Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What's your wish list.....

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Wibbs wrote: »
    As for a wish list. I've been looking for one of these for a very long time and when they come up(very rarely) I keep missing out.
    Further to this I may have spotting something similar, though earlier again.. *crosses fingers* :D

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 993 ✭✭✭Time

BB58 has been ordered and will be here next Monday or Wednesday. They also have a Yachtmaster in stock that they're going to bring out for me to try on. I've considered these before a few times but never scratched the itch so if i like it on the wrist i'll take it too

rolex-yachtmaster-black-dial-18k-everose-gold-rubber-strap-automatic-ladies-watch-268655bksrs.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 8,992 ✭✭✭893bet

Time wrote: »
    BB58 has been ordered and will be here next Monday or Wednesday. They also have a Yachtmaster in stock that they're going to bring out for me to try on. I've considered these before a few times but never scratched the itch so if i like it on the wrist i'll take it too

rolex-yachtmaster-black-dial-18k-everose-gold-rubber-strap-automatic-ladies-watch-268655bksrs.jpg

I really like that model.....but.....it’s basically the same price as a the rose gold Daytona!

How are they gonna manage you trying it on with the restrictions?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

BB58 has been ordered and will be here next Monday or Wednesday.
    Ohhhh. Now I like the look of that T. :)

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,546 ✭✭✭Fitz II

893bet wrote: »
    I really like that model.....but.....it’s basically the same price as a the rose gold Daytona!

How are they gonna manage you trying it on with the restrictions?

Saw people coming out of Weirs today, wouldnt let me in, I wanted to drop off something for the wife to service...but seems appointment only stuff might be happening.

Have to say that if your paying retail on the YM the Rose gold Daytona on oysterflex needs consideration nothing in them pricewise.

I think precious metal Rolex on Rubber is very cool. Here is our friend making the watch difficult to see with italy getting in the way

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,296 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

This is top of my shopping list at the moment, i've been on the lookout for something for a while now and keep coming back to this. I'll give it 3 or 4 months to see if the prices drop another 1K or so, if not i'll buy at the current rate.

Rolex-Yacht-Master-116651.jpg

3 years later it's still on your mind!

All black and rose gold is a really cool combination, works great

Cienciano wrote: »
    3 years later it's still on your mind!

It was meant to be!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,140 ✭✭✭redlead

Thats one s€xy watch all the same. Theres no way you are going in to collect a BB and not leaving without that!

Fitz II wrote: »
    Have to say that if your paying retail on the YM the Rose gold Daytona on oysterflex needs consideration nothing in them pricewise.

Daytona could be next, i keep coming back to the YM in a way i never have with the Daytona. The one i'm going to take a look at is the 37mm too. 40 is a big watch on my wrist. My AP was almost too big and that was 39mm.
    redlead wrote: »
    Thats one s€xy watch all the same. Theres no way you are going in to collect a BB and not leaving without that!

Even worse, they're coming to my house to give me a look at it. Can't beat that for service.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭dinorebel

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,794 ✭✭✭mailforkev

As if by magic, a rose gold Yachtmaster has just popped up on Adverts.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,467 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Tis kinda nice alright :D

• Registered Users Posts: 14,296 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

mailforkev wrote: »
    As if by magic, a rose gold Yachtmaster has just popped up on Adverts.

Paging @time

Pity that doesn't work on boards

• Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭athlone573

544740.jpg

When my next rap album gets released...

https://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.php?490105-FS-Rolex-Rose-Gold-Yacht-Master-116655-BnP

Is there something going on that there is rose gold YMs flying in all directions

athlone573 wrote: »
    When my next rap album gets released...

Skydweller has to be the best value for money Rolex there is, when you look at the functionality against the price you pay.

Skydweller has to be the best value for money Rolex there is, when you look at the functionality against the price you pay.

Skydweller is deadly....just wish it was a bit thinner. Cal 9001 is quite special, and the command bezel is one of those "why didnt they think of it before" inventions.

the command bezel is one of those "why didnt they think of it before" inventions.
    "They" did. :D And somewhat ironically it was invented by the British watchmaker Harwood. He who also invented the first automatic watch.* Something that Rolex laid claim to in their adverts, until a few years later after some legal pressure they backed away from and apologised to Harwood. Rolex being Rolex they actually used this climbdown in their 1950's adverts putting Harwood's face front and centre. Never miss a trick Mr Wilsdorf. :D

1920's Harwood "command bezel"

545219.jpg

Note no crown. You wind/set the hands using the bezel. The dot window at 6 indicates the mode.

