Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electric toy from the US - Step down transformer or wall wart.

Options
  • 12-05-2017 1:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,901 ✭✭✭

My son got a toy from the US for his birthday, the little transformer that came with it is 120v only, should I get a step down transformer or replace the wall wart transformer that came with it.

Input is 120v ~ 60Hz 0.6a
    Output 14v 1200Ma

Pic of wall wart attached also:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Much tidier and I believe more efficient to get a 240 ->14v transformer to match it.

In some less common cases the 50/60Hz delta will cause unexpected behaviour such as timing issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,901 ✭✭✭Vexorg

Thanks

Will look for a 240 to 14v transformer to suit.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

Vexorg wrote:
    Will looks for a 240 to 14v transformer to suit.

Amazon have them for about 15 euro.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,317 ✭✭✭Antenna

Vexorg wrote: »
    Input is 120v ~ 60Hz 0.6a
    Output 14v 1200Ma

Important to mention the output is DC (not AC)

the powersupply indicates the output plug's inner is +, and outer is - (negative), ensure replacement polarity is not the other way round, or you might cause destruction!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,451 ✭✭✭cml387

It's certainly neater to get a 240V to 14V.
    The other variable is the dc connector that will go into the toy, they come in an annoying number of diameters and lengths.
    Maybe look out for one that comes with a selection of connectors.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,461 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

cml387 wrote: »
    It's certainly neater to get a 240V to 14V.
    The other variable is the dc connector that will go into the toy, they come in an annoying number of diameters and lengths.
    Maybe look out for one that comes with a selection of connectors.

+1 the transformers that come with multiple DC connectors can usually output different voltages (sliding switch offering e.g. 3/6/9/12V) ) and you can sometimes flip the output polarity so they are very versatile.

Buying one from Amazon or wherever, you can't be sure the connector will be the right size unless it states the exact diameter of the DC connector.

Thanks guys, I have not been able to find a 14v output, closest I found was a one with different voltages up to 13.5v, which would probably do but not clear if the selection of connector tips would match what I have, so it looks like a 240v to 110v step down transformer, would eliminate the possibility of not getting the correct dc connector.

These step down transformers come in 50, 100 and 300 watt etc. How would I determine adequate wattage?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,461 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Vexorg wrote: »
    These step down transformers come in 50, 100 and 300 watt etc. How would I determine adequate wattage?

Voltage X Current (amps) = Power (watts)

The existing transformer outputs 14V and 1,200 mA (=1.2A) meaning the toy is consuming max. 17 watts so the 50W transformer will do the job with plenty of headroom.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,150 ✭✭✭kumate_champ07

is it a transformer based unregulated power supply? what is the toy? 14vdc is very uncommon

• Registered Users Posts: 8,451 ✭✭✭cml387

14.4 volts is the standard charger for power tools, so it's not uncommon.

• Advertisement

It is a plastic moulding toy (link)

Advertisement