Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What are ok pints to drink while going through a fitness regime?

• 12-05-2017 10:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭

I've been off the drink 2 months and hitting gym 4/5 days a week. Heading out for few drinks tomorrow night and looking forward to a few pints. Bit of a stupid/newbie question but what are drinks that should be avoided due to calories and what is more ok to drink.

And I know that probably all drinks have empty calories but I'm looking for the best of a bad lot.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,057 ✭✭✭.......

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,494 ✭✭✭✭Victor

....... wrote: »

Pints of gin or vodka might be a bit much.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,840 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

Victor wrote: »

If it's a once off or not a regular occurance then have your pints of whatever you enjoy. It's not going to matter in the grander scheme of things.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

Everything in moderation OP. Have a couple pints you enjoy, you deserve it for your hard work. No point drinking some low calorie sh*t that tastes like piss.

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭wherearewe45

Victor wrote:

Light weight

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,813 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

If your in the gym 4/5 times a week it probably won't matter but generally the lower the alcohol the lower the calories, so smithwicks for example will save you a little bit if you are really planning to drink a lot :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭nhunter100

Most lager beers of 4% abv are about 180 calories. Hitting the gym 4/5 times a week , go mad enjoy yourself. A big Mac meal/drink is roughly 6 pints.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭Eoinbmw

Try avoiding the Kebab shop on the way home is the real advice!!!:P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,937 ✭✭✭SmartinMartin

Water

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭Phil.x

See can you get a pint of Juice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,228 ✭✭✭podgemonster

Maybe try a bottles rather than pints.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,648 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

IMO, if it's a special occasion, drink what you want. You've put in a lot of hard work and dedication for the last two months so if you are looking forward to the night, do your best to enjoy yourself.

I wouldn't suggest this if it were to be a regular thing though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,615 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

....... wrote: »
    Why clear spirits over whiskey or some other spirits?

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭New Goat

If you don't go too mad and aren't too hungover you could probably have four or five pints, (avoid the chipper) then go for quite a long walk the next day and your not going to be in too bad a position, easier said than done though. A large tub of Ben and jerry's would have more calories I'm sure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,488 ✭✭✭Macy0161

I'd just have what you like tbh. I do have to watch eating a load of crap afterwards while the willpower is down. I'm trying to get out of the habit of trying to compensate earlier in those days, as I do think that plays into that!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,982 ✭✭✭Caliden

Hanley (gone but not forgotten) sent an email out before about something like this.

His advice was to prepare your calorie intake during the week for the inevitable excess at the weekend. On the day, fill up on salad and high volume, low calorie foods to keep your appetite at bay.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Maybe try a bottles rather than pints.
    if going down the smaller portion route then half pints are far better value than longnecks. Unless its one of these pubs with buckets of bottles going cheap and overpriced half pints.

For some reason the big macho men are scared senseless to be caught drinking a half pint -while bottles are ok and still "manly". Even though there is not that much in the difference.

Lots of people talk about pints & 500ml cans as though they are pretty much equal.

330ml is 58% of a pint.
    A half pint is 57% of a can.

Guinness is relatively low in calories and suits being drank slower.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭ronnie085

Just go enjoy your night, one night on the beer will not make any difference, don't overthink it

• Registered Users Posts: 48 ludite

Whiskey is a good one for calories. Other spirits like vodka and gin.

There's light versions of cider too like bulmers and orchard thieves.

Advertisement