Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Petrol lawn mower recommendation

Options
  • 13-05-2017 3:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,620 ✭✭✭

My petrol lawn mower is useless. Engine is great and frame is solid but it's useless at collecting the cuttings.

I know you can't expect miracles especially with longer grass or when its damp or both. But my lawn mover never collects anything. Not even at the end of the current dry spell with the grass not being that long at all. It clogs up immediately and then just mulches and leaves the stuff all over the place. It's been like that from day 1.

To be fair it was a freebie, but a I need something decent now. This cant continue its too much hard work.

So I am asking four your recommendations please.
    Nothing fancy, just overall solid, rotary, self propelled and good at collecting the cuttings. Briggs and Stratton engines seem very good but I assume they're all decent enough. Don't want to break the bank but it doesn't have to be the cheapest one either.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,567 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Have castlegarden 21" self propelled for 18 years and it's been a wonderful mower.
    Serviced regularly bit has never missed a beat.

Bought a castle garden ride on, must be 13 years and same thing, servicing is all it's ever needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 643 ✭✭✭john_doe.

I was looking at the Hyundai

https://hyundaipowerequipment.co.uk/hyundai-hym51spe-electric-start-self-propelled-4-in-1-petrol-rotary-lawnmower/

It has very mixed reviews , its a good price around 550-600 but some says it's brilliant others it's impossible to start.

Also looking at Honda

http://www.hanlysgardenmachinery.ie/product-information/hrd-536-qxe-honda

Big difference in price honda comes in at e1400.

My price range is up to e1200 as Its a new buy want something reliable and last for years.
    I'd like to find a bargain in the Hyundai as it doesn't have a big a name however the reviews are off putting

Also looking einhall and weibang but very hard to get opinions on those

john_doe. wrote: »

https://hyundaipowerequipment.co.uk/hyundai-hym51spe-electric-start-self-propelled-4-in-1-petrol-rotary-lawnmower/

It has very mixed reviews , its a good price around 550-600 but some says it's brilliant others it's impossible to start.

Also looking at Honda

http://www.hanlysgardenmachinery.ie/product-information/hrd-536-qxe-honda

Big difference in price honda comes in at e1400.

My price range is up to e1200 as Its a new buy want something reliable and last for years.
    I'd like to find a bargain in the Hyundai as it doesn't have a big a name however the reviews are off putting

Also looking einhall and weibang but very hard to get opinions on those

I have the rover pro 560 22 inch self propelled. It's the one with a Briggs 850 engine €1000. I'm using it commercial for the past 2 years. A few minor problems but I'm cutting around 25 - 30 lawns a week with it for the summer.

I have the rover pro 560 22 inch self propelled. It's the one with a Briggs 850 engine €1000. I'm using it commercial for the past 2 years. A few minor problems but I'm cutting around 25 - 30 lawns a week with it for the summer.

Thanks , that looks good , nice big mower too by look of it as I've a large garden to cut

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭lotmc

I bought this one yesterday

http://www.argos.ie/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Search?storeId=10152&catalogId=14551&langId=111&searchTerms=4556086&authToken=

Not sure if it was ever €470, but it is a bargain at €260. I already have a smaller push qualcast, and hasnt let me down for 6 years, but I havent had it serviced (just add oil every so often). Basic but reliable.

• Advertisement

lotmc wrote: »
    I bought this one yesterday

http://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/4556086/c_1/1%7Ccategory_root%7CGarden+and+DIY%7C14418702/c_2/3%7C19285823%7CLawnmowers%7C14418813/c_3/4%7Ccat_14418813%7CPetrol+mowers%7C14418820.htm?_$ja=tsid%3A30390%7Cprd%3A7337207

Not sure if it was ever €470, but it is a bargain at €260. I already have a smaller push qualcast, and hasnt let me down for 6 years, but I havent had it serviced (just add oil every so often). Basic but reliable.

Link not working

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,705 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

I've a husky with a Honda engine it's a great bit of kit and I've had it 4 years
    It's still like new and I mow around 1/4 acre

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭lotmc

Link not working

Try www.Argos.ie product code 4556086

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭D0NNELLY

Recently bought a John Deere self drive with briggs and Stratton engine from Dublin Grass Machinery in ashtown.

Very happy with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,620 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

Thanks for all the suggestions, much appreciated. To clarify, I don't cut commercially but the garden is about 800m^2 and needs cutting once a week. Twice a week in growing season.

I was looking at one of the Hondas myself (around €600) and they mention paying particular attention to the flow of cuttings in the machine. Looks very solid too. But they're not cheap, the one I looked at ticks all the boxes but is at the lower end for Hondas. Any experience with those guys?

This Hyundai looks good too and is a bit cheaper.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭griffzinho

Has to be a Honda. Honda Izy range. Great mowers. Light, reliable and perform extremely well.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,567 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Thanks for all the suggestions, much appreciated. To clarify, I don't cut commercially but the garden is about 800m^2 and needs cutting once a week. Twice a week in growing season.

I was looking at one of the Hondas myself (around ?600) and they mention paying particular attention to the flow of cuttings in the machine. Looks very solid too. But they're not cheap, the one I looked at ticks all the boxes but is at the lower end for Hondas. Any experience with those guys?

I'd rule out the Hyundai straight off as is has neither the Briggs and Stratton or Honda Engine.

At work we run maybe 20-30owers mixers and various stuff and no other engine would be tolerated, strong reliable and easily serviced.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,985 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

I was looking at one of the Hondas myself (around €600) and they mention paying particular attention to the flow of cuttings in the machine. Looks very solid too. But they're not cheap, the one I looked at ticks all the boxes but is at the lower end for Hondas. Any experience with those guys?

That looks very like the Honda I have for about 5 years...... Which I got as a hand me down from bro in law who probably had it for 7 or 8 years before that! Still going strong with a regular service

I wouldn't be interested in that battery start and simply looked at the same model with just pull start. Significantly cheaper, too. It looks and sounds a good mower, getting good reviews.

The Honda seems a no frills good solid machine by all accounts and gets one or two positive mentions when it comes to collecting cuttings. I like that, but at €600 there's a definite price jump from your typical best-value local garden centre mower.

I wouldn't be interested in that battery start and simply looked at the same model with just pull start. Significantly cheaper, too. It looks and sounds a good mower, getting good reviews.

The Honda seems a no frills good solid machine by all accounts and gets one or two positive mentions when it comes to collecting cuttings. I like that, but at €600 there's a definite price jump from your typical best-value local garden centre mower.

Ya it has some great reviews then mixed ones , I like the look of it , I would be hopping that it is a bargain as not as well a name n industry but could be in years , Honda had to start from somewhere too.

Be interested if any users here had experience with it.
    We know Honda & BS engines are good but is this worth a punt.

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭Supertoucher

_Brian wrote: »
    I'd rule out the Hyundai straight off as is has neither the Briggs and Stratton or Honda Engine.

I have the Hyundai HYM51SPE and whilst it is a bit of a no frills mower, it is a total war horse. Never fails to start, is powerful and fundamentally sturdy. It cheaps out a bit in trim , with some plasticky bits, but the same spec in a Honda would be over a grand.

How about the cuttings, do they get stuck or does it collect them well?

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭Supertoucher

As with most - fine when dry - not so much when it's wet.

Advertisement