Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking for loop walks

• 12-05-2017 11:57am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭

Getting back into walking and would love to find more loop walks around Limerick for a bit of variety. Ideally 5-10km.

Currently I know of the lovely loop walk through Glenstal Abbey. There's also the Clare Glens loop (a bit too strenuous for me yet) and the loop walk in O'Brien's Bridge. Also if you do the three bridges walk in town and divert out the Condell Road and cross onto the NCR then that's 5km.

Anyone know of other loop walks, perhaps closer to town? UL for instance? Or linear walks that would amount to 5-10km in total there and back?

Has to be safe for a sole lady walker. :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,670 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

I don't know where you are starting from, but you could do the UL Cyclepath walk and come back along the roads.

If you started the walk in Corbally (Irish Estates) and walked to UL and back, it would be about 8km I think, and it's a lovely path.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭A2LUE42

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,375 ✭✭✭Sin City

Ill second the Corbally to UL canal walk is a lovely walk
    8 KM to there and back . Nice scenery and always plenty of others walking or cycling

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,903 ✭✭✭zulutango

If you're adventurous, there's a gap in the wall near the Grove Island roundabout. If you go through you'll see a path that follows the bank of the Abbey River initially, you then cross the train tracks (be careful here), and keep going and it takes you up to the Corbally Baths. From there follow the 'red path' back towards the entrance to St. Munchin's college. You can then follow the new cycle path towards the park canal and come back into town that way. I think it's only a matter of time before this route is upgraded into something really impressive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,670 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

zulutango wrote: »
    If you're adventurous, there's a gap in the wall near the Grove Island roundabout. If you go through you'll see a path that follows the bank of the Abbey River initially, you then cross the train tracks (be careful here), and keep going and it takes you up to the Corbally Baths.
    Where exactly does it bring you out? At the bottom of the Mill Road, where the ducks and swans are?

• Advertisement

osarusan wrote: »
    Where exactly does it bring you out? At the bottom of the Mill Road, where the ducks and swans are?

Here's a quick sketch. The path is broken up and muddy in places but it's quite walkable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,337 ✭✭✭✭phog

Walk the boardwalk around the river, continue out Westfields and on towards Coonagh. The end is not really a loop walk though.

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭mart 23

Here's a quick sketch. The path is broken up and muddy in places but it's quite walkable.

Hi

Just curious but does anyone know the name of the bank along the Abbey river that brings you to Goosers corner

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,929 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

mart 23 wrote: »
    Hi

Just curious but does anyone know the name of the bank along the Abbey river that brings you to Goosers corner

Salmonweir Bank if it's one by Grove Island roundabout that brings you up to the metal bridge you are talking about.

It's a pity the Island Bank will remain the way it is for another number of years before any work is done on fixing it back up again.

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭mart 23

Salmonweir Bank if it's one by Grove Island roundabout that brings you up to the metal bridge you are talking about.

It's a pity the Island Bank will remain the way it is for another number of years before any work is done on fixing it back up again.

Yes your correct I had completely forgotten the name . I remember we used to cut tress along that bank when younger for the May night bonfire. Thanks for the name It would be great if the bank was upgraded .

• Advertisement

I think if a bit of noise is made about it then we could get the ball rolling.

What do people think of having a path such as the one that goes from Corbally to UL on the route I've shown above? I think it would be the envy of cities all over Ireland and further afield if it was done.

What do people think of having a path such as the one that goes from Corbally to UL on the route I've shown above? I think it would be the envy of cities all over Ireland and further afield if it was done.

Can't see the council doing anything about it but I'm sure if you got in touch with Limerick Civic Trust they'd know if there's plans to possibly do anything with it and if you put the idea to them it might be something for them to put forward to the council.

Said it for awhile now that we could have a great river walkway going from Arthur's Quay park all the way to the UL. With the Island Bank out of action for the foreseeable future I can't see it happening now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 514 ✭✭✭Brian Lighthouse

Great walk ZuluTango,

The Civic Trust were cleaning up the near Corbally baths last week, so perhaps they might continue down towards the railway line. I was chatting with them but never asked about that. The old Pillbox is all shiny now. I'll ask them on Monday when I'm out that way, if they're still out there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 165 ✭✭riverrocked

I did that Corbally walk over the railway track recently. It is very doable in single file, I don't think it is suitable for buggies or small children. Also, there was an odd thing that struck me the benches all face away from the river instead of towards it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 550 ✭✭✭lockman

If you're adventurous, there's a gap in the wall near the Grove Island roundabout. If you go through you'll see a path that follows the bank of the Abbey River initially, you then cross the train tracks (be careful here), and keep going and it takes you up to the Corbally Baths. From there follow the 'red path' back towards the entrance to St. Munchin's college. You can then follow the new cycle path towards the park canal and come back into town that way. I think it's only a matter of time before this route is upgraded into something really impressive.

