Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What range do people actually get from the 30kwh leaf? For reals.

• 13-05-2017 8:30am
    Registered Users Posts: 992 ✭✭✭

I have a chance to get a 30kwh Nissan Leaf for a nice price.
    It may sway me, even though ive been waiting to see what happens with charge pricing and longer range cars and what prices they will be.
    So asking the people who actually own one, what range would they get from 100% to 5% from it.
    I just want to draw a circle around my house and see who I can reach without a charge.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,595 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

Driving in B eco mode, and not any faster than 93 km/hr I get close to 190 km.
    That requires discipline,including no unnecessary use of the indicators, radio and glove locker light and defo no HVAC [just kidding] but can be done.
    As you drive faster the range goes down pretty quick and at 130 km/hr plus, very quickly.
    What happens when you get to the end of the circle radius, on 5%?

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭TBi

I find people online tend to exaggerate their mileage. Or are 'honest' but forget to mention they had no heating on and drove like grannies.

I've an i3 so hard to compare but on good days I get 120 where people say you can get 160. On winter days we barely get 95km when people on here say they easily get 120.

And all that with the computer saying I got "100%" efficiency. Saying that I wouldn't go back to a normal car if I'd a choice :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭macnab

I own a 30kw Leaf.
    On a dry summers day I have driven 184km on flat roads with 5% remaining. That was Galway to Clifden return trip, driving at about 85km/h.
    On a cold wet winters day I have driven 136km on a very hilly route with 0% remaining. That was Dungarvan to Carlow, driving at high speeds.

• Registered Users Posts: 992 ✭✭✭jamesthepeach

Well I wouldn't like to drive like a granny. I was in a queue of traffic about 20 cars long held up for about 20mins by a leaf driving at 60 a few weeks ago. Wasn't nice.
    If I got down to 5% I'd plug it in of course :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭cros13

160-180km on N roads. 140-160km on the motorway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭sgalvin

i have a fluence which has a 22kwh battery and no heat pump for heating.

In winter driven fast with normal mode climate control at 21 degC is 80 km
    In summer driven fast with air con on is 110km.

Driven carefully/slowly adds 20km to both. As "fuel" is so cheap I don't see the point in making my life difficult.

The 30kwh leaf will conservatively add 50% to the above.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,702 ✭✭✭✭BoatMad

I own a 30 kWh. I regard it as a 150 km car to 20 % discharge. Approx.

Heaters etc have no effect ( 3-4 km )

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭ewj1978

I do 57 km to and from work. Use 30% going to and 35% coming back. All N roads, with 1 10km section at 120kph. Some big hills on the route. Might use an extra 5% in winter with air-con and lights.
    I don't use the eco button.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,741 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

I have a chance to get a 30kwh Nissan Leaf for a nice price.
    It may sway me, even though ive been waiting to see what happens with charge pricing and longer range cars and what prices they will be.
    So asking the people who actually own one, what range would they get from 100% to 5% from it.
    I just want to draw a circle around my house and see who I can reach without a charge.

Thanks.

What is that nice price?

If you drive aggressively with a good bit of 130km/h motorway driving you will not get 150km. I doubt any of the above owners would fight me on that ;)

If you can get that 2016 30kWh Leaf for about €16k, it would be a good choice of car. The Leaf is very old skool, a 2010 car, not for the people that want to look ahead, but at that price level, it's good value for money!

unkel wrote: »
    What is that nice price?

If you drive aggressively with a good bit of 130km/h motorway driving you will not get 150km. I doubt any of the above owners would fight me on that ;)

If you can get that 2016 30kWh Leaf for about €16k, it would be a good choice of car. The Leaf is very old skool, a 2010 car, not for the people that want to look ahead, but at that price level, it's good value for money!

