Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buying a bike - test drive?

Options
  • 11-05-2017 8:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭

This may be a silly question in the context of bikes, but I went into a bike shop this evening and after looking over a few i picked out one I was interested in and had a chat about it. The sales person asked if I wanted him to put pedals on it so I said go for it. He went off and brought it back to me after a few mins. After sitting on it I said that I assume it is ok to take it outside to the nice big car park and try it out.
    Nope!!! Not a chance.
    So I am expected to hand over hundreds of euro without being allowed to even test it for a minute? I left obviously even though the bike seemed to be what I was looking for.

Is this normal for all bike shops? Are they afraid you will cycle off on it? My 2 young kids and wife were there also...not like I was going to rob the damn thing.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,263 ✭✭✭robyntmorton

A couple of years ago shopping for a bike, I came across the same thing. There does seem to be that "if you cycle out of here without paying, you'll never be back" attitude. I would leave the likes of my phone and ID with them, just to show you're serious.

Other shops though, seem to actively encourage tests. It's a difficult juggling act, unfortunately.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,121 ✭✭✭amcalester

I text rode the last bike I bought, left a debit card as security and went off for 30 minutes.

Assumed that the was normal, the bike cost £900 so not top of the line but not crap either.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

Good to know this doesn't seem to be a general thing. Last shop I went to had nowhere other than a busy road outside the door so I didn't even ask. I'll try somewhere else over the weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭stopped_clock

Last time I bought a bike I had a three day trial. Bike shop just took a credit card as security afair.

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭Kevincavan83

I was in a shop near Clontarf and the lads were dead sound, offered me the bike to try out to head out to howth and try it for a while, told them I couldn't as the wife was in the car outside and they said take a ladies dutch bike out for my wife aswell.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,024 ✭✭✭Colonel Panic

Depends on the shop, obviously, but I wouldn't buy a bike from a bricks and mortar bike shop without a test cycle. I'm happy to leave ID and a credit card. Once or two shops didn't even bother asking.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,248 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

Ludo wrote: »
    This may be a silly question in the context of bikes, but I went into a bike shop this evening and after looking over a few i picked out one I was interested in and had a chat about it. The sales person asked if I wanted him to put pedals on it so I said go for it. He went off and brought it back to me after a few mins. After sitting on it I said that I assume it is ok to take it outside to the nice big car park and try it out.
    Nope!!! Not a chance.
    So I am expected to hand over hundreds of euro without being allowed to even test it for a minute? I left obviously even though the bike seemed to be what I was looking for.

Is this normal for all bike shops? Are they afraid you will cycle off on it? My 2 young kids and wife were there also...not like I was going to rob the damn thing.

Halfords?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

07Lapierre wrote: »
    Halfords?

Nope...The Edge. Very disappointed in it to be honest as it a local shop and the nearest to me which I would like to support. But certainly wont be now.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭paul mountainbike

Went to look at bikes in 2 shops great service from both .
    Bikeology in Naas and Race Riget cycles in port loaise .
    Both happy to let have a spin around the estate they were on and Bikeology even offered a test off road at a later date as mountain bike was my interest.

Ordered from Martin at race right now .
    Great service.

Advertisement