Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sheelin has me on my knees :(

Options
  • 13-05-2017 11:20am
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Been fishing for 25 years,all over the world,biggest trout is 32lbs and on the fly is 18lbs.but this year I'm back home and fishing sheelin for the first time.the lough is stuffed with fish jumping everywhere,at the monent they are taking buzzers but not mine :( I can see fins and the odd splash which tells me their feeding just under the surface on buzzers and emergers.im out of ideas now and in need of help,anyone with any info would be great,thanks people

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,246 ✭✭✭ardinn

I havnt caught a fish in my last 8 attempts - that is down from 20+ a session in april. It's not you, it's the fish!! This bloody dry spell has the rivers and lakes turned upside down!

I think I have actually forgotten how to catch a fish these days, im questioning everything im doing and losing confidence in my ability but reading the comments on facebook and talking to anglers all over the place, the situation is the same everywhere - Stick with it - the rain yesterday and today will improve things vastly - hang in there!

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭gumbo1

Ye sure it's not the pikes fault?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

With the drop in water level on the river here, I've found stealth and fly selection are critical. I'm catching trout but it is hard work lately. Never blanked on the two days a week so far but I have bad to resort to nymphing, changing my selections constantly to find the right combo, and staying out of the water when at all possible. There are plenty of flies hatching but the fish don't seem interested in dry or wet flies.

Roll on some decent rain. The river level still hasn't changed despite the past couple of days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Terryboro wrote: »
    Been fishing for 25 years,all over the world,biggest trout is 32lbs and on the fly is 18lbs.but this year I'm back home and fishing sheelin for the first time.the lough is stuffed with fish jumping everywhere,at the monent they are taking buzzers but not mine :( I can see fins and the odd splash which tells me their feeding just under the surface on buzzers and emergers.im out of ideas now and in need of help,anyone with any info would be great,thanks people

Try every buzzer and emerger in you box and something will work. Go at low light in the late evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

And to add to srameen's post, fish the longest possible leader to can manage at the lowest breaking strain you can go without compromising your ability to land a fish.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 730 ✭✭✭thefisherbuy

I secound that what the lads said there, long leaders represent what's hatching the basics, also another thing especially when it's calm and sunny weather use "mud" to put on the leader is basically takes the shine off the leader for wary fish which would be handy in sunny flat calm conditions like we were getting there.

• Registered Users Posts: 941 ✭✭✭pheasant tail

Terryboro wrote: »
    I was on it yesterday, was a good hatch of green fly on it after lunch. Seen a few fish also and got covering a few but they weren't interested. Very few fish caught, friend had one and missed another and he got both of them fishing blind. Don't let Sheelin get ya down, it has that affect, fish still aren't properly on it yet but the coming days will be interesting, and the spent fishing is second to none when it gets going.

• Registered Users Posts: 668 ✭✭✭blackpearl

I was on it yesterday, was a good hatch of green fly on it after lunch. Seen a few fish also and got covering a few but they weren't interested. Very few fish caught, friend had one and missed another and he got both of them fishing blind. Don't let Sheelin get ya down, it has that affect, fish still aren't properly on it yet but the coming days will be interesting, and the spent fishing is second to none when it gets going.

Had 7 over the weekend on sheelin 2 on dry greens 1 on spent and 4 on buzzer from 3lb up to 51/2 hard day on greens yesterday did not get trout till after 6 o clock when the heavy downpoor came fish started to move ,had the bigger trout on buzzer late into the night .

• Registered Users Posts: 941 ✭✭✭pheasant tail

Not so bad, I'm off wed and thur so I'll get back out then, might get a few hours tue eve! Id say the green fly might have finished up by then ya think?

• Registered Users Posts: 864 ✭✭✭jack01986

Was there yesterday, had two hookups but nothing landed one fish hooked and came straight towards the boat couldn't keep in contact and it came off. They were both taking spent. Fish seemed to be cruising around sipping the odd fly down.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 668 ✭✭✭blackpearl

Not so bad, I'm off wed and thur so I'll get back out then, might get a few hours tue eve! Id say the green fly might have finished up by then ya think?

Their will be green fly for the next 3 weeks but when they get use to spent they wont bother with greens till near the end of the mayfly, you might get till the weekend with greens if your lucky,the whole thing is a big hype they call it duffers fornight they could not be more wrong its not easy on sheelin you read these reports of trout caught and cant wait to get over thei,r what they dont tell you is how many boats fished for them trout, one evening in the spent last year i counted 120 boats on the lake they were raving about that night in the reports 36 trout caught one at 9lb and a few at between 5 and 6 but that was between about 240 anglers do the maths. Somedays your scratching your head and wondering are you on the right lake been fishing it 40 years and know it like the back of my hand its hard work but its the size of the trout that makes it wort it with out a douth the best dry fly lake in the world.So dont worry if you have a bad day keep at it and you will hopefully have a few good ones.

Advertisement