Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Andre Ward v Sergey Kovalev 2 - 17/06

1235»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 56,729 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Morrison J wrote: »
    There is picture evidence to support the fact that they were 100% legal blows. It's an exact science when Weeks says before the fight that the belt is OK to be hit and that's exactly where Ward lands. That narrative that low blows slowed him down is way off to me. It was bodywork.

Paulie got fooled by Kovalev's play acting as Sky didn't have good angles or replays on them.

Grand.

Still the fight was ended by low blows.....

The rest is all ifs and buts!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,234 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

walshb wrote: »
    Better in the rematch.....

Did he say better in the sense that he was the better man on Saturday? I don't think so.

I think he means that Ward was better in fight 2 than in fight 1.

He explicitly said in the post fight press conference Ward was better in fight 2, but he was talking about Ward performance in fight 1 v fight 2.

Andre Ward was better in fight 2 then he was in fight 1. No argument there from anyone I assume

He also said Ward was not the best he has fought, but certainly the best dirty fighter :D

I think Ward has certainly been the best he fought though tbf, that part was salty reasoning on his part is all.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,915 ✭✭✭Morrison J

He also said Ward was not the best he has fought, but certainly the best dirty fighter :D

I think Ward has certainly been the best he fought though tbf, that part was salty reasoning on his part is all.

He also said that the right hand that wobbled him didn't hurt him..damaged pride I suppose. He laughed at the weigh in when it was put to him that Virgil Hunter was predicting a Ward KO.

He also said that the right hand that wobbled him didn't hurt him..damaged pride I suppose. He laughed at the weigh in when it was put to him that Virgil Hunter was predicting a Ward KO.

Sure of course he laughed.....

Remember, he really thought he won fight 1, and also may have felt that Ward never came close to really hurting him.

Then he hears some creeper predicting a complete turn around type scenario.....he could only laugh.

Probably wasn't the only one either.

He conceded it hurt him but not to some extent that he could not fight

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

Just rewatched the fight start to finish, that stoppage looks even more of a nonsense on the second go round.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,640 ✭✭✭SHOVELLER

Have you seen the video I posted above yet? That is 100% conclusive evidence that Kovalev pretended at least once. Shot is clearly legal and Kovalev starts play acting pretending it was low. You don't do that unless you are feeling the pressure and are desperately looking for a breather.

That video is pretty conclusive alright and I never thought he would do something like that. Truly a shame and I think his first loss and the manner of it almost broke him and definitely destroyed his aura and confidence. Ward too much of a clever ring master for him and it told.

I'm in agreement with MorrisonJ here, as much of a Kovalev fan I am (and I think he won the 1st fight fairly clearly) he was clearly troubled by body shots from early doors on Saturday night and in my view he wanted out even before the last punch (which was low but not down low).

All Credit to Ward he fought an excellent fight.

Agree completely even though I dont know what early doors is.

But still what is gnawing is I feel Weeks acted prematurely. As for a third fight who has the appetite for that?

SHOVELLER wrote: »

But still what is gnawing is I feel Weeks acted prematurely. As for a third fight who has the appetite for that?

More pressing is did Weeks act maliciously/unfairly? Do we believe that he genuinely did not see the final low blows? Did he see them and not act professionally?

Others saw the blows, yes many on replay, but Weeks was right up close and Ward targeted the "body" deliberately, so why did Weeks not see or choose to not act if he did see?

The fight and its result/ending stink...

Even if we agree that SK was playing up the other low blows, that has nothing to do with the end of the fight.

Fighters complain all the time to referees fairly and unfairly. I think he may have playacted to a degree but also he was justified to a degree. Bit of both.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭Burial.

66pymGe.jpg

Class photo

• Advertisement

He put everything into that punch, full weight behind it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭ThunderCat

It's doubtful there will be a third fight by all accounts so it would be nice to see Stevenson v Kovalev next, if it can ever get made.

Kovalev offers nothing to Adonis now. No belt, no payday and it's likely he loses his belt and gets starched hard. Meanwhile vs. Ward you've a shot for unification, a good payday and you're less likely to get KO'd hard. Kovalev will have to rebuild. New trainers and a new promotion outfit. I heard Kovalev is set to make less than $15,000 for his efforts last weekend which is disgusting but hey Kathy Duva is poison to the core. I think Kovalev should pursue Barrera and/or Smith Jr., then maybe he gets a shot at a belt again. By that time I expect Ward to have unified and retired leaving all belts free again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,562 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

15K is a disgrace if true .

