Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Who are your top ten irish cyclists ever?

Options
  • 13-05-2017 3:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭

Hi, just debating last night who are the top ten professional irish cyclists ever? We were fairly agreed about top ten,with a handful of discrepancies,Here's my tuppence worth...

1 sean kelly
    2 stephen roche
    3 shay elliot
    4 martin earley
    5 dan martin
    6 nicholas roche
    7 sam bennett
    8 martin irvine
    9 paul kimmage
    10 philip deignan

I'm open to changing my mind or other cyclists I might have forgotten.Interesting to see what others think

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,255 ✭✭✭MPFGLB

I would not put Kimmage before Deignan

And that list will change soon with Mullen & Dunbar both world class ...just a few more years

• Registered Users Posts: 13,761 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

1. Sean Kelly
    2. Stephen Roche
    3. Shay Elliot
    4. Dan Martin
    5. Martyn Irvine
    6. Nicholas Roche
    7. Martin Earley
    8. Sam Bennett
    9. Philip Deignan
    10. Paul Kimmage

Would bump Martyn as he has been a track world champ, drop Earley a few spots as his palmares is not as good as Roche or Dan, but with a GC stage win he betters Bennett for now. Kimmage last because his integrity with regard to doping he never had any chance of getting results.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

Martin Earley has two Grand Tour wins, one in TdF and one in Giro, and represented Ireland in the XC MTB Olympic Race in 1996, but still not enough to push him past Nico Roche.

Kimmage doped as a rider btw

Nico Roche has a top 5 and a top 6 in a GT ..as well as 2 GT stage wins

• Advertisement

MPFGLB wrote: »
    Kimmage doped as a rider btw

Yep I have read his book, but it seems to suggest he did it once or twice and that was the extent of it and only as a measure to get round, not to the level where he might be winning races.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭Casula

Going back a bit in time I know but any space on that list for the likes of Alo Donegan? Despite not being a pro, his achievements for the era he cycled in still look impressive: First cyclist to break the hour in 25-mile TT, Navan Road, 1934.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,430 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

If you're going to include non pros then 'arry (Reynolds) must deserve a mention.

I must admit I never heard of Alo Donegan or 'arry Reynolds

Is there an Irish cycling hall of fame?

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭Casula

Yes. It's here - http://www.cyclingireland.ie/page/about/hall-of-fame

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

Yes and both of the above are in it

Thanks

I suppose Martyn Irvine will be in it one day

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Redfence74

What about Mark scanlon

Redfence74 wrote: »
    What about Mark scanlon

Obviously Junior world champion but beyond that he never really made enough of an impact at senior level to breach this top 10, close between him and Kimmage for the final spot though I guess.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

1 sean kelly
    2 stephen roche
    3 dan martin
    4 nicholas roche
    5 shay elliot
    6 martin earley
    7 sam bennett
    8 philip deignan
    9 paul kimmage
    10 Ciaran Power

Tweaked the order, took Martyn out as he has not (yet) done enough on the road. Ciaran has a GT finish and 2 raseanna verall wins as well as a number of stages wins and one day ones as well.

Alan McCormack and John Brady there or thereabouts too.

Dan in 3rd and he has 2 monuments as well as GT top 10's and stages.
    Nico above Martin early as he has overall GT top 10's which i would rate above stages (my opinion).

• Registered Users Posts: 30,540 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Hard to find fault with the list from @Robfowl.

Very hard to separate Nico & Shay Elliot... Nico wins on longevity (15 GTs completed), but Shay had a podium Vuelta finish.
    I think both of them above Martin Earley as a high Grand Tour finish is worth a few stage wins.

Right now I would put Phil Deignan just above Sam Bennett, but I expect Sam B to overtake Deignan, Earley and maybe Nico and Shay over his career.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,338 ✭✭✭Lusk_Doyle

Nico and Dan one and two cos that's whom my kids are named after! The rest can fight it out amongst themselves!

• Registered Users Posts: 30,540 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Lusk_Doyle wrote: »
    Nico and Dan one and two cos that's whom my kids are named after! The rest can fight it out amongst themselves!

