Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Andre Ward v Sergey Kovalev 2 - 17/06

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 56,599 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Morrison J wrote: »

Really can't wait for this fight. Going on the way they have been conducting themselves it seems that Kovalev really wants to decimate Ward.

I am hoping this means even more aggression and offence from him, which will really put it up to Ward and show us IF Ward can handle the heat, and respond and fan the flames. I expect/hope a better fight this time with more combat and more offence, particularly from Ward. Ward may sink or swim here.

It could be a Kovalev blowout, a Ward masterclass in countering, or another repeat of fight 1.

Kovalev sitting back in any way expecting a decision should it be competitive would be the worst thing he could do. I think he has to know this. Kovalev needs top go out and really stamp his presence all over Ward.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭Burial.

For Kovalev's sake, I hope he calms down and doesn't just try and go and throw the kitchen sink. He's clearly emotional over the first fight, and the trainer spat issues as well as Ward being politely irritating and egging him on isn't helping. He must believe he can win over 12 if he puts in the work and not just think he has to stop Ward. You'd assume he's professional enough to not let it take over but he's only human. Nevertheless he's far too skilled to just go like that. If Ward starts strong, builds a clear lead then Kovalev has no option other than go for broke, which will be absolutely fascinating from both sides.

Really is a fascinating fight. A repeat of fight one of sorts (close decision), a classic Andre Ward UD12 shutout or dominant Kovalev performance either brutal beatdown over 12 or stoppage are all pretty equal possibilities.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,908 ✭✭✭Morrison J

walshb wrote: »
    Kovalev sitting back in any way expecting a decision should it be competitive would be the worst thing he could do. I think he has to know this. Kovalev needs top go out and really stamp his presence all over Ward.

I think Kovalev wins this off the jab and doubling up on that jab. He needs the fight to be kept at medium/long range. If he comes in aggressive it gives Ward opportunities to get inside which is where Ward is at his best. I have a bad feeling Kovalev might see blood in there early and try jump on Ward which I think plays into Wards hands. Kovalev needs to be calm and fight to a gameplan behind that jab for me. It's his best asset by a mile.

I do think Ward will find a way inside just like he did in the first fight though and slow down Kovalev with body work. Kovalev is very soft to the body imo and I think that's a massive reason Ward had joy late in the first fight. That early body work by Ward is key.

Close but clear Ward decision I think I'm going with.

Morrison J wrote: »
    I think Kovalev wins this off the jab and doubling up on that jab. He needs the fight to be kept at medium/long range. If he comes in aggressive it gives Ward opportunities to get inside which is where Ward is at his best. I have a bad feeling Kovalev might see blood in there early and try jump on Ward which I think plays into Wards hands. Kovalev needs to be calm and fight to a gameplan behind that jab for me. It's his best asset by a mile.

I do think Ward will find a way inside just like he did in the first fight though and slow down Kovalev with body work. Kovalev is very soft to the body imo and I think that's a massive reason Ward had joy late in the first fight. That early body work by Ward is key.

Close but clear Ward decision I think I'm going with.

Agreed. Mid range is his zone. I still think he needs to have real spite and controlled aggression. Busier than fight 1. Like I said, anyway competitive and it's unlikely he gets the nod due to the farcical officials arrangement.

He actually needs to go out with the mindset that he needs to dominate and shut out Ward, and to almost believe that only a KO/TKO will earn him the win. If this is in his mindset he can then plan and execute his offence, step it up a notch or two.

Straight hard and clean shots and shooting that left hook to Ward's body a fair bit. Easier said than done against a fairly defensively minded opponent who will be trying to spoil.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭ThunderCat

I don't think Kovalev will be able to keep his emotions in check in order to execute any sort of gameplan that doesn't play into Wards hands. I think he will be rash and from a very early stage in the fight. His ego is bruised as he lost (officially, leaving debate aside) and wasn't able to steamroll Ward like he does to everyone else. He will start the fight trying to assert his dominance and to show he is more of a man than Ward and it will be his undoing. Ward is far far smarter. I find Kovalev one dimensional, albeit he is supremely effective at what he does. He reminds me a bit of Amir Khan with regards to only fighting one way. Khan might start off with a gameplan but that soon starts going out the window and he wants to stand and trade. Kovalev is the exact same, but obviously that's where the similarities end. Whereas fight one was a bit of an unknown for Ward, this time I'm confident he will know exactly what Kovalev will do and he will know it before the first bell is even rang.

• Advertisement

But you haven't addressed what Ward needs to do? Ward needs to win this, not just keep up and be competitive. Can Ward mount a decent offence with substance, because his last showing was not that for me.

The big issue being that the cards are firmly stacked in Ward's favor as regards the officiating here. The playing field is not at all level. Kovalev having to really earn a win and Ward having to just be somewhat competitive.

In a nutshell Ward is not Sergey's most difficult obstacle.

The only hope Sergey has is to be more aggressive and more spiteful. Boxing with Ward will see a close fight that he cannot really win on the cards. That is why we could be in for a great fight, and possibly two great performances. The officiating may well work to the fans favour.

Getting excited for this now. Have had some free time and I've been watching past fights of both. We're in for another great fight lads.

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭hbhook

Has anyone seen 24/7 yet without downloading it? Usually I'd say **** it but...

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,207 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

it's on youtube, it's probably linked in this thread already

yeah but I keep getting the ''not available in your country'' crap.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭ThunderCat

hbhook wrote: »
    yeah but I keep getting the ''not available in your country'' crap.

try dailymotion. it might be on there.

hbhook wrote: »
    Has anyone seen 24/7 yet without downloading it? Usually I'd say **** it but...

I recorded it on Sky Sports. Quite enjoyed it..

