Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Blown speaker

Options
  • 12-05-2017 10:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 609 ✭✭✭

This is more of a hardware question than a tekkie problem, but I'm not sure where else to post it.
    For several years, I've been using a two-speaker set from an old PC to improve the sound of my motorhome TV. There was a main speaker unit with a bass boost switch, and another speaker unit running from that.
    The main unit was powered by a 240v/9v power supply, but recently I decided to save leisure battery power by switching off the 12v/240v inverter, and chance running the two speakers direct from the 12v battery.
    All was fine for a while (I mean circa 4-5 hours), but then the speaker in the powered unit starting to distort....and finally pack up. The smaller speaker is still working fine though.
    So, was it the increase from 9v to 12v that has caused the problem? If so, why did it take a good few hours to start distorting (rattly bass etc)?

Comments

Advertisement