What, no Stephen!?
    I suppose Earley would seem a little Victorian.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭padohaodha

Lusk_Doyle wrote: »

Good job you werent a fan of this fella :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 523 ✭✭✭Mugser

RobFowl wrote: »
    1 sean kelly
    2 stephen roche
    3 dan martin
    4 nicholas roche
    5 shay elliot
    6 martin earley
    7 sam bennett
    8 philip deignan
    9 paul kimmage
    10 Ciaran Power

Tweaked the order, took Martyn out as he has not (yet) done enough on the road. Ciaran has a GT finish and 2 raseanna verall wins as well as a number of stages wins and one day ones as well.

Alan McCormack and John Brady there or thereabouts too.

Dan in 3rd and he has 2 monuments as well as GT top 10's and stages.
    Nico above Martin early as he has overall GT top 10's which i would rate above stages (my opinion).

1 sean kelly
    2 stephen roche
    3 dan martin
    4 nicholas roche
    5 shay elliot
    6 martin earley
    7 sam bennett
    8 philip deignan
    9 Ciaran Power
    10 Ryan Mullen

I'd take Kimmage off the list, Ciaran has Irelands top ever Olympics finish too (joint top with Dan now since last year though) + he never doped!
    Mullen for his performance in the worlds TT last year gets a nod

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,099 ✭✭✭morana

well if kimmage is gone for doping that means others have to go too.

PEter crinion, Liam horner, peter doyle and if you put nicohlas roche above elliot then you must be new to the sport

RobFowl only looks young but he has been round a while ... :D:D

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,430 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

RobFowl only looks young
    Have you seen him:confused::confused::confused:

:pac:

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

Beasty wrote: »
    Have you seen him:confused::confused::confused:

:pac:

Here I am

image_galleryuuidcfa53593-1acc-43b1-ac46-7e6766dbd2b3groupId10139t1494426285929

• Closed Accounts Posts: 724 ✭✭✭JK.BMC

Kelly
    Roche
    Elliott

I think this is more or less a certainty in terms of personnel for our 'top 3'

I'm not too sure about the order of the next 7 but I would have Dan, Nico, Earley, Deignan, Power, Bennett and Kimmage

Personality should be irrelevant in these kinds of polls but it can be a powerful influence when thinking of a 'legacy' or reputation and hence 'top 10 greatest....' etc

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭padohaodha

Matt brammieir or however you spell his name?

JK.BMC wrote: »
    Kelly
    Roche
    Elliott

I think this is more or less a certainty in terms of personnel for our 'top 3'

I'm not too sure about the order of the next 7 but I would have Dan, Nico, Earley, Deignan, Power, Bennett and Kimmage

Personality should be irrelevant in these kinds of polls but it can be a powerful influence when thinking of a 'legacy' or reputation and hence 'top 10 greatest....' etc

I'd rank Dan above Elliot as he has 2 monument wins and a GC top ten at the TDF, Elliot has a second at the worlds a podium at the Vuelta.

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭Exiled1

When you go below the first six pros in approx. pecking order, you must consider several guys who chose not to go to Europe as pros and, consequently never got to show their undoubted potential.
    There were two golden eras in amateur cycling in Ireland, the thirties with Alo Donegan and Harry Reynolds and the sixties with Shay O'Hanlon, Paddy Flanagan, Liam Horner and a few more.
    And what would Mick Murphy have achieved with proper training etc. ???

• Registered Users Posts: 13,425 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

padohaodha wrote: »
    Matt brammieir or however you spell his name?

Hmmm don't think I'd have Brammeier in the top-10 in my opinion.

Yes he has been National Road Race champion three times and National TT champion once, but he's never ridden a Grand Tour and has only one other pro win to his name (Stage 4 of Ster ZLM Toer GP Jan van Heeswijk in 2015).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 770 ✭✭✭Roadtoad

What's the respect and fascination for a race fixing drug taker that most include?

I'd throw in Paddy Flanagan, who used pass me on the way to work. Fast!

Advertisement