Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Need Advice Please, I'm 18

2»

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭pilly

jordanr23 wrote:
    I guess so yeah, but he has a very funny way of showing it, thank you

Men can be funny in how they show love and if they're from a very old fashioned background it may not have been shown to them.

I also think you're letting your mother away with a lot here. She may have 5 other kids but that doesn't mean she's not responsible for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 jordanr23

That's true, do you think I should just say she's partly responsible for looking after me til after the exams and just kind of say I need to stay with her?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭pilly

jordanr23 wrote:
    That's true, do you think I should just say she's partly responsible for looking after me til after the exams and just kind of say I need to stay with her?

Yes I don't see why not. Or if she hasn't got room then she should be providing you with money for bus fare, lunches etc.

Yeah, I guess that's true,thank you

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭njs030

jordanr23 wrote: »

Your mother is responsible for you there's no partly about it.
    You need somewhere to sleep and be safe, not just until your exams are over but until you have somewhere to go.

She can apply for child benefit to be transferred to her that's €135 a month and you can help out when you start back to work I'm sure?

Yeah that would help and wouldn't make me feel like a burden, are you sure she can apply for that though?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭cbyrd

She can apply for child benefit to be transferred to her that's €135 a month and you can help out when you start back to work I'm sure?

Child benefit stops the month after a child turns 18. There's been a change in recent years.

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭DoctorBoo

I am so sorry that this has happened to you at such a critical time in your life. It's really bad timing. I agree with the other posters who say you need a short - term plan to get you through the LC. You can make longer term arrangements afterwards.
    I don't have much to add to what the others have advised you, but I wanted to say that I think you are coping very well with a very difficult situation. Well done on keeping a cool head, and not panicking. If you can keep your focus through the Leaving, it will stand to you for many years. Stay strong if you can.

I agree, thanks for the support!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭njs030

cbyrd wrote: »
    Child benefit stops the month after a child turns 18. There's been a change in recent years.

Oh god I thought it was older if they stayed in education, thanks for clarifying.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

I do believe your story because I'm a teacher and have seen similar in several schools. As you pointed out the cutoff of welfare payments is often a reason for a student to end up in this situation. Don't mind people that question the truth of your story, not all parents act in normal manner, not all families are normal. Providing you have a roof over your head for the weekend on Monday morning you need to approach your counsellor, home school liaison teacher or management and voice your concern regarding exams. There is no shame in telling anyone your situation, people will want to help. Accept help that is offered and worry about repaying debts when you can but that isn't within your control at the moment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,055 ✭✭✭Fakediamond

Go to your local authority, you are homeless now and they have to house you, they might pay for a B&B for a few weeks. Bring an adult or get your school principal to phone or your behalf. Once you have an address, you should be eligible for an emergency payment from a Community Welfare Officer, or whatever they're called now. Call to your local Youth Service, they can help you to negotiate your way around the system.

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭loup

No further advice only to wish you luck in the exams and hope you mum has sorted something for you.

Advertisement