Ward a real family oriented man. Great to see. He's a classy guy..

I thought Ward's team came across as smug. Except for Andre and Hunter. Didn't quite see the end when Duva and Hunter were having a back n' forth. The weigh-in should be good. The HBO guy said the first 5 min of 24/7 was compelling...arrgh!

Adonis the pimp said he wants the winner next year, which adds a little more incentive for these two. Adonis must expect a Ward victory as he was never keen on a Kovalev fight.

pac_man wrote: »
    So if this fight is anyway close( just like the first fight) and Ward gets the nod are you just going to blame the judging?

No..if I feel it's close I'll say so..

Anyway, close or not the officiating is a sham. It is not a level playing field.

Hard to take this seriously when you look at the set up..

Like I said, Sergey's biggest obstacle is not Ward, it's the officials.

Not a shot at anyone here but I've really started to lose respect for a tonne of Boxing fans in recent times. I honestly think the IQ of most boxing fans is clinically retarded. That goes for Kovalev, Duva et. al as well. Ward's arrogant and cocky for making comments that he's not fussed and he sticks to his game plan yet Kovalev is out right racist and gets a pass. Ward fights within the rules set out and agreed upon and he's called a cheater. He fights a style that referees permit and he's said to have bought the ref. He gets the nod in a close decision and he's said to have bought the judges.

Ward cannot control the referee, the judges or the rule makers. Blame those and not Ward. He's doing everything within the rules and he's not in any way influential enough to drive officials or judges to corruption. Where he at Floyd status then you might have a sniff of credibility making that claim. I love that guys like Golovkin and Kovalev have brought more viewers to Boxing, it's great but Jesus they do attract the bottom of the barrel in terms of intelligence. Big George's jazz analogy rings as clear as ever.

Vegas appoint their own officials.This has been going on for years. Kovalevs team had the opportunity to object to the officials. Plenty examples of "Away" fighters getting a decision in Vegas against an american.

I am aware of all that. Doesn't change the fact that it's not a level playing field.

And yes, Kovalev has handicapped himself. I said this for fight 1 as well.

I haven't heard anyone claim that Ward controlled the referee or bought the judges. He didn't need to. 4 officials all U.S nationals. No need for a U.S. boxer to buy or control. It is what it is..

Also never heard anyone blaming Ward. In my view he is faultless.

Kovalev and co. just walked straight out of the press conference an hour ago. Kovalev looked a little gittery and nervous up stage, dare I say it a bit of a wreck. He needs to calm down and stay focused or its going to be a long night.

Kovalev has been full of ****e throughout the build up to this fight imo. I'm a fan of him but his constant excuse making is grating. Makes about 10 separate excuses for his performance in the first fight in the 24/7 yet still claims he won clear and it was the biggest robbery ever.

• Advertisement

Ward gave Rigondeaux some props during the P.C. which I thought was cool.

Ward would make a fine trainer but I think he'll stick to the analysis gig when he retires. It'd be a damn shame if neither Hopkins or Ward go down the trainer route. All that knowledge and wisdom not being passed on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 890 ✭✭✭Sweet Science

Everytime i doubt Ward he proves me wrong .

I think Kov wins this by stoppage . Put your money on Andre points win.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 890 ✭✭✭Sweet Science

Kovalev going on like this was the biggest robbery of all time is a joke btw

It was a close fight now there is a rematch get on with it

Anyone else feel the promotion for this is quite poor? Thought it was the same when the first fought. The first one was hardly a cracker and I just can't seem to get as pumped up for this one as others.

Globally speaking it was never going to come alive. Nobody cares for either man outside of boxing fans.

Anyone else feel the promotion for this is quite poor? Thought it was the same when the first fought. The first one was hardly a cracker and I just can't seem to get as pumped up for this one as others.

Says it all when the lead promotor has probably been Rigondeaux.

One of the worst promotions in recent memory. Hopefully RocNation leave boxing after this. Can't be making a profit out of it surely. Neither fighter being particularly likable doesn't help either I suppose.

PPV will bomb and they're practically giving tickets away in Vegas apparently. Amazing for what in my opinion is probably the best fight of the year skill level wise.

I heard tickets are still readily available. Had the fight been a few weeks later I would definitely be going but whatever. Ward's always going to be a tough sell and Kovalev's shine has definitely worn off a little. Hunter and Jackson aren't the most attractive trainers either, easy to dislike both. Roc Nation have been a disaster in general and Kathy Duva might be the dumbest person in the entire sport. Ward is precise with his trash talk but it's not in him to go too below the belt and make headline quotes. Kovalev has been repeating the same three sentences since November.

I really enjoyed the first fight. But fights I enjoy aren't the same as everyone else's. I'm entertained more by Erislandy Lara than by Gennady Golovkin. I'm buzzing for tomorrow night tbh. I'm rooting for Ward 100%, I hope he puts on a clinic and punishes Kovalev for being such a childish prick. But on the other hand I hope Kovalev gives him hell and makes him work for it because that's when we see the best Ward. Whatever happens I just hope there's no excuses after this. If Ward gets KO'd tomorrow, so be it. The focus on the scorecards and not the actual fight first time out which was a fascinating tactical battle is everything that's wrong with the followers of this sport.

I just wants a good honest and well fought fight. I want to see Ward really go out and be more in control and more authoritative. He was far from that last November. In other words I want both to bring out the best in each other, and for the judges to judge it as they truly see it. Winner or loser I don't care, but would prefer a Kovalev win. Sets up a rubber!

Maybe the ****ty promotion has something to do with the guarantees they're handing out? The weigh-in a few hours from now will be tense.

• Advertisement

Yesss, Yesss, let the hate flow through you Sergey.

Advertisement