Been a few years since I have walked that route but thanks for reminding me of its existence. There is some fantastic scenery along that route.

I did that Corbally walk over the railway track recently. It is very doable in single file, I don't think it is suitable for buggies or small children. Also, there was an odd thing that struck me the benches all face away from the river instead of towards it.

Yeah, definitely not suitable for buggies! I think the benches face away from the river because the city dump used to be just across the river and it was not something you'd want to look at!

mart 23 wrote: »
    Yes your correct I had completely forgotten the name . I remember we used to cut tress along that bank when younger for the May night bonfire. Thanks for the name It would be great if the bank was upgraded .

Yeah had to ask someone what it was actually called as I only know it as the Sandway Bank but did remember older fishermen calling it by a different name which was Salmonweir Bank.
    Yeah, definitely not suitable for buggies! I think the benches face away from the river because the city dump used to be just across the river and it was not something you'd want to look at!

Are these benches on the Sandway Bank or do you need to walk down to the tracks and cross over? Havent been out that way in about two years and was no benches along the grassy bank.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭chicorytip

Currently considering a move to Limerick for work and torn between renting and buying. I already have a good idea of the pros/cons of Limerick city center versus little further out (castletroy etc).

zulutango wrote:

An unsafe route for a lone female. It's mostly overgrown, quite treacherous underfoot in places and a haunt for drunks, drug addicts and (in summertime) teenage gangs looking for trouble.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

chicorytip wrote:
    An unsafe route for a lone female. It's mostly overgrown, quite treacherous underfoot in places and a haunt for drunks, drug addicts and (in summertime) teenage gangs looking for trouble.

Why is it not safe for a lone female????

• Registered Users Posts: 1,316 ✭✭✭pigtown

Did anyone go to those CityEngage events about how the city interacts with the river? I wonder is it too late to submit this to the final report?

• Advertisement

chicorytip wrote: »

Sounds like the way to the witch's house.

Sounds like the way to the witch's house.

Well then its definitely not safe for lone men who could be lured into her trap

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭chicorytip

panda100 wrote:
    Why is it not safe for a lone female????

For the reasons I outlined in my post.

For the reasons I outlined in my post.
    Nope still don't see why you are singling out women
    It's mostly overgrown,
    A hazard for men, women, cat or dog, everyone really
    quite treacherous underfoot in places
    Once again, unless you think women go walking in high heels I don't see why this is a particular risk to women? Is it their delicate feet you are worried about?
    and a haunt for drunks, drug addicts and (in summertime) teenage gangs looking for trouble.
    Yes again, if there is a risk here, it is to all and not just women.

I regularly go running in the very early morning, in the dark, by myself, as a lone female, along the UL pathway or up to Cratloe (another beautiful part of our country that women were cautioned against going for years!) and never had any issues whatsoever.

panda100 wrote: »
    I regularly go running in the very early morning, in the dark, by myself, as a lone female,

Ah here! Whoever owns you is just pure negligent.

panda100 wrote: »
    Nope still don't see why you are singling out women

Maybe because the OP is sole lady walker and asked that it be safe for someone like her walking on her own.

Other than the unsavoury characters you could encounter out the sandway bank it's an enjoyable walk and wouldn't call the walking conditions as treacherous OP.

Ah here! Whoever owns you is just pure negligent.

:P Unless your Tom Hardy ain't nobody owns me

Maybe because the OP is sole lady walker and asked that it be safe for someone like her walking on her own.

Fair enough, I missed that in the OP. I just can't stand the unnecessary scaremongering of women that happens in these situations.

pigtown wrote: »
    Did anyone go to those CityEngage events about how the city interacts with the river? I wonder is it too late to submit this to the final report?

Yes, I went to a few of them. No, it's not too late. It's an open and fairly fledgling process. I mentioned the possibility of developing the loop walk and they are open to it. Bizarrely not that many people knew about it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,337 ✭✭✭✭phog

From Limerick Civic Trust on Facebook
    Calling all walkers, joggers, cyclists and outdoor enthusiasts!
    A camera crew will be capturing some of our work tomorrow (Wednesday 24 May). We would welcome your help in bringing some of the civic amenities to life! We'll be at Mill Road & Red Path, Corbally around 3pm - 3.30pm and at the Canal Bank from 4pm to 4.30pm. And the weather looks great! #CivicPrideinAction

• Advertisement
Advertisement