Got offered one with 18000km on it by a friend. 161 with 30kwh and granny charger.
    He'll take €14k if I want to buy it this week as he is off to the UK to look at some cars. He doesnt like it at all. He says he spends too much time stuck at chargers queuing when on a long journey, and that driving the leaf any kind of distance takes twice the time to get to your destination than normal car due to stops and he is sick of it. I will rarely be taking it on a long journey unless staying overnight where i can charge it so only really charging at home for now. we have another car for the long trips.
    We are due to change one of our cars anyway, so i'll just see how much that is worth and if its enough i'll buy the leaf.
    Im more thinking its for the mrs and the kid who stay the night when visiting relatives. As long as they can get there, they can charge up overnight.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭goz83

What trim level? Does it have 6.6 OBC?

Cant remember the trim.
    Its not leather seats is all i know.
    Its got 6.6 charger in it.

I think if we take it, the first trip will be up to the sister right beside giants Causeway from Malahide, so that would test it out for sure.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Cant remember the trim.

I think if we take it, the first trip will be up to the sister right beside giants Causeway from Malahide, so that would test it out for sure.

You have to check the spec to compare price.
    Is it the low, mid or top spec.
    If it has Leather then a good chance it's too (SVE/Tekna).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,595 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

Cant remember the trim.

Yes it will as the infrastructure up there is bit hit and miss: I have written about it in my dedicated thread

Five ways in Newry is a FCP
    https://www.zap-map.com/live/
    The adaptor on the cable in Banbrige was run over by a truck the last time I was up there.

ps clearly the seller bought it without much research

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

kceire wrote: »
    You have to check the spec to compare price.
    Is it the low, mid or top spec.
    If it has Leather then a good chance it's too (SVE/Tekna).

The Mrs says it's sv

Yes it will as the infrastructure up there is bit hit and miss: I have written about it in my dedicated thread

Five ways in Newry is a FCP
    https://www.zap-map.com/live/
    The adaptor on the cable in Banbrige was run over by a truck the last time I was up there.

ps clearly the seller bought it without much research

He actually asked here before he bought it. He said that he was given the impression that there were no issues with wait times and overcrowding at fcps. He said it's a regular occurrence for him arriving and there being one charging and another a two waiting to charge before him. Fine when you have all day, not when you dont. Doesn't really matter to me though as I intend using them very little.
    I'm seriously thinking about it though. And the wife does want to upgrade her car.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 915 ✭✭✭heliguyheliguy

He actually asked here before he bought it. He said that he was given the impression that there were no issues with wait times and overcrowding at fcps. He said it's a regular occurrence for him arriving and there being one charging and another a two waiting to charge before him. Fine when you have all day, not when you dont. Doesn't really matter to me though as I intend using them very little.
    I'm seriously thinking about it though. And the wife does want to upgrade her car.

Go for it, if you don't need the fcp's you will love it and probably never let the wife use it :)

Go for it, if you don't need the fcp's you will love it and probably never let the wife use it :)

I might give him a ring later on. The only thing I'm worried about is that sometimes I will need to use the chargers and the last time the ESB announced charges they were trying to pull a subscription stroke on people.
    I'm not into that at all.
    It's like having to pay a subscription to use the garage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,808 ✭✭✭✭Water John

The future of cars is EV. I have no doubt on that. You are being offered good value. But it's your choice.
    Many would be really pissed off, if ESB get their way on a monthly charge.
    Personally, can't see happening. What is to stop private operators setting up FCPs?

I think the decision is out of my hands anyway :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,295 ✭✭✭n97 mini

14k for a 161 30kw 6.6 is a good price. Go for it!

No leather, not a Tekna (SVE). If it has sat nav, it's an Acenta (SV). It's certainly not a bad price for a 1 year old 30kw 6.6 Acenta.

goz83 wrote: »
    No leather, not a Tekna (SVE). If it has sat nav, it's an Acenta (SV). It's certainly not a bad price for a 1 year old 30kw 6.6 Acenta.

Yeah has sat nav.
    Its out of my hands now.
    Shes on the phone negotiating now.
    She has it down to 13k already. This could go on a while.

EDIT :
    Shes just finished. She just spent €12,800 of drinking money.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

Yeah has sat nav.
    Its out of my hands now.
    Shes on the phone negotiating now.
    She has it down to 13k already. This could go on a while.

