Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Good Lens for canon (newbie)

• 13-05-2017 12:43pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,486 ✭✭✭

Hi All,

I recently purchased a canon 700d with 18-55m kit lens and 50m stm.

I am thinking of buying a new lens.

I love my nifty-50 stm however its really only benefiting me for closeups/portraits etc.

I like to take alot of landscapes shots more like what the eye can see and I was thinking of the Canon EF-S 24 mm 1:2,8 STM Pancake . Price wise I can get it for about ?120 new

Now I have started to look at other options.

Samyang 14mm F2.8 ED AS IF UMC Lens f/2.8 for Canon EF for ?209 to me seems like a better deal however has anyone experienced this company?

Tamron SP 28-75mm f/2.8 XR Di LD Aspherical(IF) Macro Lens A09E for around the same price.

Can any one help advise on the pros/cons of each?

Thanks

Skinny

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

I've a tamron 18-200 which serves me well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,486 ✭✭✭skinny90

Hey,
    Thanks for your response.
    What model is it you have?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

skinny90 wrote: »
    I love my nifty-50 stm however its really only benefiting me for closeups/portraits etc.

Nifty fifties are less nifty when they're 80's (which they are for you).

ED E wrote: »
    Nifty fifties are less nifty when they're 80's (which they are for you).

And that's before we even start to think about compression.

OP, what do you want to use the new lens for? 14mm, 24mm, 28-70mm.. It's like you just want a lens for the sake of having another lens! :P

If you already have a kit lens covering 18-55, either go wide or go telephoto. 14mm 2.8 for landscapes would be nice or 55-200/250 or 70-300 for more reach.

But don't be buying lenses just for the hell of it. Decide what you want to do and then figure out what you need to do it. Buying gear isn't photography, as much as it might seem that way with all we see/read at times.

Hi all,
    Yes I'm aware having cropped sensor and the effects of it. Mainly I want a lens to capture Landscape shots and being out and about. I want a lens that's as close as to the human eye as possible.
    Does that help?
    I appreciate all the responses thus far
    Vin

• Advertisement

Typically 35mm on a crop sensor DSLR then.

You already have that covered by your 18-55 with decent padding either side.

If you just want another lens, sure buy another lens. IMHO, it won't really do a damned thing for your pictures if you can't push the limits of what you have already.

A decent 18mp body like you have, a reasonable kit lens such as the 18-55 and a tripod is all you need to be able to capture great landscapes, with that 'natural' focal length right there in your bag already.

If you haven't bought a tripod and studied composition a little, do that before you go looking to buy another lens. Buy a decent tripod as cheap tripods are pure muck. You'll rue the day you picked something cheap and cheerful, because they're only ever cheap and nasty.

If you don't believe me, just go and look for 'sample images' people have taken with the specific model of kit lens you have right now. I guarantee you'll be absolutely blown away at some of the results.

https://pixelpeeper.com/lenses/?lens=25

It's easy to think a lens will fix a problem but for 99.99% of people, that's simply not the case.

Hey man
    Thanks for your response, it is helpful.
    It's good to know about the kit lens.
    Yeah I have a tripod, bought a monfrotto for about £50 in the airport. It's grand for now but I will more than likely upgrade.
    Vin

• Registered Users Posts: 15 JoshN1

I've heard a lot about Tamron SP 28-75mm F / 2.8 XR Di LD Aspherical (IF) Macro Lens A09E.
    I did not use it myself, but my email-friends say that it's it can be bought for such purposes.

Advertisement