Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Andre Ward v Sergey Kovalev 2 - 17/06

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭Burial.

Getting a tad bit nervous now. Looking forward to seeing Rigondeaux again as well. Shame how his career is turning out but always a joy to see him. Ward, Kovalev, Rigondeaux and Bivol all fighting on the one card is such a treat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 56,599 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Just can't do these early morning jobs anymore. Will have to catch this on record..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 890 ✭✭✭Sweet Science

Most definitely recording until the morning .

Did Andre figure him out last time or did kovalev tire as he claims . maybe a bit of both

Most definitely recording until the morning .

Did Andre figure him out last time or did kovalev tire as he claims . maybe a bit of both

Andre figured him out..otherwise known as not losing by as much in the second half as the first half..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,908 ✭✭✭Morrison J

I'm finished with Rigo at this point. Great talent but total waster and awful to watch. Love to see him get beat and wouldn't rule it out by any means.

Looking forward to seeing Bivol again. Looks a real talent.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭Burial.

Definitely not buying the no energy thing in the leadup to the first fight. He did look sluggish and wreckless towards the end but Ward was methodical with the body punches, but he certainly wasn't out of energy gassed. Kovalev tends to fade anyway whereas Ward is a bit of a freak conditioning wise.

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭hbhook

I'll have taken many blows to the liver by fight time but I'll try to persevere. I am getting more and more choosey these days though..

Rigo one of the biggest wasters at so called elite level..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,104 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

walshb wrote: »
    Rigo one of the biggest wasters at so called elite level..

Ah that's a bit harsh. Fantastic talent but not lighting up maybe as he could/should be. He was old turning over and might have been a combination of bad management and other factors that added in on that. I actually always liked watching him - even if people said he was boring or whatever. Massive natural talent

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,245 ✭✭✭myshirt

Kolalev to do the business here. Great fight on our hands here.

• Advertisement

pac_man wrote: »
    You're getting like Dan Rafeal for the loathing of Rigondeaux.

It's just so difficult as a fan of the sport to not be very frustrated with his waste of a career. To date that is what it is...

Excuses excuses!

Also, it's crazy really but beating Donaire didn't sit well with Bob. I think it was the fight after though that Bob decided to say something.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,317 ✭✭✭HigginsJ

So Paul Smith, Super Middleweight Champion of the World, I'm sure everyone hope he gets the win :P Zeuge is pretty much a paper champ (& barely that), Smith could edge it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,640 ✭✭✭SHOVELLER

Going back to the promotion of the fight. Plenty of tickets still available for the fight today which is a shame. The first fight was absorbing with 2 unbeaten warriors going at it in a superb venue yet I sold my spare outside for $50.

Kovalev really needs bums on seats to get a good payday as Ward is on a guarantee but walking out of a press conference definitely doesnt help him. ALWAYS play the media game.

Talk of the Mayweather McGregor "fight" having an effect on sales is a smokescreen for poor promotion.

Jackson was right before contracts were signed that this would need more of a promotional push. Shame.

Still looking forward it as much as the first one. I'll be hoping for a Kovalev win to get a trilogy!!

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Kidantrim

Really looking forward to this....we could have a fight for the ages tonight. Its a shame casual sports fans arent more interested in this match up, they could miss out on a lot.

Yes, it might be sloppy at times, just like last time, but I couldnt take my eyes of the first one, I thought it was a very absorbing fight.

I think Ward looked ordinary in his warm up fights at LH and lost a step, this was shown up a little when faced a world class LH in Kovalev.
    Kovalev seems to have a much longer reach on Ward then he actually has; He measured Ward brilliantly at long range for a good chunk of the first fight.

I lean towards a mid rounds stoppage win for Kovalev, though im rooting for Ward. Maybe he has one great fight left in him, his best days were at super middle /the super six fights . If he has , it could be a cracker. Will be fascinating to see if he tries to hold his feet a bit with Kovalev , Ward seems to have bulked up a bit for this fight.

Froch and Nelson leaning heavily with Kovalev and predicting possible stoppage. Bellew says Ward a very slight favourite.

I have a feeling Kovalev is going to show us his superiority tonight. He has more to dish out. Ward I feel will again be trying to keep up and survive, but this time against a more aggressive and heavier hitting Kovalev.

If Kovalev really performs and brings it and Ward takes it and gives more back to win he will get serious credit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 882 ✭✭✭moneymad

What time are they expected to be in the ring at?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,869 ✭✭✭PeterTheNinth

moneymad wrote: »
    What time are they expected to be in the ring at?

Yea cos I'm thinking of staying up...

There are theee fights on the main card and then the main fight..0500-0530 is about right for the big fight.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 882 ✭✭✭moneymad

walshb wrote: »
    There are theee fights on the main card and then the main fight..0500-0530 is about right for the big fight.
    thanks Walsh. Fairly late so

moneymad wrote: »
    thanks Walsh. Fairly late so

Too fooking late!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,269 ✭✭✭Gamebred

Some fine acting there in rd 1 of rigo fight, oscar worthy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,908 ✭✭✭Morrison J

Drakulich has to take ownership of that. What a cluster****.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,269 ✭✭✭Gamebred

Im glad it wasnt given as a DQ, justice served there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭ThunderCat

Seemed to me that even after round 1 Flores wasn't getting close get to Rigo, wasn't getting his shots off and took his chance when it came. Didn't fancy it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,501 ✭✭✭tinpib

Kovalev ringwalk on now.

Kov looks like he's already been clocked on the nose!

Ward with a low blow there. Come on Kovalev!

• Advertisement

Close but I have Kovalev shading it, but was half watching parts of it.

Advertisement