EDIT :
    Shes just finished. She just spent €12,800 of drinking money.

That's brilliant price... Wear well

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,460 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

Phenomenal price for a 1 year old car.

Is your friend upgrading to another EV?
    Does he have a home charger that he could sell to you too?

The friend was ditching the Leaf due to range issues so I can't see him getting another one for a while.

Some woman you've got there, James.

No he's getting a Mercedes. He just wanted rid of the leaf by this week so he can go over and buy the car he's looking at. He thought the boy racer was dead in him. Looks like it was alive and kicking.

Shes collecting it Tuesday. I won't get a go of it til the weekend.

He doesn't want the charge take off his wall because it would leave a big hole in the paint so he's keeping it (that was one reason to get the price down more).
    We don't need it anyway. The granny pack will do. One of the guys at work plugs a granny pack into his garage and just used that for the last 4 years and he says it's fine.

• Advertisement

A 30A charger will cost 4/500 plus installation. You can justify that, with your car bargain.

Make charging a chore by choosing granny cable only. Really shoukd get a home charge point.

The chap sounds a bit snowflake. Worried about a hole and missing paint. I believe some filler and paint would sort that. Ah well, you're the beneficiary here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

Make charging a chore by choosing granny cable only. Really shoukd get a home charge point.

The chap sounds a bit snowflake. Worried about a hole and missing paint. I believe some filler and paint would sort that. Ah well, you're the beneficiary here.

Like selling an almost new 30kWh 6.6kW Leaf for 12800 did not sound crazy enough... ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,136 ✭✭✭✭KCross

The granny pack will do. One of the guys at work plugs a granny pack into his garage and just used that for the last 4 years and he says it's fine.

From 0-100% will take about 14hrs on a 30kWh Leaf using granny cable.

If you can live with that then fine but be aware that it's a 3 pin plug, which isn't waterproof unless the car is within reach of a waterproof outdoor socket.

Also consider that it's more economical to get a date/night meter and charge on night rate electricity and the granny cable won't complete the charge within the 9hrs.

Just a few things to consider.

No-one charges from 0% tho so it's not a problem.

Also the granny cable is water resistant so fine to use outdoors. Just make sure the socket it's plugged into is indoors or water resistant.

n97 mini wrote: »

Not on a regular basis, but I have on a few occasions limped home with only a few % left. That said for it to be a problem you would need to be limping home on your last legs AND needing 100% for the next day.

• Advertisement

n97 mini wrote: »

Also the granny cable is water resistant so fine to use outdoors. Just make sure the socket it's plugged into is indoors or water resistant.

Obviously we don't charge from 0% everyday. Just wanted him to know the figures, he can do the math himself and he needed to be aware that his friend at work might be in a 24kWh so his 30kWh would take longer.

I did say the granny cable was fine if the car was within reach of an outdoor socket (extensions leads won't cut it)! Again, not something that is obvious to a newbie.

I'm just trying to ensure his eyes are open here so he doesn't end up the same as the dude he is buying it off!! ;)

I got the jist of what you were saying but I though I'd clarify as it wasn't clear. The socket needs to be water resistant only if out doors. In a garage or even out the living room window is fine. Granny cable itself is fully water resistant.

KCross wrote: »
    From 0-100% will take about 14hrs on a 30kWh Leaf using granny cable.

If you can live with that then fine but be aware that it's a 3 pin plug, which isn't waterproof unless the car is within reach of a waterproof outdoor socket.

Also consider that it's more economical to get a date/night meter and charge on night rate electricity and the granny cable won't complete the charge within the 9hrs.

Just a few things to consider.

I doubt it will ever even be 50% down on normal evenings. We already have nightime meter and have plenty of sockets in the garage.
    I was taking to the friend who only uses granny charger and he has very similar usage to.us and it's not a problem for him. So it's a waste of money buying and getting a full charger connected. If we find we need it we will get one, but no point until then.
    If it needs more charging than it can get in a night she will just start it earlier.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭Casati

That's savage depreciation for one year - circa 10k? What would have dealer have offered to buy the Leaf back I wonder?

