Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where to buy Silverskin Onions?

Options
  • 13-05-2017 3:35pm
    Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,921 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭

Does anyone have any ideas where in Dublin I'd get silverskin onions? I want to try pickling them. I did pickled celery with great success, however couldn't find small silverskins anywhere. I ended up attempting it with small shallots, and they've been in the pickling mixture for over a week and are still basically like raw onions - there's very little flavour penetration at all.

Would be very grateful for any help :)

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Fallon and Byrne?

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭arian

Toots wrote: »
    I ended up attempting it with small shallots, and they've been in the pickling mixture for over a week and are still basically like raw onions - there's very little flavour penetration at all.

Patience, Grasshopper :) . They'll need at least a couple of months.

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,921 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

arian wrote: »
    Patience, Grasshopper :) . They'll need at least a couple of months.

But they smell soooooo good!! I want to eat them now!! The celery was all done within about 48 hours so my patience is low :o Do I need to refrigerate them or will the vinegar mixture stop them from going rancid?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭Cheshire Cat

Just checked my mother's handwritten recipe and it says to leave them for at least 4 weeks. The vinegar mix should be enough to preserve them. Make sure to keep them in a cool, dark place.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭StripedBoxers

I am sure I have seen these in my local Dunnes, if I recall correctly, the jar has a blue or green lid with a similar coloured label.

When I am there this week I can have a look and try to get the brand name for you :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Are the ones in jars not pickled?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,705 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

Stheno wrote: »
    Are the ones in jars not pickled?

Here's ones I prepared earlier

• Registered Users Posts: 13,754 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

I am sure I have seen these in my local Dunnes, if I recall correctly, the jar has a blue or green lid with a similar coloured label.

They're already pickled. She's looking for raw ones she can pickle herself.

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,921 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

Yeah Gordon Ramsay had an epic pickled celery recipe so I want to use the same pickling recipe to do onions too. 4 weeks though. Oh man, I hope they're tasty at the end of it!!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,754 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

Might be worth checking out a farmers market if there's one near you

• Advertisement
Advertisement