Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Cheap power bank

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 405 ✭✭PreCocious

honda boi wrote: »
    Amazon selling this power bank, 20,000 mah for 10£. Thinking about trying addresspal for the delivery. Anyone knows what happens if they see it as a power bank?
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01HD7JVPM/?tag=ho01f-21

I use addresspal whenever I buy batteries on amazon UK. No issues.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,610 ✭✭✭shocksy

I've never had any issues using AddressPal for lithium batteries, liquids such as after shave, litre bottles of syrup etc. They have those rules just to cover themselves but I doubt very much that they go out of their way to enforce them as I've used them for this kind of stuff over a dozen times and no issues.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Probably only 4000mAh, not one reviewer has tested it. I'd get an ankher.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭Aspiring

ED E wrote: »
    Probably only 4000mAh, not one reviewer has tested it. I'd get an ankher.

There are reviews saying it charges their phone 6 or 7 times, so it's definitely not anywhere in the range of 4000 mAh. I have used this power bank, this is definitely a bargain at this price.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,071 ✭✭✭✭dodzy

"I was sent this free for a fair and unbiased review.....". Yeah, right:rolleyes:

. A 20,000mah charger for under a tenner. The quality just has to be questionable. As previously advised, with high capacity banks, go for what's proven: Anker are excellent. More expensive, granted, but quality product.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭PaulKK

dodzy wrote: »
    "I was sent this free for a fair and unbiased review.....". Yeah, right:rolleyes

There are 55 reviews and you quote that one. Good man. If you read the rest they give a fair assessment. Not as good as an anker but good value at this price.

Many also saying they have charged an iPhone 6 several times from one charge.

For a tenner I think I'll chance this. I have a 7000mAh but the 3.5A max output (2.4A per port) is appealing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭TimeToShine

Wouldn't go near this. We used to open them up and a lot of the Chinese use crappy, cheap 18650s that will ruin your phone battery. I wouldn't touch anyone that doesn't use panasonics or samsungs batteries. The best brand going is Mophie and maybe Belkin but they cost a pretty penny, Anker have started cutting corners but their first and second gen stuff is still really good. Kmashi are a Japanese company that make surprisingly good stuff at reasonable prices as of last year but I can't attest to whether or not they have maintained that standard of quality. Even better, if you can get one of those slim power banks that doesn't use 18650s you will effectively double your chance of getting a quality product, but at the cost of size. If your phone is sub 200 euro or has a replaceable battery then it shouldn't really matter, but I wouldn't be charging a new iPhone or flagship with a cheap 10 euro power bank.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,071 ✭✭✭✭dodzy

PaulKK wrote: »
    There are 55 reviews and you quote that one. Good man. If you read the rest they give a fair assessment. Not as good as an anker but good value at this price.

Many also saying they have charged an iPhone 6 several times from one charge.

For a tenner I think I'll chance this. I have a 7000mAh but the 3.5A max output (2.4A per port) is appealing.

Knock yourself out.

Wouldn't go near this. We used to open them up and a lot of the Chinese use crappy, cheap 18650s that will ruin your phone battery.

Thats just wrong. How is a cheap cell going to damage the phone? A REALLY bad USB transformer might. Dud cells wont.

The danger with cheap cells is them venting but most have pressure caps that manage that now, even the 500mAh junkers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭TimeToShine

ED E wrote: »
    Thats just wrong. How is a cheap cell going to damage the phone? A REALLY bad USB transformer might. Dud cells wont.

The danger with cheap cells is them venting but most have pressure caps that manage that now, even the 500mAh junkers.

They are frequently unprotected batteries and the current discharge rate can be very erratic. Buy a USB ammeter and hook it up to your cheap battery and tell me how much the output varies by. Compare it to the output from your original Samsung/Apple wall plug. I'm not saying it'll fry the battery outright but it'll degrade it faster over time.

To be honest you are welcome to use cheap chargers if you want. I'm just telling you that from my experience unless you are happy to replace your phone every year then stick to original wall plugs and decent quality power banks.

FWIW the OP power bank probably is 20k (looks like 8 2600 mAh 18650s crammed in there) but the max charging capacity you'll get from that is probably around 14k. Certainly won't be 4k anyway.

• Advertisement

They are frequently unprotected batteries and the current discharge rate can be very erratic. Buy a USB ammeter and hook it up to your cheap battery and tell me how much the output varies by. Compare it to the output from your original Samsung/Apple wall plug. I'm not saying it'll fry the battery outright but it'll degrade it faster over time.

Have done so.

4.8 - 5.5v bounces will do nothing as the charging circuit has to transform it back down to 4.2v anyway so input voltage is mostly irrelevant. No harm at all.

And QC handsets go as far as 9v.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭banchang

honda boi wrote: »
    Amazon selling this power bank, 20,000 mah for 10£. Thinking about trying addresspal for the delivery. Anyone knows what happens if they see it as a power bank?
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01HD7JVPM/?tag=ho01f-21

Currently unavailable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,203 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

I got two of these (Mine is the 3 star review), paid 17 pound each for them.

I wasn't mad about the build quality as per the review. Also you need to manually turn it on.

Its definitely fairly high capacity, have not verified its 20K, but its definitely going to charge your phone 5 or 6 times at least

Their customer service is interesting, they emailed me 3 times after my review, I never replied to any of them. Just looking back on them there they even offered a full refund without requiring a return. The reason i say interesting, rather than very good, is that would obviously be good for me, but I kind of felt like they were trying to buy my silence! Which I guess wouldn't be good for everyone. I was suprised to see how little low start reviews there are for the product, but I guess they are customer servicing them away.

I would definitely buy them at 10 pound a pop, but if there isn't a huge difference between them and the Anker ones I would go anker.

Advertisement