What next for Ward?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,222 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Wow, why only 15k?

Was the gate and PPV that bad?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

$15000? Is that a typo? He obviously earned way more than that. He got $2m from the first fight. Not sure how the pay per view figures went this time around but he'll probably get about the same again, maybe slightly less. Ward pocketed $6.5m in each fight. Nice work!

• Advertisement

The 15k if true is criminal. I don't believe it.

And something like this wouldn't be known so soon.

I saw the 15k figure on reddit.

Here's the GTD for just turning up, as you see Kovalev didn't get a red cent
    8a3c2f419d0932bd52d9fd8aea75f2f9.png

Tickets and PPV won't be making him a tonne I'd imagine. A few friends of mine bought this lad and his son a few pints for free tickets Saturday afternoon. Apparently they were being handed out. PPV definitely affected by Mayweather/McGregor announcement and with very little promotion/buzz it wasn't going to do great anyway. 100k buys would probably be a success. Now Sergey ain't getting 100% of that...and that's before taxes and fees for his team. He's making f*ck all from this. His entire team needs to be fired.

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭hbhook

I think he's getting 75% of their take of the PPV and tickets. Ward is sorted obviously but it's coming from RocNation directly. I've wondered as Hearn also asked yesterday, where the **** i JayZ in all of this?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

Burial. wrote: »
    I saw the 15k figure on reddit.

Here's the GTD for just turning up, as you see Kovalev didn't get a red cent
    8a3c2f419d0932bd52d9fd8aea75f2f9.png

Tickets and PPV won't be making him a tonne I'd imagine. A few friends of mine bought this lad and his son a few pints for free tickets Saturday afternoon. Apparently they were being handed out. PPV definitely affected by Mayweather/McGregor announcement and with very little promotion/buzz it wasn't going to do great anyway. 100k buys would probably be a success. Now Sergey ain't getting 100% of that...and that's before taxes and fees for his team. He's making f*ck all from this. His entire team needs to be fired.
    Fcuk all comparatively but way more than $15000. Fight did about 150000 buys. Multiply that by $55 = roughly $8m. Main Events slice of that is probably about $3.5m. Kovalev would get 3/4 of that. Obviously that's a very rough calculation. Take out cost of undercard etc and add his share of ticket sales but Kov still ends up with close to $2m.

hbhook wrote: »
    I think he's getting 75% of their take of the PPV and tickets. Ward is sorted obviously but it's coming from RocNation directly. I've wondered as Hearn also asked yesterday, where the **** i JayZ in all of this?

Some of the aul dolls have been yapping this and that about Beyonce having twins on one of the whatsapp groups. So I presume he's watching over her before returning to his proper job of breaking her hip every night in their million dollar bed.

• Advertisement

Some of the aul dolls have been yapping this and that about Beyonce having twins on one of the whatsapp groups. So I presume he's watching over her before returning to his proper job of breaking her hip every night in their million dollar bed.
    Haha, yeah but wasn't he M.I.A. for the first fight too? Could've shown his face a couple of times or tweeted! He's giving money away to Ward is alls I'm saying.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭ThunderCat

Kovalev offers nothing to Adonis now. No belt, no payday and it's likely he loses his belt and gets starched hard. Meanwhile vs. Ward you've a shot for unification, a good payday and you're less likely to get KO'd hard. Kovalev will have to rebuild. New trainers and a new promotion outfit. I heard Kovalev is set to make less than $15,000 for his efforts last weekend which is disgusting but hey Kathy Duva is poison to the core. I think Kovalev should pursue Barrera and/or Smith Jr., then maybe he gets a shot at a belt again. By that time I expect Ward to have unified and retired leaving all belts free again.

Good point. I was naively thinking along the lines that a fight for Kovalev against Stevenson is a chance for Kov to get some belts but seeing as the fight couldn't be made when Kov was a belt holder he has no chance of securing that fight now given how big of a risk that would be for Stevenson with little to gain except a big name on his CV should he pull off the victory.

I would like to see Ward unify in that case but I doubt Stevenson would be keen on that either. The talk this morning is that Bellew v Ward might be on the cards at Cruiserweight. Ward could surprise us all and decide to join that super six type thing at Cruiser that is supposedly happening.

125000 PPVs according to Kevin Iole.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭wonderfullife

hbhook wrote: »
    125000 PPVs according to Kevin Iole.

I honestly don't think the Mayweather-McGregor announcement helped their cause at all. Took all of the media spotlight off them during fight week when they needed it most.

Advertisement