Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clearing Weeds on Paving

Options
  • 12-05-2017 10:58am
    Registered Users Posts: 22

I am planning on clearing the front and back paving and stone area of a recently acquired property. I have absolutely no experience in tackling this type of job and hoped that someone can advise on the easiest and least time consuming to clear these areas.

Firstly, the back is very overgrown (Pic1) with many of these tall weeds which you can see. These appear to quite deeply embedded in between the slabs. What would be easiest way to clear these? Could I spray them with something to kill them and then apply a power washer to clean the stone?
    Also, the small trees in the background have turned a strange colour and appear to be dead. Would this be a correct statement and if so, would I be better off removing them?

Secondly, there is a water feature (small pond) out the back which I do not need but at the same time, it is doing no harm to me. Is there any easy solution to make this look more tidy or even to fill it in as opposed to knocking the surrounding wall and filling with concrete?

Finally, would appreciate some advise on the easiest way to clear the front of the house (Pic3). Would weed killer followed by power washer do the trick?

All advice very welcome.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,404 ✭✭✭✭sKeith

Easiest way is to hire a gutter cleaner and a gardener.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,404 ✭✭✭✭sKeith

I have similar garden, I though i was getting a concrete jungle, but the plants seem to find a way. Would love to salt the whole place, but afraid salt would venture out of my property and damage other peoples property, so have not done that, yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,445 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Use Pathclear on the paving, take care not to get it on the shrubs. The tall shrub looks dead (conifer), remove it. The two dark red bushes appear to be red pittosporum, the new leaves grow bright green then turn dark red. All those thin tall shrubs are, I think, willow. Weedkiller them and leave for a couple of weeks before pulling them out.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 kf1

Once I use pathclear and power hose the area then presumably this will suffice? i.e no need to dig into the roots of the taller scrubs

• Registered Users Posts: 1,351 ✭✭✭Cloudio9

I'd buy a 5 litre bottle of Roundup and a knapsack sprayer. https://www.agridirect.ie/product/roundup-biactive-

The Roundup will last you years and with the cobble you're going to be spraying it at least twice a year. The knapsack sprayer will make it quick to apply.

Then I'd spray everything you want to kill, wait 3 weeks and remove the dead stuff and powerhouse the drive.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

I had a similar set up in previous house. I made the mistake for years of buying weed killer from woodies etc. It was a disaster

As poster above mentions get the proper round up and spray the area. If I was you I would invest in something like the following: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Solo-Piston-Manual-Pressure-Sprayers/dp/B00ESW2KM2/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1494589428&sr=8-1&keywords=solo+5l

Even if you spray this year expect it to come back next year so if you have proper equipment now it will save you in long term.

I bought the 10ltr version but I have 1 acre to cover now.

Get someone also in to clean out gutter or you could have issues longer term.

I would leave the pond, clean it out maybe. After a few weeks all the weeds will be dead. You could buy your own washer but in reality you will need a proper petrol one for the first wash so maybe try and get someone in. Price around.

Once everything is cleaned with washer then look at the pond

• Registered Users Posts: 22 kf1

All feedback very helpful, many thanks

Advertisement