Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cardboard boxes to ship a bike?

Options
  • 11-05-2017 10:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 49

I have been looking at many .ie mail order packaging websites and I can't find one that sells cardboard boxes to ship a bicycle! Normally these are approx. 150x25x90 but I would like something real sturdy since I am relocating abroad and need to ship a couple of bikes with the courier.
    I have found some on Amazon uk and even ebay but all reviews say that even double-walled ones are paper thin.
    I live remotely in the West otherwise I would ask a bike shop, but there's none here.
    Any idea, links etc....???

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭crossmolinalad

At the airport from the airliner you fly with search their website
    What to do take a bike on flight
    Got one for myself when I got on holydays with the bike

• Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭Type 17

Most bike shops will have one (for free), if you don't mind travelling a bit - a bike manufacturer's box will be good quality if it hasn't been knocked about too much.
    Call the shop with a few days notice, to give them a chance to keep you some boxes, and avoid breaking them up for recycling.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 Hungryhill

as said I live in the West, I can't travel 500km to say, Dublin, asking bike shops for a cardboard box.
    This one http://www.packingboxes.co.uk/bicycle-bike-boxes/ seems sturdy enough (?)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭Type 17

Which county? - are there no bikes shops at all?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,372 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

Hungryhill wrote: »
    as said I live in the West, I can't travel 500km to say, Dublin, asking bike shops for a cardboard box.
    This one http://www.packingboxes.co.uk/bicycle-bike-boxes/ seems sturdy enough (?)

I'd be fairly confident they have a few bike shops out whest :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

OP if you happen to be in Donegal/Letterkenny or know someone coming up this way I have a cardboard box that my new bike arrived in last week and you are welcome to have it FOC.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 Hungryhill

thanks for the kind offer Cee-Jay-Cee! I am moving abroad so besides the two bikes, I was thinking to get 2 more exact size boxes for my clothing, computer etc. (I don't own much LOL).

Something like four same size 150x30x90ish boxes would help with the courier I guess, storage and packing, and make for an easier transport.

Advertisement