Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Schools in Limerick 2017?

• 13-05-2017 2:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8

Hi all- we are considering moving to the Limerick area - UL- and have a baby boy under 1. I've read a lot online about schools in Limerick being oversubscribed. But many posts date back a few years.

What are schools like now? Does it matter what primary you choose with regard to secondary choice later on? I've heard stories about people having to send their kids to schools far away from their home and we don't want that to happen if we can avoid it.

I would choose to send him to a gaelscoil - but then what are our choices for secondary?

Also ideally it would be a non-denominational school - I réalisé this might not be possible but as he is not baptized will that go against us in terms of admission to primary or secondary?

We just need to live within striking distance of UL so considering Castleconnell CastleTroy Killaloe Ennis, even North Circular Road (traffic a pain?)

Know absolutely nothing about this area and would love some local feedback and advise if anyone can help!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭stuckintipp

Before you get concerned about National schools have you sorted crèche? Major waiting lists in many areas, especially around UL.

Most national schools in limerick, especially in the growing areas won't accept children until they are five. For the most party you have to live locally to gain access but like everything in Irish society there are ways around if you 'know' people or if your company sponsors etc etc

I firmly believe that in the vast majority of cases your child will do well in any school, a solid and supportive family background is number one, instilling a good respect for education and encouraging the child to be their best is much more important than getting into school x because it has people from a certain back ground.

The only Irish sec school for boys is GCL, It has a good rep, now mind you if you believe the principals hype it's the best in Ireland, but not with standing the over ambitious boasting it does do well when it comes to the third level college ratings. (I won't go into the lower than expected achievement of Gael Choiliste students in 3rd level v LC points achieved) If your son however wants to have any sporting ambitions in school I could not recommend it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Patricia95

Thank you! Yes I also think supportive background is most important. Is there a secondary Irish medium school which is co-ed?

And thanks for heads up on the crèche -I hadn't thought of that being oversubscribed too! I'd like to send him to a naíonra if we can.

And thanks for heads up on the crèche -I hadn't thought of that being oversubscribed too! I'd like to send him to a naíonra if we can.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,499 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

There are no non denom primary schools in Ireland .

Patricia95 wrote: »
    Thank you! Yes I also think supportive background is most important. Is there a secondary Irish medium school which is co-ed?

For boys the only secondary school option is GCL, Gael Choilaiste luimigh, but like I mentioned above the pros are good LC results while the negatives are 3rd level underperformance (this applies to all gael Choilaiste not only the limerick one) and sports.

Crèche place is important as they are so tight, by the time your son gets to secondary school things will have altered from my knowledge of the current situation.

I heard the educate together are non denominational, but I know nothing about what those schools are like in Limerick in particular....

The Gael scoil in Castletroy has a Naionra attached, I've no direct knowledge of it.

I know two sets of parents that sent their child to the Gael scoil in Castletroy, one had positive things to say, one set of parents did not. I have little experience with the school.

• Advertisement

I heard the educate together are non denominational, but I know nothing about what those schools are like in Limerick in particular....

There is no educate together secondary school in limerick at the moment. One may be on be way in the next year or so.

My only knowledge is thru a friend that works in one, one friend in one school, based on her experiences I would avoid, but each to their own.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 103 ✭✭rockwell

Hi all- we are considering moving to the Limerick area - UL- and have a baby boy under 1. I've read a lot online about schools in Limerick being oversubscribed. But many posts date back a few years.

What are schools like now? Does it matter what primary you choose with regard to secondary choice later on? I've heard stories about people having to send their kids to schools far away from their home and we don't want that to happen if we can avoid it.

I would choose to send him to a gaelscoil - but then what are our choices for secondary?

Also ideally it would be a non-denominational school - I réalisé this might not be possible but as he is not baptized will that go against us in terms of admission to primary or secondary?

We just need to live within striking distance of UL so considering Castleconnell CastleTroy Killaloe Ennis, even North Circular Road (traffic a pain?)

Know absolutely nothing about this area and would love some local feedback and advise if anyone can help!!

If it's UL that your working then there is the Silver Apples Creche on campus for staff/student members but again you should be talking to them now as they are limited in terms of numbers they can take especially for the younger years. I've had my own two kids there with the last finishing up there this year. Have been very happy with the service over the years. Our older kid is in Gael Scoil Castletroy and the younger will be starting there in Sept. No complaints, kid loves it and teachers have been great so far. Like that they start at 8.30am so can drop off on way to work. As someone mentioned there is a naíonra attached to the school but i've no experience of it. I think a lot will have changed in the secondary school scene by the time you and i will need it. Talks of a new secondary being built in castletroy area and the gael secondary getting new buildings. Good luck with it all.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,499 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

For boys the only secondary school option is GCL, Gael Choilaiste luimigh, but like I mentioned above the pros are good LC results while the negatives are 3rd level underperformance (this applies to all gael Choilaiste not only the limerick one) and sports.

Do you have proof that Gaelcholáiste students underperform at 3rd level, please
    ?
    Educate Together , like a number of Gaelscoils are multi-denominational , not non - denom.

A multi-denom gaelscoil would be great! Do you know where those are located please? Thanks so much folks for your help!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,694 ✭✭✭thesimpsons

Do you have proof that Gaelcholáiste students underperform at 3rd level, please
    ?

+1 ^

with 2 children gone through gaelcholaiste and 3rd level and from their many friends and classmates, I don't see that underperformance to be true in the least.

Advertisement