver would be October.

Advertisement