Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gem Pack Custard Powder - gluten free

• 11-05-2017 8:53pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭

Gem Custard is on my approved gluten free list. I have never seen it in any of the major supermarkets. If anyone has come across it, particularly in or around Dublin, could you post here please. Occasionally I do make my own home made custard but now and again the quick custard is a lifesaver.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 286 ✭✭th283

Jellybaby1 wrote: »
    Gem Custard is on my approved gluten free list. I have never seen it in any of the major supermarkets. If anyone has come across it, particularly in or around Dublin, could you post here please. Occasionally I do make my own home made custard but now and again the quick custard is a lifesaver.

Hi, gem custard is a catering product which isn't available in supermarkets. Your best bet would be to go to your local cash and carry and pick up a bag ( most cash and carry's allow this, you just need to pay the vat). The only thing is the smallest size is 3kg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

I see it here
    https://buybulk.ie/products/gem-pack-custard-1-x-3kgm

if you do find a C&C which will sell to you then it seems its vat free, many basic foodstuffs are.

Their site says nothing about it being GF
    http://www.gempackfoods.ie/products/custard-powder/

this post from 2013 claims gem & shamrock were GF, but recipies can change at any time.
    https://www.coeliac.ie/webboards/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=6780

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

I did not know that Gem is a bulk buy product. Now why the Coeliac Society of Ireland does not state that is beyond me. I've been everywhere looking for it. Thanks for the replies, much appreciated.

In addition, the Coeliac Society sends us a list of gluten free approved products. The manufacturers have to be able to state that their product is produced without gluten, and in a gluten free zone for them to be included in the list.......at least, that is what I have always believed. I don't know if there are any strict rules regarding this, just 'guidelines'. We Coeliacs just live from day to day and have to trust what we are told.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,951 ✭✭✭SB_Part2

Custard isn't that difficult to make from scratch. Could you try doing that? At least then you'd know there's no gluten in it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,080 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

I'd imagine that most custard powders are actually gluten free, just not certified as such.

I'd imagine that it is pretty strict regarding labelling your product as gluten free.

Jellybaby1 wrote: »
    SB_Part2 wrote: »
    Custard isn't that difficult to make from scratch. Could you try doing that? At least then you'd know there's no gluten in it.

See my post above.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 286 ✭✭th283

The custard in Aldi is gluten free, this leaflet from Aldi is quite good for allergy information

https://cdn.aldi-digital.co.uk/kY1o$cd2a3YgNWHBM2KoSoAKfVs.pdf

Thanks for that list. I was able to do a quick search and found the products on the list. Its very labour intensive searching for products in the CSoI book.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,185 ✭✭✭dee_mc

I saw the Gem custard powder in the desserts aisle (jelly, meringues etc) of Dunnes Ennis today. It has a little 'gluten free' logo on the pack, which is a creamy yellow cylindrical cardboard tub with a plastic lid.
    If it's stocked in one Dunnes it's sure to be in some of the Dublin stores!

• Advertisement

That's interesting. I've searched Dunnes in Dublin and still haven't come across it. I wonder if your branch is a bit.....maverick!? Doing their own thing maybe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,185 ✭✭✭dee_mc

Jellybaby1 wrote:
    That's interesting. I've searched Dunnes in Dublin and still haven't come across it. I wonder if your branch is a bit.....maverick!? Doing their own thing maybe.

Maybe it's just down to an older, more rural population with more traditional tastes?
    The point is, it's on their stock list and definitely isn't just available as a bulk item - you could ask your local branch to stock it for you, although Dunnes are generally slow to order anything they see as niche based on the request of one or a few customers. Worth a shot though.

Advertisement