Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Your Ideal Media Centre/ Set top Box

• 12-05-2017 10:30am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,021 ✭✭✭✭

If you were to be involved in specifying the capabilities of a new set op box / media centre what would be your 'must-have' requirements?

Let's give the box a generous size, without overdoing it ..... everything to fit into a box of comparable size to a Sky+HD box, so regular PC sized boxes are out.

My own requirements would start with all hardware to be supported in Linux and then

Hardware
    two DVB-T/2 tuners
    four DVB-S/2 tuners (maybe Unicable II with virtual tuners)
    2 x 1 G/b NICs.
    One 2.5" SATA HDD slot

Software
    Based on Linux and preferably Open Source
    Backend management software for Live TV and PVR functions, including storage and management of stored media.
    Backend also with capabilities for IPTV.
    Capable of downloading and or torrenting etc.
    Transcoding of media if necessary.
    Stripping of commercials from stored media (preferably during recording)
    All functions of backend available to client devices such as Tablets, smart TVs, PCs etc, on the LAN.
    All software, including the OS, to be easy to upgrade or change.

Maybe a CI slot for decryption card.

Two versions .... one a server with a built in 'client device' with 4K capability and HDMI output, CEC compliant, and one without, to act only as a server to multiple client devices.

What else would your ideal device have?
    There are capabilities above that I would not use today, but others would.
    I am sure there are other things I have not remembered which could be included.
    It would be interesting to know what others would require of their 'ideal media box'.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

You've got an awful lot to cram into something the size of a sky+ HD box there.

I'd rather a central hub to Store/Manage Media and have clients at the TVs connect to it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,021 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

You've got an awful lot to cram into something the size of a sky+ HD box there.

I'd rather a central hub to Store/Manage Media and have clients at the TVs connect to it.

:D Heck I was being generous! That Sky box is huge! :D

Advertisement