If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Speakers for projector

Options
  • 12-05-2017 11:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 415 ✭✭

Im in the process of meeting the electrician and deciding what goes where. We have a fireplace (inset stove in a contemporary build) that is the focal point of our living room and have decided to use a projector instead of lashing a tv above it.

I'm wondering regarding sound, I was planning on buying two sonos 1, a playbar and possibly a sub woofer for the complete package. However I can't see the playbar having a home below the stove. Is it imperative that the playbar is in the centre of the room (Like I imagine it is).

If this is the case what are my best options? I can't imagine hanging a tv on the wall, nor a speaker under stove.. would maybe 4 single speakers be an option in a rectangular room?

Comments

• Company Representative Posts: 17,282 ✭✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: Kenny

milhous wrote: »
    Im in the process of meeting the electrician and deciding what goes where. We have a fireplace (inset stove in a contemporary build) that is the focal point of our living room and have decided to use a projector instead of lashing a tv above it.

I'm wondering regarding sound, I was planning on buying two sonos 1, a playbar and possibly a sub woofer for the complete package. However I can't see the playbar having a home below the stove. Is it imperative that the playbar is in the centre of the room (Like I imagine it is).

If this is the case what are my best options? I can't imagine hanging a tv on the wall, nor a speaker under stove.. would maybe 4 single speakers be an option in a rectangular room?
    Hi Milhous.

The Sonos 5.1 is a very good setup and the functionality of it is great.

As with all 5.1 systems the centre speaker or in the case of Sonos the Playbar needs to be in the centre were the screen is located. As this is where all the vocals/speech will come from. So if the Projector or TV was is in on place and the speech coming was in from the side it would throw the experience of surround sound off.

Soundbars are pretty much designed to go below your screen to get the correct effect and quality. The same goes with a 5.1 setup. The centre channel always needs to be where the screen is so that the speech is coming from where the image is. I hope this makes sense?

You could use 4 single speakers in the corners of the room but this would only ever give a stereo sound from them. They would not product a surround sound feel.
    Even if you used an A/V receiver and only ran 4 speakers there would be no speech in any 5.1 modes, as the centre does all the vocals for surround sound.

Is there any space between the screen and the stove? Would there be enough room on top of the fireplace to set a soundbar? Although I would not recommend mounting anything above or below a stove due to the heat generated. Electrical products can generate enough heat of there own without any extra heat sources around them. I would worry depending on how hot the surrounding to the stove area gets you may damage either a TV or even a soundbar, causing them to over heat.

Let me know what you think.

• Registered Users Posts: 415 ✭✭milhous

Hi Milhous.

As with all 5.1 systems the centre speaker or in the case of Sonos the Playbar needs to be in the centre were the screen is located. As this is where all the vocals/speech will come from. So if the Projector or TV was is in on place and the speech coming was in from the side it would throw the experience of surround sound off.

Soundbars are pretty much designed to go below your screen to get the correct effect and quality. The same goes with a 5.1 setup. The centre channel always needs to be where the screen is so that the speech is coming from where the image is. I hope this makes sense?

You could use 4 single speakers in the corners of the room but this would only ever give a stereo sound from them. They would not product a surround sound feel.
    Even if you used an A/V receiver and only ran 4 speakers there would be no speech in any 5.1 modes, as the centre does all the vocals for surround sound.

Is there any space between the screen and the stove? Would there be enough room on top of the fireplace to set a soundbar? Although I would not recommend mounting anything above or below a stove due to the heat generated. Electrical products can generate enough heat of there own without any extra heat sources around them. I would worry depending on how hot the surrounding to the stove area gets you may damage either a TV or even a soundbar, causing them to over heat.

Thanks for that. I reckon I can make room for a soundbar centrally over or under the stove (under the screen in any case), the stove is more of a feature and maybe lit once or twice a year really. I like Sonos because you can start small with the playbar and build on but at this stage we could probably hardwire pretty easily as we're in the building stage. So I'm wondering would running wires now save a lot of money and give the same quality? I think the Sonos package would be around 2k and maybe a similar quality system wired would be a fraction of this?

• Company Representative Posts: 17,282 ✭✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: Kenny

milhous wrote: »
    Hi Milhous.

Thanks for that. I reckon I can make room for a soundbar centrally over or under the stove (under the screen in any case), the stove is more of a feature and maybe lit once or twice a year really. I like Sonos because you can start small with the playbar and build on but at this stage we could probably hardwire pretty easily as we're in the building stage. So I'm wondering would running wires now save a lot of money and give the same quality? I think the Sonos package would be around 2k and maybe a similar quality system wired would be a fraction of this?
    Hey Milhouse.

There are many option for 5.1 home cinema for the same price as the Sonos the sound quality would be much superior . Its more the features that Sonos can provide that its selling point. Don't get me wrong it does sound great but separates always win.

For a 5.1 setup you could look at something like the Denon AVRX2300 paired with the Monitor Audio Mass 5.1 priced at £849.00
    https://www.richersounds.com/package/system-savers/home-cinema-separates-bundle-deals/pah013228

or perhaps even the Denon AVRX2300 with the Q Acoustics 7000 plau 5.1 pack coming in at £1029.95
    https://www.richersounds.com/package/system-savers/home-cinema-separates-bundle-deals/pah013508

Something really tasty there is the AVRX2300 with the Monitor Audio Bronze 5 5.1 pack at £1299.00
    https://www.richersounds.com/package/system-savers/home-cinema-separates-bundle-deals/pah013231

Or the Yamaha RXA1060 with the Bronze 5 5.1 pack going for £1699
    https://www.richersounds.com/package/system-savers/home-cinema-separates-bundle-deals/pah013749

What you could also do is add a Sonos Connect to any of these setups and turn them into a sonos setup.
    Connect priced at £349.00
    https://www.richersounds.ie/p-10064-connect.aspx

I hope this may be of help.

Any questions please let me know.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.