Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Account closed by the bank suddenly

Options
  • 12-05-2017 7:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭

I became overdrawn on a Bank of Ireland account to the tune of 3.84 euro on the 24th of March last and got one notice to that effect about 2 weeks ago. I intended to pay, this obviously very small sum, as soon as I could but I now find that although I have now paid the money my account has aready been closed. 

I am wondering is this not very sudden and is there any quick way of reopening this account?

http://www.orwellianireland.com

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,367 ✭✭✭Bank of Ireland: Elaine

Good Morning brianhere, 

Thank you for getting in touch with us here. 

Due to the specific nature of your query it would be best to call Bank of Ireland Direct on 0818 365 365 / +35314044000 where a representative will be happy to check this for you. Regrettably, as we don't have account access here we would be unable to confirm the exact reason for this. 

For details of this teams opening hours please see here

Thanks, 
    Elaine

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭brianhere

Yes many thanks. I rang them alright and they did agree that the account seemed to have been closed rather quickly, they just didn't know why. I received one letter on the 3rd of April about the overdraft, and that was the only notice I got.

Anyway they say it is closed and there is nothing they can do about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,367 ✭✭✭Bank of Ireland: Elaine

I'm sorry to hear this brianhere, 

Should you wish to receive further information on the reason why the account was closed you can contact your local Bank of Ireland branch. 

Thanks again for getting in touch, 
    Elaine 

Yes I contacted the local branch already, they don't know any more I am afraid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭Bank of Ireland: Tara

brianhere wrote: »
    Yes I contacted the local branch already, they don't know any more I am afraid.
    Hi brianhere,

It's not BOI policy to close accounts without a customer first being notified and so we would like to have this investigated further.  Can you please send us a private message here with your full name, the branch you opened your account with and your contact phone number?

Thanks
    Tara

• Advertisement

Yes I will do that then, many thanks.

To clarify: the notice I received on the 3rd of April does ask me do I wish to keep the account open, and threatens to close it otherwise, I just didn't think the wheels of bank bureaucracy would move so fast on the back of a demand for 3.84 euro! And that is the only notice of any description that I got.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭Bank of Ireland: Tara

Yes I will do that then, many thanks.

To clarify: the notice I received on the 3rd of April does ask me do I wish to keep the account open, and threatens to close it otherwise, I just didn't think the wheels of bank bureaucracy would move so fast on the back of a demand for 3.84 euro! And that is the only notice of any description that I got.
    Hi brianhere,

Thanks for the clarification. As you did receive written advise of possible account closure and didn't make contact with us, the account closure proceeded. In this case, it would not be possible to re-open the account. You can request to open a new account here.

We've received your private message and if you would still like us to ask the branch to get in touch about this, please let us know.

Thanks
    Tara

I still think it was rather sudden, when I had held the account for quite a few years and certainly was never overdrawn before.

Also, as I pointed out in the PM, I was in contact with the bank even up to April this year with respect to a particular issue, so it wasn't dormant in that sense.

Anyway I was just hoping you might be able to help on that issue. This is where I received a cheque drawn on a US bank in the middle of last year and endeavoured to lodge the cheque into my account from that time on without success. As far as I know the cheque neither bounced, nor found to be defective in any way, but still was not cashed. The last thing I was told, verbally, was that the US bank intended to pay the money, they just didn't say when. I am now in the unfortunate position that if the money is paid down that I wouldn't be able to retrieve it or find out about it, because I no longer have the account that the money was to be cashed into.

In any case I was hoping you could forward me a copy of the correspondence between the US bank and the Bank of Ireland with respect to the cheque because in the absence of seeing that correspondence I don't fully understand what is going on. I tried through the branch  to get copies of this correspondence but I was told it was confidential between the two banks. I don't think that makes much sense, it is obviously in reference to money owed to me, so I was hoping you might be able to double check that.

Many thanks anyway for responding to my queries.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 735 ✭✭✭Bank of Ireland: Nicola

I still think it was rather sudden, when I had held the account for quite a few years and certainly was never overdrawn before.

Also, as I pointed out in the PM, I was in contact with the bank even up to April this year with respect to a particular issue, so it wasn't dormant in that sense.

Anyway I was just hoping you might be able to help on that issue. This is where I received a cheque drawn on a US bank in the middle of last year and endeavoured to lodge the cheque into my account from that time on without success. As far as I know the cheque neither bounced, nor found to be defective in any way, but still was not cashed. The last thing I was told, verbally, was that the US bank intended to pay the money, they just didn't say when. I am now in the unfortunate position that if the money is paid down that I wouldn't be able to retrieve it or find out about it, because I no longer have the account that the money was to be cashed into.

In any case I was hoping you could forward me a copy of the correspondence between the US bank and the Bank of Ireland with respect to the cheque because in the absence of seeing that correspondence I don't fully understand what is going on. I tried through the branch  to get copies of this correspondence but I was told it was confidential between the two banks. I don't think that makes much sense, it is obviously in reference to money owed to me, so I was hoping you might be able to double check that.

Many thanks anyway for responding to my queries.
    Hi Brian, I'll follow up on this with your branch in relation to the US cheque.

Thanks
    Nicola

So did you hear back from them or?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 991 ✭✭✭Bank of Ireland: Darren

Hi brianhere,

Thanks for contacting us. We were in touch with your branch last week in relation to this and we asked for them to call you directly to discuss this. I will follow up with them here now.

Thanks again,
    Darren.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 735 ✭✭✭Bank of Ireland: Nicola

Hi brianhere, sorry for the delay getting back to you.

I can confirm that in this case the US cheque would be rejected as the account that you lodged it to has since been closed. It would be best to contact the person who wrote the cheque to arrange an alternative payment.

Thanks
    Nicola

But its not my fault they closed the account, I don't believe it is possible to arrange an alternative method of payment as the branch is aware. Am I to take it then that the US bank is, at last, about to pay the money and only for the closing of the account would have paid by now?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 453 ✭✭Bank of Ireland: Kareana

Hi brianhere,

Thank you for your post.

We would not have that level of information here. 

Any queries regarding the cheque you will need to contact the US bank.

Thanks

Kareana

Advertisement