*Wristwatch. There had been attempts with pocketwatches, but the mechanisms were unreliable and the fact a watch in the pocket is moved about far less than a watch on the end of an arm meant they were a dead end.

It looks like AP may have borrowed the old waffle dial from them too. Thats actually a really good looking watch.

It looks like AP may have borrowed the old waffle dial from them too. Thats actually a really good looking watch.

Christ man....dont set Wibbs off again :D Nothing is new under the sun.

• Advertisement

Afaik the unique thing about the AP dial is the way it’s made (video here - https://vimeo.com/34222782) rather than it being waffle pattern per se

Christ man....dont set Wibbs off again :D Nothing is new under the sun.

I think you may need to add an extra stage to the watch collectors graph. Wibbs is moving there, Sun Dials only! 🌞

I think you may need to add an extra stage to the watch collectors graph. Wibbs is moving there, Sun Dials only! ��

Defo level 9

544804.jpg

It's a pretty little thing alright RL. Funny enough it's about the first such waffle style dial I can think of at the moment. After metal dials started to be used more than enamel there had been a brief period of experimentation with all sorts of ornate dials.

The big problem, or rather not big is the size of the watch itself. They ran around 30mm's as was the fashion by the 1920's. Tiny by today's standards and actually tiny by the standards of most of the 20th century(save for another miniaturising trend in the 1980's). 20's stuff with very few exceptions are teeny. The first Rolex Oysters were also 30-32mm. The Art Deco rectangular "Tank" watches could be slightly larger, so 20-25mm wide, but 40mm lug to lug(that continued well into the 80's for Tanks. Large were rare). Even in areas where you'd expect bigger would be better and legibility most important, the very first true divers watch the Omega Marine from 32 was just 25x38.

39cf1a_e2815c37d81b4bf19972c14ce738fae5~mv2_d_1450_1450_s_2.webp

Now these particular watches have strong enough values even today, but even then an early Oyster will run around 3-5K(in the 90's more like 5-10k but then the bubble burst), ditto for the Marine, Harwoods if you can find one, *EDIT* 2-3k around 1k. Small change compared to many mid tier luxury new models, or larger more sought after vintage. What does a brand new basic Speedie cost?

That Harwood is a beauty alright and it's mad to think what if. If he and the company had been bigger, or had been bought out by a larger Swiss brand and marketed more widely, how watches looked and functioned might have been quite different. We may have seen the winding setting crown become old hat, the way the pocketwatch crown and the separate key to wind and set did. The only other times the crown changed was with the Accutrons and some later quartz where they were placed on the caseback and of course when digitals came out and crowns vanished entirely on them(mostly). Even the apple watch has a crown. It's a very useful interaction tool.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭hitemfrank

There is a lovely looking Harwood on Chrono24 for 1500 from Germany. Engraved case too.

The engraved case thing was very art deco, though more usually found on American stuff. Again and sadly that German one is 29mmX32mm lug to lug. Teeny.

Chrono24 being Chrono24 it's also too dear. Had a dig around previous auctions on the Bay and elsewhere. Non dealer prices? 1000. Vintage values are increasingly widening between dealer notions and what people are actually willing to pay. For the craic I was looking at Omega Marine Chronometers of the 70's a while back. Dealers are looking between 2.5k to 4.5k for the ones on stronger meds. In auctions? 1-1.5k. Heuer Bunds another one. Dealers look for between 4-7K(for the ones on the illegal meds). Auctions? They're solidly a 3-3.5k watch. Forum sales reflect a similar disparity.

And another gold YM.

https://www.adverts.ie/23038091

Whats going on with all the Gold YM's all of a sudden.?

Whats going on with all the Gold YM's all of a sudden.?

Bubble is bursting. Rolex has sent the secret signal to the rose gold YM owners first clearly.

• Advertisement

Bubble is bursting. Rolex has sent the secret signal to the rose gold YM owners first clearly.

Damn :(

545218.jpg

Advertisement