Casati wrote: »
    That's savage depreciation for one year - circa 10k? What would have dealer have offered to buy the Leaf back I wonder?

Don't know. But he's not short of a Bob and his dream car came up in the UK so he wanted a quick sale. And we had expressed an interest in a leaf to him ages ago, so he rang me and I told him to talk to the boss.
    And it all happened in a few days then.
    I hope he gets his car this week.

• Advertisement

I doubt it will ever even be 50% down on normal evenings. We already have nightime meter and have plenty of sockets in the garage.
    I was taking to the friend who only uses granny charger and he has very similar usage to.us and it's not a problem for him. So it's a waste of money buying and getting a full charger connected. If we find we need it we will get one, but no point until then.
    If it needs more charging than it can get in a night she will just start it earlier.

Cool. Sounds like the car and granny cable will be indoors in which case it will be perfectly fine to use the granny cable, even long term.

Unless you start driving it a bit more than you expect.... which is a common theme among EV owners! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭Casati

Don't know. But he's not short of a Bob and his dream car came up in the UK so he wanted a quick sale. And we had expressed an interest in a leaf to him ages ago, so he rang me and I told him to talk to the boss.
    And it all happened in a few days then.
    I hope he gets his car this week.

Sounds like a great bargain and will give you v cheap motoring overall.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,702 ✭✭✭✭BoatMad

Casati wrote: »

naw, just a guy giving away a car well under its worth

BoatMad wrote: »
    naw, just a guy giving away a car well under its worth

+1
    It's not depreciation, but more the guy selling for what it owes him so he can buy the new car straight away without the hassle of selling, trading etc

I done the same in Scotland in a march. Guy was movin abroad and was giving the car back to the Nissan Dealer in aberdeen.

I got my 2014 SVE home, taxed and registered for 9980e. Just lucky, like the OP In the right place at the right time and ready to buy.

+1
    It's not depreciation, but more the guy selling for what it owes him so he can buy the new car straight away without the hassle of selling, trading etc

I done the same in Scotland in a march. Guy was movin abroad and was giving the car back to the Nissan Dealer in aberdeen.

I got my 2014 SVE home, taxed and registered for 9980e. Just lucky, like the OP In the right place at the right time and ready to buy.

And you're damn well lucky I was determined to get a 6.6 OBC and was avoiding white cars, because I had contacted the seller a few days before you. :)

Small ding on wing ;)

Cracking value!

And you're damn well lucky I was determined to get a 6.6 OBC and was avoiding white cars, because I had contacted the seller a few days before you. :)

Small ding on wing ;)

Cracking value!

Yeah that's it. It happened in the first few weeks of his ownership. It was noted on its first service back in 2015. I got it fixed by the PDR guys for €90.

I like white cars in Fairness, also have a white E60, I wanted the alpine white over the other white (more creamy), and it had a few little extras like the chrome pack, boot liner etc

6.6 would have been nice, so would 30kwh but the budget wasn't there for my entry in this EV world.

That's super value for money. And only when you bought it do the savings begin :D

Some missus you have, jamesthepeach :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,947 ✭✭✭long_b

Does the number of passengers not affect the range? Are people quoting range with one or two people?

It does, but not as much as you would think. A Teslas Model S (2200kg with driver) uses about 30-40% more energy than a Hyundai Ioniq (1600kg with driver) in city driving, but at constant speeds on the motorway there is much less in it. Much more to do with aerodynamics than with weight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭cros13

long_b wrote:
    Does the number of passengers not affect the range? Are people quoting range with one or two people?

The difference for a Model S with four passengers Vs one doing Belfast to cork was less than half a kWh... For a journey that takes around 80kWh to do. The factors are battery capacity, aerodynamics, rolling resistance, motor/inverter efficiency and weight in that order.

• Advertisement
Advertisement