Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Broadband speeds slow to non existent

Options
  • 13-05-2017 1:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 22,655 ✭✭✭✭

Good morning guys, 

I'm getting in touch on behalf of my parents, who have been dealing with slow to non existent broadband speeds for quite a while now. Calls to the complaint number, (when they can get through) the most recent being two weeks ago, haven't brought any resolution - I have records of the complaint number assigned to them if necessary. 

Speed tests report the download speed at 0.85 Mbps, and upload speed won't register, so bad is the connection. For much of the day the internet simply doesn't work, instead reporting a DSL error. Submitting this thread took multiple attempts, which somewhat illustrates the severity of the issue.

As I am home of only a couple of weeks, and the internet is the only means by which my parents can keep in touch with family overseas, I'd like this resolved ASAP, particularly as multiple complaints have been made regarding this issue with little to no return. If not, please inform us as such and we will be looking to other broadband providers to remedy this. 

Regards,
    ~Mike

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,655 ✭✭✭✭Tokyo

About 75% downtime yesterday, which is par for the course these days. 0.8Mbps download speed this morning, upload again too unstable to be measurable. I'd like a response on this ASAP please, as the internet as it stands, is pretty much unusable. 

• Closed Accounts Posts: 214 ✭✭eir: Leanne

Hi, Mike_ie

Thanks for getting in touch with us today.

I would recommend contacting the technical team & troubleshooting the issues you are experiencing. You can contact them on 1890260260 or freephone 1901 option 2.

Thanks, 
    Leanne.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,655 ✭✭✭✭Tokyo

Hi Leanne, 

thank you for the information. I contacted the number provided, and it turns out that there is an issue on the line between home and exchange. As it turns out, rather than actually fix the issue, the last technician had the broadband speed cranked down to below 1Mbps in order to keep the connection stable, which seems like an interesting non-solution to the problem. A technician should be coming out in the next few days to hopefully remedy this, and not simply dial down the speed again.

Is it standard practice to reduce broadband speeds like that rather than fix the issue at the source? Particularly as we were not informed of any of this, and have been paying broadband charges for non-broadband speeds (assuming we could get a connection at all - see ~75% downtime above) for quite a while now? 

Regards,
    Mike

• Closed Accounts Posts: 214 ✭✭eir: Leanne

Hi mike_ie,

No problem at all.:)

I am happy to hear there is a technician due out to your premises in the next couple of days to resolve this issue for you. However, I do have to advise a fault can take up to 3-5 working days to resolve. 

In some cases, a technician would have to reduce the broadbands speeds to stabilise the connection. Unfortunately,  as we can not guarantee broadband speeds to any of our customers, these prices would still stay the same. 

Thanks,
    Leanne.

Advertisement