Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pre purchase survey roof problems

• 13-05-2017 10:32am
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Recent pre purchase survey has highlighted a few concerns outside expected issues. The big recommendation is regarding the roof. Chimney stack is leaking, the purloins are light , tiles are sagging in main roof and extension and there are "no trusts" Advice is to remove all tiles and insert trusts, new purloins felt etc. Surveyor suggested a possible price of almost 9k for this alone ! Agent is going back to vendor with a list but id really appreciate some feedback as to possible costs. Am I stone made as it seems a massive job. Thanks for any advice

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭CruelCoin

Depends what you find acceptable.

If there are no signs of water actually entering the house and doing damage, then does it matter, and is it worth 9 grand? If the stack is leaking, i'd bet you any money that you could stop that with a ball of silicone sealant, for a fraction of the cost.

The surveyor will always recommend what you need to make things "perfect", but often less than perfect is perfectly fine!

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Crazyhouse

Thanks for that. There is evidence of water penetration and some timber decay. He recommended replacing lead flashing and cover and on chimney also affected timbers in attic

The other roof work he's recommending uses the phrases to "stabilise" and 're align etc. I am calling him Monday to go through it in more detail. It's a really detailed paragraph !.

Thanks again

Advertisement