Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Application form for a 2nd shotgun

Options
  • 12-05-2017 2:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭

I already have a licence for an u/o and just bought a semi auto which I must now get a licence for and I assume that to do so I must submit a Form FCA1 to the Gardaí . So I have filled out the form FCA1 (as amended 2012)but I still have the following queries and would appreciate if anyone on here, who knows the ins and outs of applying for a 2nd shotgun , can guide me do that I don't make a balls of it ....

- Section 2.5 of the form (Proof of Competence) says ''If this is a first time application , please provide proof of your competence in the possession, use and carriage of firearms. '' . I did do an NARGC proficiency course several years ago and at that time gave my local garda station a copy of the certificate back when I was applying for a licence for my existing shotgun. My question is , it is necessary that I again enclose a copy of the proficiency certificate with my application for the 2nd shotgun or do I just ignore Section 2.5 as I already am licenced for another shotgun ?

- When I applied for the licence for my existing shotgun I filled in section 5.2 regarding Land Occupier Details and supplied the Gardaí with written permission from 2 local landowners allowing me to shoot their lands. Since then I have joined the local gun club but I cannot see any section in the FCA1 form where I can put in the name and pulse number of the gun club.

It is sufficient that I just enclose a covering letter with the form giving the details and pulse number of the gun club plus a copy of my gun club membership card?

- I cannot see any section in the FCA1 form where I can request x amount of cartridges. The licence for my existing gun allows me 500 cartridges . Should I just ask in the covering letter with the application for a licence for the new gun , for 500 cartridges to be put on that licence also ?

Sorry for bothering ye lads with this but I have to make my application through a local rural garda station which is only manned part time . It's next to impossible to get to speak to the responsible garda on the phone and I know from past experience that when I am ready to submit the form it usually takes at least a week to get an appointment to meet him .

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,557 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

- Section 2.5 of the form (Proof of Competence) says ''If this is a first time application , please provide proof of your competence in the possession, use and carriage of firearms. '' . I did do an NARGC proficiency course several years ago and at that time gave my local garda station a copy of the certificate back when I was applying for a licence for my existing shotgun. My question is , it is necessary that I again enclose a copy of the proficiency certificate with my application for the 2nd shotgun or do I just ignore Section 2.5 as I already am licenced for another shotgun ?
    Ignore it. Second license and course already done means you are competent.
    - When I applied for the licence for my existing shotgun I filled in section 5.2 regarding Land Occupier Details and supplied the Gardaí with written permission from 2 local landowners allowing me to shoot their lands. Since then I have joined the local gun club but I cannot see any section in the FCA1 form where I can put in the name and pulse number of the gun club.
    Section 5.2 should NOT be filled in as it's for a limited certificate. This means you may only license a shotgun and only use it on the lands nominated on the section. Not outside of those lands. If you did not know this and use the shotgun elsewhere i'd amend or get a new license without the limitation on it.

However if a limited certificate was what you sought then you're good to go.

If you want the second shotgun for use in all/any lands you have permission on then skip this section.
    It is sufficient that I just enclose a covering letter with the form giving the details and pulse number of the gun club plus a copy of my gun club membership card?
    Yes.
    - I cannot see any section in the FCA1 form where I can request x amount of cartridges. The licence for my existing gun allows me 500 cartridges . Should I just ask in the covering letter with the application for a licence for the new gun , for 500 cartridges to be put on that licence also ?
    Section 4.1

Second line asks for the number of rounds required/wanted.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭brianfrancis45

Thanks Cass - much appreciated.

Just found the page with section 4.1 on the floor - no wonder I couldn't see any section where I could put in the number of shells :o

Can't wait to pick up the Benelli M2 and returning the favour to some local landowners by doing some pigeon and crow control for them.

Advertisement