Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coastal towns north of Dublin: where would you choose?

Options
  • 11-05-2017 9:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13

If your budget was E350,000 maximum

If your preferred area was north of Dublin

If you were looking for a home with two to three bedrooms and a back garden (a small one would do) - preferably a house, but a ground floor apartment with a garden would be fine

If you worked mainly from home and only had to commute to Dublin a couple of times a month

If your priorties were to find somewhere by the sea with other nice places to take the kids for walks (and preferably where you could take the dog off the lead!)

If you're happy enough with the quiet life so don't need a bunch of clubs, pubs and restaurants

Would you choose..... see poll!

North of Dublin by the sea..... 107 votes

Rush
    0% 0 votes
    Loughshinny
    14% 15 votes
    Skerries
    5% 6 votes
    Balbriggan
    70% 75 votes
    Laytown
    4% 5 votes
    Bettystown
    1% 2 votes
    Other
    3% 4 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭LirW

Dundalk would it be for me, either Blackrock or the Area of Point Road. Drogheda is neat too, but I prefer Dundalk. I do not like any of the town named in your poll.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭whippet

Termonfeckin or baltray

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭private

I chose Skerries for a multitude of reasons but Rush would probably be better for dog walking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

Moved from Accommodation and Property. Local forum charter applies

• Registered Users Posts: 1,351 ✭✭✭Cloudio9

I think Skerries is a good balance. Has train service to Dublin. Attractive village with good options for eating. Has Ardgillan. Not too far outside Dublin area for shopping trips etc. Close to airport.

If your WFH situation changes in the future you are still a reasonable 35-40 minute train commute to Dublin.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,990 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

It's a bit of a tough one as Skerries and Drogheda have their plus points but it'd really all depend on the house as it's perfectly easy to commute from the likes of Bettystown and Drogheda to Dublin. That said Termonfeckin and Clougherhead are in a stunning location so it'd really boil down to what type of house/grounds I'd get.
    Personally I'd want something with a large garden, a hefty wide open area between my nearest neighbours and ideally off some quiet road with lots of trees around me. If the right house was in Skerries at one end or Termonfeckin at the other, then I'd be happy in either place.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

I think Skerries would be my first choice of coastal town if the house type/view/proximity to the beach were right :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,228 ✭✭✭plodder

+1 for Skerries, but I'd say prices are higher there.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,239 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

You forgot Donabate / Portrane. Which I'd obviously recommend ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭hammy007

Sleepy wrote: »
    You forgot Donabate / Portrane. Which I'd obviously recommend ;)

Would agree! Donabate is hidden gem and has everything - beach, Newbridge, train, and a few shops/pubs/restaurants. Skerries would have my vote too, but Donabate is handier to get to town.

• Advertisement

A damn sight cheaper than Skerries too.

TBH, if I'd the money, Skerries is a better area on balance but 350k would get you a lot more house in Donabate or Portrane than it would in Skerries.

Sure, you'd get even more for your money in Balbriggan or Bettystown but you'd be that bit further out from the city and, being honest, I wouldn't fancy living in either area.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,433 ✭✭✭Lamper.sffc

Skerries is the nicest town. If price was an issue then Rush. Still a good place to live and not too far from Skerries.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

You would struggle to get anything with a garden in skerries for 350k
    Rush is cheaper and nice but a bit of a mess planning wise
    Loughshinney very small and again 350k wouldn't get you much
    I like Balbriggan but its a bit run down in places
    Drogheda has nice parts but is not on the coast as such really

• Registered Users Posts: 13,754 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

350 will get you a 3 Bed Semi in Barnageeragh Cove in Skerries, that would be my pick of the available coastal towns mentioned.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,290 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Skerries has seen limited property development over recent years compared to some of the other towns in the area. It's retained it's character, and has a fantastic community spirit. It's small enough for everyone to feel part of that community, but manages to provide a fantastic range of activities year-round. Loughshinney Motorcycle Supporters Club put on the Skerries 100, there's the Soundwaves Festival, the annual Ras Cycling race has finished in the town for over a decade and there are numerous other events on throughout the year.

Skerries also caters for various sports including Soccer, Rugby, GAA, Cricket and has an active sailing community. Add to that the recent Tidy Towns award which further highlights the sense of community in the town. I really cannot believe how fortunate I was in discovering this town shortly ahead of moving over to Ireland just over a decade ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭private

I have just purchased in Skerries and have no connection to the area. The tidy town award was a real selling point for me. Community spirit is so important. I was also seriously considering Rush because of the Gaelscoil but the train connections from skerries to the city and the excellent secondary school won the day. I just wish they had a Gaelscoil and an Aldi.

As regards the rest

I like Donabate but village life is not connected to the coast in the same way. I do really like it and I even had my wedding reception there.
    Loughshinny too small. No train.
    Balbriggan too big, too much development
    Malahide too expensive, Don't like the beach.

I was only considering places with good sailing clubs in the end.

Can't comment on the rest.

• Registered Users Posts: 870 ✭✭✭barney shamrock

Skerries has storm in a teacup!

A damn sight cheaper than Skerries too.

TBH, if I'd the money, Skerries is a better area on balance but 350k would get you a lot more house in Donabate or Portrane than it would in Skerries.

Sure, you'd get even more for your money in Balbriggan or Bettystown but you'd be that bit further out from the city and, being honest, I wouldn't fancy living in either area.

*Fisticuffs*

*Fisticuffs*
    That's certainly part of the town's problems! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭minikin

Balbriggan - because it actually has Ardgillan.
    Three / four bed on at 300,000 in Fancourt Road with beautiful sea views, small mature private estate in very quiet part of the town, ideal for families! Five mins walk to the train, five mins drive to the motorway, has a cinema and a shopping centre which boasts Ireland's biggest lingerie department apparently.

