Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Which Sky box is best for free-to-air

Options
  • 12-05-2017 3:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭

I just got Sky Q in and was going to use my old Sky+ box for free to air with 2 cables running from the new hybrid LNB. I have not all the hookups done yet. I heard that the Sky+ box will only pick up a 2 or 3 channels or something including BBC & ITV. I heard that the old sky silver box was the best for free to air.

Can someone give me the details of the best sky box to use for free to air and I can see if someone has one available?

Thanks!
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,548 ✭✭✭Gerry Wicklow

If you are going to the bother of buying a second box, do yourself a big favour and invest in a FreeSat box. With auto tuning, recording ability, neatness of the EPG compared to a hobbled Sky box etc etc you will thank yourself in the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭boardtc

Sounds like excellent advice, thank you! So it seems like I can plug the coax from the sky dish into such a box. Having EPG & recording would be great for sure. Any recommendations on a solid not breaking the bank box to look for please?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,548 ✭✭✭Gerry Wicklow

The FreeSat site will give you some ideas, then Google for local prices/dealers. FreeSat boxes plug directly into existing ex-Sky dishes.

Thanks, those Humax boxes outside my budget but good to know options to finding a free\cheap old sky box

• Registered Users Posts: 14,011 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

boardtc wrote: »
    I just got Sky Q in and was going to use my old Sky+ box for free to air with 2 cables running from the new hybrid LNB. I have not all the hookups done yet. I heard that the Sky+ box will only pick up a 2 or 3 channels or something including BBC & ITV. I heard that the old sky silver box was the best for free to air.

Can someone give me the details of the best sky box to use for free to air and I can see if someone has one available?

Thanks!

None of the Sky boxes give a reasonable user experience without a subscription.

Get almost anything else for a better user experience.

A Freesat box is probably best for Satellite.

My preference would be a combo box like an Ariva with an aerial feed for the Saorview channels in addition to the FTA satellite channels. It is only single tuner but at least I don't feel like breaking something when I use it!

As you mention budget maybe you will find something used other than a Sky box that will suit you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭SPAWKER

boardtc wrote: »
    Thanks, those Humax boxes outside my budget but good to know options to finding a free\cheap old sky box

You'll get a good secondhand Humax on fleabay for around the £50 mark

• Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭decor58

boardtc wrote:

The original boxes (pace etc) are good as fta receivers because without a subscription card they revert to a uk setting ie BBC1 on 101 etc, they have the epg, auto updates, red button. Your Sky + should do the same, down side is they are not hd and the hum from the hdd which can't be used without a sub.

I've been doing my research leading on from the advice supplied here.

I've talked to people who generally have not had a great experience with the Enigma EPG.

I have learned that Sony re-supply an EPG that works well on their smart TVs.

An idea I'd like to investigate is picking up a second hand Sony TV (<=32") which has inputs for satellite and terrestrial and supplied an EPG. Does anyone know the oldest Sony model (therefore cheaper 2nd hand) which meets these criteria?

Advertisement