Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nine subjects in the leaving cert

Options
  • 13-05-2017 9:15am
    Registered Users Posts: 15

This is very confusing as i don't want to be doing nine subjects but I am forced to due to the school not facilitating the subjects. ATM I'm planning to do:
    Economics H
    Maths H
    App maths H
    DCG H
    Spanish H
    Physics H
    Irish H
    Geography H
    English H

The reason is that some subjects conflict with each other like DCG and spanish so i am forced to do Spanish out side of school and i have to pick a different subject eg geography. My strengths would be in maths. I am thinking of dropping to pass irish or pass English as they take up a lot of work for me.

Could anyone please advise me as I am still able to.change some things around. Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,314 ✭✭✭Consonata

Conor273 wrote: »
    This is very confusing as i don't want to be doing nine subjects but I am forced to due to the school not facilitating the subjects. ATM I'm planning to do:
    Economics H
    Maths H
    App maths H
    DCG H
    Spanish H
    Physics H
    Irish H
    Geography H
    English H

The reason is that some subjects conflict with each other like DCG and spanish so i am forced to do Spanish out side of school and i have to pick a different subject eg geography. My strengths would be in maths. I am thinking of dropping to pass irish or pass English as they take up a lot of work for me.

Could anyone please advise me as I am still able to.change some things around. Thanks

Just curious, why do you need to pick up Geography? Is it a course requirement?

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭Pivot Eoin

Don't bother. Honestly, know a good few people who did this and it really didnt end up benefiting them at all. If you're smart you'll get whatever points you like.

Even guys who got like 850+ points (yes i know max 6000) out of the 900 available, get a few congrats in the immediate aftermath, but makes **** all difference after. Drop at least 1, if not 2 IMO.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭judeboy101

Economics H
    Maths H
    App maths H
    DCG H
    Spanish H
    Physics H
    Irish H
    Geography H
    English H

Drop economics and do accounting if your strength is maths drop geography.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Conor273

Consonata wrote: »
    Just curious, why do you need to pick up Geography? Is it a course requirement?

In my school there are 4 brackets and and i have to choose one from each but style of the subjects i want are in the same bracket so I'm forced to sushi the ones i want outside of school sand then i have to do a random one

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭beechwood55

9 is too many. What is DCG?
    Drop to Pass Irish - but do it sooner rather than at the last minute in 6th year.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭The Pheasant2

judeboy101 wrote: »
    Drop economics and do accounting if your strength is maths drop geography.

Economics is a great subject for the leaving, nice short syllabus. Also gives you a grounding in how an economy works which I feel is essential knowledge for a "grown up".

To answer your question OP I did 9 in the Leaving myself (Irish, English, Maths, Spanish, Biology, Classical studies, Economics, History, Ag sci) did me no harm - can be tough but if you feel you're up to it go for it.

Edit: I'd also recommend dropping to ordinary Irish, relieves a bit of pressure from your other subjects

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭Pivot Eoin

You seem to be really technically and maths focused. So tbh, I'd drop the Geography (If its not inherantly linked to the profession you imagine for yourself) and tbh - drop to Ordinary Irish, and just make sure you dont fail (Easy, I did this, I didnt look at it one bit)

If you're going down the line of accountancy/engineering/finance - which it looks like based on your subject choice, then Irish and probably Geog the colleges, and companies wont give a ****e about.

Spanish is the subject I wish I had available to me, most useful foreign language along with Mandarin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭doolox

If you have any interest in teaching or other public sector jobs keep the honours Irish especially if you are good at it or have a family background in the Irish language.

More and more national school teachers are increasingly finding obtaining and maintaining competency in Irish a struggle and a premium will be given for having a good competency in Irish.

If not interested in Teaching or other cultural aspects of Irish then drop it if the effort is too much.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Conor273

9 is too many. What is DCG?
    Drop to Pass Irish - but do it sooner rather than at the last minute in 6th year.

DCG is tech graph

• Registered Users Posts: 3,232 ✭✭✭Bazinga_N

Economics H
    Maths H
    App maths H
    DCG H
    Spanish H
    Physics H
    Irish H
    Geography H
    English H

I did nine subjects last year and it's really not worth it. When you have to spread your time amongst nine subjects you can't expect to get very high grades in all of them because you're sacrificing the time you could spend on some of them on the others. Do you need Spanish for a requirement? If not, drop it. I assume you're doing either Economics or Applied Maths after school? Whichever one it is, ask in school if you can sit in the back of geography studying either Economics or Applied Maths. I'm sure once you're in a class and not wondering about they won't mind. There's no need to do geography if you don't need and you're not interested in it. Feel free to drop to pass Irish or English. The workload for honours Irish is probably lighter than the English course. There's no need to do more than 7 HL subjects anyways!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37 jogd1234

Drop geography altogether, also drop one of English or Irish. I'm doing 8 & even that's tough, 9 is unnecessary. Economics is a handy subject & the rest are maths-y, so you'll do grand

• Registered Users Posts: 3,026 ✭✭✭Call me Al

If I were you i'd drop geography, if it's not a 3rd level course requirement.
    Look at what you want to do for college and career and what you think you'll perform best at for exam points.
    Do you think you'll struggle with those compulsory subjects honours Irish, honours English?
    Do you drop to pass for one and maintain a total of 8 subjects?
    Back when I did LC ( fadó fadó!) the best 6 subjects were picked for points so maybe you should only do 7 including pass Irish /English if you feel the workload isn't beyond you. Economics geography and technical drawing, while nice to have knowledge of, will take up study time and headspace... and may not add to your potential points score (if not relevant to course requirements or selection) which is where your focus should be.

• Registered Users Posts: 946 ✭✭✭daraghwal

Whatever you do, DO NOT DO 9 SUBJECTS. This is coming from a student that did 8 subjects last year (Biology outside of school and OL Irish in school). I am not repeating. I dropped English, Irish and Business and took on Ag Science. I still do the Biology myself and at the moment I have 6 subjects and I feel like it's just the right amount of workload. If you do 9, coming up to exam time you just won't be able for it. Doing 9 subjects spreads your time out too much and every subject suffers as a result.

Advertisement