13zr8qs.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

minikin wrote: »
    Balbriggan......
    .......Three / four bed on at 300,000 in Fancourt Road with beautiful sea views, small mature private estate in very quiet part of the town, ideal for families! Five mins walk to the train, five mins drive to the motorway, has a cinema and a shopping centre....
    You're ain't selling it to me!

If I didn't know the area, and saw that a 3/4 bed house with the above described amenities is only €300k I'd be looking for the catch.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭minikin

You're ain't selling it to me!

If I didn't know the area, and saw that a 3/4 bed house with the above described amenities is only €300k I'd be looking for the catch.

I'm not selling anything to anyone, just passing on information that could be useful to the o.p.

The catch? That would have to be the equivalent of badge snobbery with cars... if you know the area then you know what a gem it is, if you're only basing your views on something you've heard about it or read about the town on Facebook then you're welcome to your opinion. Fancourt Road is a mature respectable area, just like a lot of other areas of 'old balbriggan' which are getting tarred by the same brush of ignorance by people who have heard rumours about the newer areas and extrapolate that to the whole town.

That's certainly part of the town's problems! :p

Ah I jest, it's hardly the most desirable part of north Dublin to live in but to be fair to it, I've lived there for six years and haven't really seen that much trouble- certainly no more than anywhere else. I think your experience of it can vary hugely depending on which part of the town you live in. While it doesn't have the charm of Skerries it does have some major plus points but each to their own of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,857 ✭✭✭billyhead

Currently living in Rush myself but if I could afford it I would move to Skerries. Its a lovely seaside town with great Bars, restaurants and walks.

Ah I jest, it's hardly the most desirable part of north Dublin to live in but to be fair to it, I've lived there for six years and haven't really seen that much trouble- certainly no more than anywhere else. I think your experience of it can vary hugely depending on which part of the town you live in. While it doesn't have the charm of Skerries it does have some major plus points but each to their own of course.
    Ah, I'm just teasing, I've family in Derham Park and lived in Stamullen for a while where Balbriggan was the nearest town for shopping / decent take-aways so I know the town fairly well. If the OP's budget was lower, I'd recommend it but since it's not, I'd recommend trying for some nicer areas in the North County.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭seagull

Skerries has storm in a teacup!

Donabate has scrumdiddlys

• Registered Users Posts: 4,254 ✭✭✭LeoB

Obviously I will recommend Rush.

The only thing against it is the Main Street but hopefully that will be sorted soon.

The town has improved a lot over the last few years and is continuing to develop thanks to Rush T.T.

There is good value to be had around Rush for €350.000.
    There are plenty of amenities and clubs like the other towns mentioned. G.A.A. Soccer, Cricket, Camera club, golf club an excellent sailing club with good facilities. Millbank theatre which is top class. Decent pubs some of them do excellent food.
    Probably the biggest selling point is the 2 beachs, North and South and the walk to Drummanagh across the cliffs and coves at top of north beach. Plenty of space for dogs. Few take aways and Indian and Thai cuisine. Tesco and Eurospar are main shops.
    Good bus service to city and the train station is 30 minute walk from church
    There are 5 schools in the parish 3 primary, A Gael scoil and St. Josephs secondary school and each is quite good.

Like minikin I agree there is a badge of snobbery attached to living in some parts of Fingal and a badge of snobbery attached to living in areas within towns. Think that is everywhere. I work in Balbriggan and it has some very good areas just a few bad sheep and bad planning. Fancourt would be very good spot to live.

By and large North Dublin is a good place to live

LeoB wrote: »
    Obviously I will recommend Rush.

The only thing against it is the Main Street but hopefully that will be sorted soon.

The town has improved a lot over the last few years and is continuing to develop thanks to Rush T.T.

There is good value to be had around Rush for €350.000.
    There are plenty of amenities and clubs like the other towns mentioned. G.A.A. Soccer, Cricket, Camera club, golf club an excellent sailing club with good facilities. Millbank theatre which is top class. Decent pubs some of them do excellent food.
    Probably the biggest selling point is the 2 beachs, North and South and the walk to Drummanagh across the cliffs and coves at top of north beach. Plenty of space for dogs. Few take aways and Indian and Thai cuisine. Tesco and Eurospar are main shops.
    Good bus service to city and the train station is 30 minute walk from church
    There are 5 schools in the parish 3 primary, A Gael scoil and St. Josephs secondary school and each is quite good.

Like minikin I agree there is a badge of snobbery attached to living in some parts of Fingal and a badge of snobbery attached to living in areas within towns. Think that is everywhere. I work in Balbriggan and it has some very good areas just a few bad sheep and bad planning. Fancourt would be very good spot to live.

By and large North Dublin is a good place to live

You've missed the single greatest thing about Rush..... the spice bag from the Ocean Inn. I've deviated off of the M1 on my way home to Balbriggan many a time to go get a bag for my neighbour and myself. They're divine.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,254 ✭✭✭LeoB

You've missed the single greatest thing about Rush..... the spice bag from the Ocean Inn. I've deviated off of the M1 on my way home to Balbriggan many a time to go get a bag for my neighbour and myself. They're divine.

The Ocean Inn is doing serious business and is one of the best take aways in North Dublin but my last visit was not so good.

And speaking of D'Vine Great reports of the new D'Vine opened where the Thatch was

Where would you get a sunrise like it??

31346753290_a67e936005_b.jpg51/52 Rush Sunrise on North beach by Leo Bissett, on Flickr

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 186 ✭✭Tayschren

Skerries is the best of the list, but if you have the money Malahide should be top of the list by a country mile

Advertisement