Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

When is a garage, not a garage?

• 12-05-2017 3:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 36

Looking at buying a house in Co. Galway. The garage has been converted to residential use, bathroom and kitchen. But there is no planning for residential, it should only be a garage.
    So the question; when is a garage, not a garage. We could remove the kitchen, would that then abide by the planning rules and not be residential?
    I am sure this happens all the time.
    Thanks for any replies

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 41,942 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

maybe the conversion was exempt from planning?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 692 ✭✭✭jmBuildExt

as far as i know an existing garage can be converted to living space without planning permission.
    http://www.dublincity.ie/main-menu-services-planning/frequently-asked-questions-planning#Can I convert my garage to living accommodation without permission?

• Registered Users Posts: 36 SuperMacs

Hi. The conversion is not allowed by planning. That is understood.
    Banks will not allow a mortgage on any building that does not have correct planning. Therefore to comply with the original planning, the garage/apartment needs to be just a garage again.
    So the query is; when is a garage, not a garage?
    What modifications to the apartment will make it a garage in the eyes of the planning people?
    Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,352 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

SuperMacs wrote:
    Hi. The conversion is not allowed by planning. That is understood. Banks will not allow a mortgage on any building that does not have correct planning. Therefore to comply with the original planning, the garage/apartment needs to be just a garage again. So the query is; when is a garage, not a garage? What modifications to the apartment will make it a garage in the eyes of the planning people? Thanks

Do you mean it's a standalone garage, I.e. not attached to the house?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,977 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Sounds like the garage is out in its own. The exemptions don't cover the conversion of this.

My own opinion would be that the bathroom and any fixtures and fittings would need to be removed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36 SuperMacs

Yes. Correct. It is a stand alone garage which the owner converted into an apartment without planning.
    For a bank to allow a mortgage all planning has to be correct to the letter. And this apartment/garage will get them upset.
    They comply with the original planning this apartment has to be a garage again.
    But from a legal/planning viewpoint, what is the difference between a garage and an apartment? 
    No kitchen. No toilet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,249 ✭✭✭Cordell

You can ask them planning people, but if I would have to guess then it is the ability to stick a car in it and out of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 808 ✭✭✭Angry bird

Not for living in, or for the housing of animals, and ancillary use to the dwelling, is basically the planning definition of a garage.

Advertisement