Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

WI data protecting boat registry

• 12-05-2017 5:27pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 952 ✭✭✭

Just got a random text from Waterways Ireland about my boat, confirming the Shannon nav number by sending it my email address, has anyone else just got this?

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,337 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

Yep I got one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 282 ✭✭breakemall

Same here, surprised it came by text and not e-mail but had the correct number etc. so must be legit? The funny thing is when I responded, it failed...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 952 ✭✭✭hytrogen

breakemall wrote:
    Same here, surprised it came by text and not e-mail but had the correct number etc. so must be legit? The funny thing is when I responded, it failed...
    Yeah surprised also, maybe spam filters blocked them out before?
    I'll try it now and see

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,337 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

Taken from IWAI site.

Got some messages late last evening from WI to confirm that these text messages are from them and they are legit.

I quote:

".......please be aware that WI are carrying out a data protection exercise on the boat register at present as required by legislation. Your members can expect to be contacted by text to their mobile phone quoting their boat registration number and asking for verification that they still own this craft......"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 952 ✭✭✭hytrogen

I have a sneaking suspicion there will be a lot of boats on auction by autumn.. I just got a sticker even though I had arranged with the hotel to stay more than the 5days for just this week.. *gets the cheque book warmed up

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭irishejit

I recieved one of these as well.....very badly worded IMO, they are 'data protecting' the register....surely the register should already be data protected!

Advertisement