Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Staying in St Patrick's Hill area - safe?

Options
  • 11-05-2017 10:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,619 ✭✭✭

Hi all, I hope it's okay to post this here.
    I will be staying in the Patrick's Hill area of Cork City in about a month for one night. I have accommodation in the area booked so I'm just wondering is the area safe enough to walk home from the city centre late at night? Also, I will be on a motorbike, would it be safe enough to park a bike in that general area overnight?
    Appreciate any help.
    Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭KCAccidental

If you keep your wits about you on bridge street and the lights by coburg street you should be fine.

I'd be much less confident about the bike though.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,033 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

St. Patrick's Hill is in the city centre and it's fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 949 ✭✭✭Tom44

Safe as most areas in the city, so I wouldn't worry.

• Registered Users Posts: 843 ✭✭✭what the hell!

Not much different to a lot of areas in any city.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭TrustedApple

I used to Live on patricks hill there is no issues with the place and a lovely area to live and very safe as its 2 min walk from the city

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 910 ✭✭✭BlinkingLights

Should be fine. Cork City Centre is generally pretty safe and the residential areas on the edges of the city centre are old Victorian upmarket stuff. It's quite unlike Dublin in that regard.

I would definitely cover the bike at night if it's being left out on the street. Preferably locked up securely also.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,007 ✭✭✭opus

Should be fine. Cork City Centre is generally pretty safe and the residential areas on the edges of the city centre are old Victorian upmarket stuff. It's quite unlike Dublin in that regard.

+1 I walk around it a fair bit at night & have never had a problem. Would be careful with the bike though as you could be unlucky.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭Lia_lia

Very safe up there. But yes, cover the bike. Motorbike theft does happen in the city.

• Registered Users Posts: 949 ✭✭✭Tom44

Its as safe as anywhere with a parked bike.
    So I wouldn't worry.
    Park on.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 879 ✭✭✭flo8s967qjh0nd

No, it's pretty much a killing field.

:) Everywhere in Cork City is very safe. Take usual, sensible precautions and you'll be absolutely fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,442 ✭✭✭goochy

yes cork city is very safe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 910 ✭✭✭BlinkingLights

Cork's quite a different layout to Dublin - the city centre is a lot more compact and much more 'lived-in'. You'll find pretty nice residential areas actually spill into the city centre, whereas in Dublin, there's been a long history of socially deprived city centre areas contrasting with upmarket inner suburbs.

I'm not slagging off Dublin in saying that, it has a really nice vibe too, but I just think in general Cork doesn't have quite the same level of social problems all present and visible right in the middle of the city.

In some ways, Cork's a lot more like a continental city in the sense that it's very tightly packed into a city centre that's largely on an island between two branches of a river. It's got quite dense concentrations of shops, restaurants, cafes and people really use the city centre as a social space and a shopping space. You'll kind of find people use any boardwalk / wide space as outdoor space. It's a fairly big contrast to Dublin, for example you'd see the quite as much use of terraces on O'Connell Street whereas you'll see people sitting outside Le Chateaux and so on on Patrick's Street. Or, people sitting having a beer chilling out on the boardwalks on the Liffey would be really difficult, whereas the Lee's counterparts can turn into a really pleasant beer-garden vibe if the weather's nice - bars/cafes/restaurants like the Electric spill out onto the boardwalk area and people actually have lunch and use them more like the way Dubliners might use Stephen's Green.

Take normal precautions like don't walk down dark alleyways on your own at 2am, park your bike somewhere that's visible and in public view, not down a dark side street you're unfamiliar with. It's generally very safe, but you still need to be fairly sensible about normal things.

The only general antisocial behaviour you might encounter is loud, messy, youngish drunken revellers on a Friday/Sat (sometimes Thurs) night. They're more just loud and messy than dangerous. Other than that it's fairly sane.

The main security concern you're likely to have on Patrick's Hill is a physical one : it's VERY steep. Also it has very strange pavement layouts and it's super-easy to ding your car on the kerbs while parking.

Advertisement